HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:19 PM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Lee I'm with ya on the plans thing. I have lots of scratchbuilts that fly great. I took the time to make templates of very few. As I've already learned to use an airbrush this year my brains all used up on new things, so I'm not learning to use photoshop to make pdf plans this year. Mostly just let my FB take some measurements or sketch a how to for him.

J.P. Good luck finding the CG on your project.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:31 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,023 Posts
Nice pictures.. makes a good color scheme
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 30, 2009, 01:57 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Claudio
Hi Lee,

I saw your blog and your site, very quickly because has a lot of information, so Iīll read it later, slowly. But I agree with you, thereīs so much good stuff, also for begginers, you do a great job.

Well, Iīll keep on following this thread, no way back

Here I post some pictures of the American Kestrel, a littlle falcon colored that we have here in Brasil. Itīs a great idea for your project, I think.

Best regards,
Luis
Luis

That is a beautiful bird. I'm not that good of an artist.

I've been looking at the variety of birds that are close to the shape of the Peregrine. There are a lot of contenders. Even my seagull version looks like a seagull (sort of). I left the beak on the fuse large as an eagle's to help hide the motor so I guess with simple modification it could be anything anyone wants to paint.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 30, 2009, 05:57 PM
PunchDrunk ex-Pug try'n fly'n
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Mine resembles a parrot or dove with the mods I've done.

I could not find a BP21 motor, my LHS swears they don't make a 21 series.
I bought and installed a BP22. I'm guessing it's heavier. My bird is weighing in @ 16.2oz AUW. This seem to be in the ballpark except that she is very nose heavy. I did CG calc and came up with 4.1" from wing root. I can achieve this by moving my 3s 1300mA lippo as far back as possible and, a little more, out the tail. I have gained more wing, about 8" on the leading edge, 4" at the tail.
Comments? (go ahead have your fun)

I saw a real Peregrine yesterday, black and white. They are doing very well here. He flew right over my car. I'm taking it as an omen, I hope it's a good one! jp
jp.electrik is offline Find More Posts by jp.electrik
Old Jan 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Jp, I think the elevons will work well. We talked about it last night at the dome and everyone thinks its aworth a try. I am going to build one after E Fest. We are currently building 30 birds to take to E Fest and see if there is any demand for kits or ARFS. Keep us posted. Here is a recent bird I built or one of my buds. It is just an eagle wth some easy mods, I have some build pics if anyone is interested. Here is a link to a photo I used for this design.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ckYryQiJ-3Y/R1...ht,+Brazil.jpg

The Mad Spadder is offline Find More Posts by The Mad Spadder
Last edited by The Mad Spadder; Jan 30, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:18 PM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
Madd Spadder, that is one very cool looking bird.... any vid on the flight characteristics??
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:35 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Hey Wynterhawk, I don't have a decent video camera, but our web guy was shooting some video last night so maybe I can get some. The Macaw has only tailerons so it is not aerobatic. The bird flew beautifully!! Slow flight was very good and super stable. I thought the addition of the long tail feathers would effect the bird but it didn't seem to be a factor. The Tail feathers were done in a V configuration at 100 degrees (same as the tail) and kept in line with the existing tail. The tail extension was then glued to a bamboo skewer and glued to the underside of the main tail. We broke the tail on landing several times so I will make the next one using a carbon fiber rod. I really hated to sell it but Brian was so excited when I brought into the dome I let him buy it. We are going to E Fest next Friday so I don't have a lot of time to experiment right now. Our Kit cutter is going to make this into a kit once we experiment a little with different set ups. Elevons and ailerons will be tryed before we make the final kit. We are hoping to keep the costs down so kits can be in the $50-$60 range. I am also working on getting a friend of a friend to do some professional video for us. Stay tuned!!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:37 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.electrik
Mine resembles a parrot or dove with the mods I've done.

I could not find a BP21 motor, my LHS swears they don't make a 21 series.
I bought and installed a BP22. I'm guessing it's heavier. My bird is weighing in @ 16.2oz AUW. This seem to be in the ballpark except that she is very nose heavy. I did CG calc and came up with 4.1" from wing root. I can achieve this by moving my 3s 1300mA lippo as far back as possible and, a little more, out the tail. I have gained more wing, about 8" on the leading edge, 4" at the tail.
Comments? (go ahead have your fun)

I saw a real Peregrine yesterday, black and white. They are doing very well here. He flew right over my car. I'm taking it as an omen, I hope it's a good one! jp
JP

If I didn't take any chances I wouldn't every design anything. Most of the planes I design have something I have to try to see if it will work.

Congratulations on having the courage to modify a kit.

