Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:01 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Sorry if this link is slightly off-topic, well it's not exactly a 'bird', but boy does it fly like one - New Pterosaur Ornithopter Sordes 5-5

Perhaps this is why the Ornithopter guys always seem to be in a flap
You're on the list. Great stuff.

There used to be several bird planes on RCModeler Magazine plans. I'll have to go looking.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2008, 04:19 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
I really like the way your bird flies! tho the wing looks beyond my cutting abilities. I'd be interested in a wing/body kit!

Here's a few pics of my fan fold--epp eagle clone, patterns sent to me by a RCG member. There's a 1/4X3/8 spruce spar under the first layer, and I put some dihedral in it. Esskay 400xt powered, here's a short vid in a small area. It's more fun out in the open.

http://media.putfile.com/Fanfold-EPP-Eagle-clone

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Nov 13, 2008, 06:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
I really like the way your bird flies! tho the wing looks beyond my cutting abilities. I'd be interested in a wing/body kit!

Here's a few pics of my fan fold--epp eagle clone, patterns sent to me by a RCG member. There's a 1/4X3/8 spruce spar under the first layer, and I put some dihedral in it. Esskay 400xt powered, here's a short vid in a small area. It's more fun out in the open.

http://media.putfile.com/Fanfold-EPP-Eagle-clone

Paul
Looks good. Can you link us to the plans and I will add them to the list. How much does it weigh?

Lee
Old Nov 13, 2008, 08:25 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Lee, I lent to another RCG member, when I get them back I can trace them out.

It weighs about 20oz flying.

Paul
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Lee, I lent to another RCG member, when I get them back I can trace them out.

It weighs about 20oz flying.

Paul
I'm trying to get plans for planes for anyone watching the thread. Have the plans been published anywhere?

I have learned that the planes that can be cut with an exacto knife are the planes that have the biggest following mainly because anyone can cut them and they don't take much equipment or investment. This version of the Eagle may be very popular.

The wings with an airfoil are too complex for most people to cut. Hot wire cutting has a learning curve to get good cuts.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
No Lee, they were traced and sent to me by another member. It was his idea to use a KF style 3 step wing foil, I just copied his work. The wing is quite strong with the 3 layers and spar, I peeled the whole thing and sealed it with waterbased minwax poly before painting.

There are some wing construction pics on my blog

I'll get them back, they are in Chicago now, I'm in NH.

Paul
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:07 PM
If it flys,I can crash it
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
Praymond,

I'd like to see them as well. I think I could set the plans up to be cut by the PhlatPrinter with a little effort. In any case, I'd like a chance to try and build it even if I have to cut it out by hand. ( Shudders ) I like both yours and Lee's. I hope to see plans for both.

Tony
cptdragn is offline Find More Posts by cptdragn
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:17 AM
Joined Jun 2006
10 Posts
sketch conversion

Praymond, Cptdragn
I can easily convert the sketches to dwg, dxf, pdf, or tiff. I just need to scan them in on my plotter. It will scan 36" wide by however long. Just thought I would offer my services up as i think there are going to be a lot of people interested in this one.
MegaMega is offline Find More Posts by MegaMega
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:36 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Lee, My Fik Q plane is flying really well....so next on the list could be a Fik Eagle!
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Nov 14, 2008, 07:47 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Lee, My Fik Q plane is flying really well....so next on the list could be a Fik Eagle!
I remember you were frustrated with the Q-Wing at first. I'm glad to see that you got the plane figured out. I like flying the Q-Planes.

Draw up plans and we will post them here.

Lee

Take a look.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...Ez5H4gVOQ9l751

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...Ez5H4gVOQ5m4M1

http://benglish.net/project_pages/cu...ts/rc_hawk.htm
Last edited by Lee; Nov 14, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:19 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,095 Posts
Quote:
No Lee, they were traced and sent to me by another member. It was his idea to use a KF style 3 step wing foil, I just copied his work. The wing is quite strong with the 3 layers and spar, I peeled the whole thing and sealed it with waterbased minwax poly before painting.

There are some wing construction pics on my blog

I'll get them back, they are in Chicago now, I'm in NH.

Paul
I'm in Chicago,... pass the plans to me and I'll draw up plans and post PDFs.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Nov 14, 2008, 01:00 PM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Not completely birds.

Been lurking on this and similar threads for a while. Tried a couple elevon style in the past and had the trimming problems. I'm working on something similar to these (see site below), but adding an elevator. Looking for a little keep in the car fly wherever kinda plane that will take considerable wind. Plan on using tiny outrunner and 6in prop, maybe 30in or less wing to keep it small.

http://www.dream-flight.com/

P.S. Keep up the good work LEE. I'll keep my eye on ya.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:27 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
I flew soaring wings back when it was unpopular to fly flying wings. I've had several designs that were similar to the ALULA and I have seen the ALULA fly. I am too lazy to fly hand launch and fly gliders without a slope. I flew slope for years because we have some world class hills within 20 miles of my house.

(I still need to go fly the EPP Peregrine there)

I'm updating the post #3 bird plane list. Keep the links coming.

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Nov 14, 2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 09:38 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,095 Posts
Regarding plans for the FFF/EPP Eagle: I'll be getting a copy of Praymond's plans that I will redraw in Illustrator as vector art, so it can be easily scaled up or down to suit anyone's needs. It looks to me like the wing is a KFm3... should make a nice slow glider for long duration flights.

In a side-note, there happens to be a mated pair of red-tail hawks living in a tree at the edge of my local local city-park... every time I maiden a new plane they come to "investigate"... they've chased my little R3C-1 biplane all over, just stopping short of snatching it out of the sky. This one ought to really ruffle their feathers...
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:19 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,095 Posts
I have the plans... will illustrate immediately, if not sooner.