HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
Joined Aug 2003
127 Posts
Peregrine finished!

I just finished painting my Peregrine. I'm happy with how it turned out. I used a Badger 150 airbrush with Createx paint. It definately looks like a falcon at a distance. So far I just got one test flight in. Thanks Lee and TJ for a great kit! I know I'll have alot of fun with it.
JLeyland is offline Find More Posts by JLeyland
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2009, 12:54 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
J, Great job...that should look totally authentic in the air...expect frequent attacks from local residents!!
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk
Old Feb 17, 2009, 02:19 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeyland
I just finished painting my Peregrine. I'm happy with how it turned out. I used a Badger 150 airbrush with Createx paint. It definately looks like a falcon at a distance. So far I just got one test flight in. Thanks Lee and TJ for a great kit! I know I'll have alot of fun with it.
Great job!!!! I love the paint. How did you get the spotted affect on the bottom? Did you prep the foam? Did you seal the paint with a clear coat after?

I'm going to experiment with my new air brush over the paint on my darker Peregrine. I also have two more kits waiting for paint. I'd paint them but I'm a chicken.

Did you use an AXI motor? What is the AUW weight?

Did you get the trims and throws all set up the first try? I love how mine flies but I still am trying trim adjustments to get it to look more realistic.

The Sky Trials described in post #2 are this Saturday and I will be flying the Peregrine for a crowd. I will also take the EPP Q-Eagle. Last year there was 300+ people there for the competition. They use me as a gap filler when they are getting birds back or ready to fly.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=2
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Feb 17, 2009, 07:18 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
J, looks great. Let us know how the visibility is I have trouble distinguishing between top and bottom sometimes on my planes.

My bird is twitchy, I have the throws set very low but it still very squirrely. It is very pitchy yet does not roll that fast. I wonder if I need to move CG forward even more? I added more tail and an airfoil to try to give more nose up at speed. I can fly her but not with allot of comfort.
jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2003
127 Posts
Thanks for the compliments! Wynterhawk - I hope so! There's a pair of Redtails that live in the field behind my house. We'll see if they like a Peregrine invading thier territory.

Lee - I didn't do anything to prep the foam. I used water based acrylic and it works great just spraying it straight on (with a little thinning). You won't get a glossy finish though. Mabye doing a clear coat could give you the sheen that a birds feathers have? Something to try for sure... One thing with the airbrushing is to thin down your paints. Otherwise they clog pretty fast in your brush. I thin mine down to about the viscosity of milk and it works pretty well.
The nice thing about painting foam is you can always put another layer on it if it doesn't turn out how you want. Give it a shot! It doesn't add much weight. Lee get started - you'll have alot of fun and I know it'll turn out great. The spots on the bottom were done with a stencil - Here's a link http://www.shoptheartstore.com/produ...A5D7AFBDD7051#

There's no reason to buy that one though - I think you could cut the spots out of paper or thin plastic on your own and get the same or even a better effect.

The trims and throws I'm still working on. It was really windy when I flew so that's still a work in progress. I'll take the time to set it to your throws you listed in the beginning of this thread. It seemed like there was alot of pitch up with added power so I have to check the thrustline in some calm weather. I'm also going to go to an axi 2212 as I needed to add a few quarters for noseweight. (Currently using an axi 2208 34)

JP as far as visibility it is a little hard to see at times. You really have to pay attention! I guess thats what you give up in trying to make it look like a falcon. The bottom is a bit lighter so that helps a bit. I'll be sure to give a good flight report when I fly it in calmer winds. I need to fly it with the more forward CG.

-jon
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:23 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,304 Posts
Jon

Quick summary on trims. I'm still learning with this plane because of the big flying surfaces. Trim your ailerons with just a touch up or reflux. We have decided that this plane is half flying wing. If the plane pulls different at different speeds you need to change the amount of reflux. Once trimmed I can launch my plane hands off with a predictable launch.

Lee
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Feb 18, 2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:00 PM
Joined Aug 2003
127 Posts
Thanks Lee I'll give that a shot and let you know. I also have an Mscomposite Swift I'll try that on. No flying today - snow sleet rain ect. I changed out the motor to a 22 12. The weight less battery is 10.4 oz. I'd like to get a folding prop for it and just not use the spinner on it. Can't wait to fly it again!
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeyland
I also have an Mscomposite Swift I'll try that on.
What is that? Sounds cool!
jp
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:39 PM
Exmouth, Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2004
391 Posts
This is a great thread. I always wanted to do a bird model but never been able to track down any plans until now. As soon as I saw the FFF Eagle plans I knew I had to make one.
So here's what I have so far...
I hate painting so I decided to experiment with splicing two contrasting colours of Depron together.
I also took the corners off the body to give a slightly more realistic shape. My big mistake was to use UHU Por glue which won't sand and has left ugly glue lines. Apart from that I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.
Had the maiden today and it eventually flew very well. I say eventually because I found it very sensitive to CG position and elevator trim. Probably due to the very short tail. It was porpoising all over the place. I also very nearly lost it when I accidently hit the flap switch during a full speed pass!
Specs:
Wingspan - 1200mm (48"). No dihedral.
AUW - 315g (11oz) with 800mAh 2s pack.
Motor - HXT 24g 'Silver Wonder' 1500kv with GWS 8x4 prop.
Controls - elevator and ailerons.

I have built over a dozen planes in the last 2 years and this is the only one that my wife and kids have shown any interest in. They love it.
It also drives the local seagulls nuts!
brantley is offline Find More Posts by brantley
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:17 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
Brantley, man that is cool. Great idea on the color combinations...this thread has shown so many different ideas on a common theme...any flight vids??
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:27 PM
Joined Aug 2003
127 Posts
Wow great job Brantley. I love Bald Eagles - may have to put that one on the list.

JP the Swift is an epp flying wing. Flies great! Very simple and alot of fun- great combat/knock around airplane. http://www.mscompositusa.com/swift-i...ft-patrol.html
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Whereabouts are the planes for the FFF Eagle? ( is FFF-fan fold foam?)
jp
(I did search)
Last edited by jp.electrik; Feb 19, 2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:52 AM
Exmouth, Devon, UK
Joined Dec 2004
391 Posts
Thanks for the comments. No video yet. I'll try and grab some if and when the weather clears again. Flies great now I have it trimmed. Plans are from post 46 onwards. There's a bunch of them.
brantley is offline Find More Posts by brantley
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:47 AM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik
Whereabouts are the planes for the FFF Eagle? ( is FFF-fan fold foam?)
jp
(I did search)
JP

The plans are here in this thread. Here is the 42" version plans:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=59
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=98

Here is the 56" version plans:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=46
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=49

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Feb 19, 2009, 02:54 PM