Shoot some video. It will help us look at it and see if there are characteristics that we have seen before. Start with it a little nose heavy

If it is balanced it should fly. It might have a tip stall with the swept back wing if you give it too much elevator.

Lee
Old Jan 30, 2009, 08:55 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Just finished up another one!! I had a request for a Gray Hawk so this is what I came up with. I painted the black bar marks with a brush before spraying and am pretty happy with the results.

Old Jan 30, 2009, 10:18 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
[QUOTE=The Mad Spadder]Just finished up another one!! I had a request for a Gray Hawk so this is what I came up with. I painted the black bar marks with a brush before spraying and am pretty happy with the results.
QUOTE]

Beautiful birds!
Just out of curiosity what kind of price are you getting for them?
I can't help but wonder about doing some building for profit. I'm laid off and can't help but build anyway. jp
Old Jan 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
The price depends on who they are and how much detail they want. This started out as a club build based on a scratch built eagle I did this summer and suddenly everyone was asking me to build something special. I have sold most of the birds to club members or pilots at the dome that we run three nights a week . Materials, time and cool factor are what I base my price on. The Eagles with feather detail, acrylic eyes, and all electronics installed (receiver ready) I have been getting $150.00-$200.00. The Vultures $250.00 and the Macaw I built for E Fest but Brian offered me $300.00 for it so greedy guy that I am.... SOLD!! Bottom Line I try to make at least $20/hr for custom work. Kits we take cost and 30% to Hobby shops and sell at the same retail price that we set for the stores. Don't plan to get rich because any great idea is quickly mass produced for less over seas. Last year I bought 100 GTP flying car Kits which I thought would be the hottest new item at the Toledo Show, one year later I still have 40 kits. You never know what the public is going to want, my advice is go for it if you have a passion like I do for seeing people get excited and enjoy the models that I build, if you are looking to get rich there are better ways.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,014 Posts
Get Rich Quick?

It's more like, "I'm doing it anyway, I might as well recoop some of the expense." I sold one plane I had for about what I had in it. It felt like selling my dog or first born son. I didn't expect such an emotional attatchment. That was a Park Zone RTF, I can only imagine what it would be like to part with one of my own creations. I sold the Corsair to fund my growing addiction to building. Again it was a case of I'm goin to build regardless I might as well aid mysef financialy.
Whereabouts do you live? Do you cut your own foam? Do you have a websight?
jp
I just finished my bastardized Falcon. Not very artistic, wish I could paint like you guys. Time for testing and fine tweaking.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 08:01 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,315 Posts
I've always said the best way to ruin a perfectly good hobby is to make it a business. When you make your hobby your business it turns into work.

There is a lot of difference in building your own plane and making a kit for someone else to build your plane.

There really isn't much money in model making as a home business. There would be if you could sell 30 a day but that isn't how it is. You get a surg of sales and a few stragglers then the world moves on to the next fad. As the products fades you spend more on advertising to keep it going than you make.

It's hard to compete with Parkzone, GWS, and Multiplex. According to the LHS people don't want to do any work just go out and fly a plane that looks like a plane.

Notice that in most of the promotions I have done it says "for a limited time".

Lee
Last edited by Lee; Jan 31, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:50 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,459 Posts
Yes,

There are a lot of birds like your project shape. Sometime afgo I found the thread below, and I think there is no better way, process, to paint it. This guy was very happy and professional, simply amazing.

Take a look:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Luis

That is a beautiful bird. I'm not that good of an artist.

I've been looking at the variety of birds that are close to the shape of the Peregrine. There are a lot of contenders. Even my seagull version looks like a seagull (sort of). I left the beak on the fuse large as an eagle's to help hide the motor so I guess with simple modification it could be anything anyone wants to paint.

Lee
Luis_Claudio is online now Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:17 AM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Hi JP, I am not trying to discourage you, by all means if you are out of work give it a try.I live near Chicago, IL. We are working on a website but it has a ways to go. iam trying to design it myself but just can't seem to get enough time. The site will be http://dreamitrc.com . Lee has a similar situation to me, his son can cut the kits. I have a frend that has a lazer and will cut the kits for $5-$10 and we supply the materials. Dan from True RC is also a good friend and brings in all of the electronics and batteries for near cost. I designed several planes from coroplast and sold nearly 800 ARFS. Like Lee said sales go in surges. I made $5k in one weekend at Toledo and saw good sales for 6 months then it dropped off when foamies became popular. The key is to always have the next design in the works. You will notice Lee is already working on a "secret" design. We have a rocket, a tank and a dragon which will all hopefully be kitted one day. Go for it and use the help of the forums to take your ideas to the next level, almost every great design is a spin off from something thats already been done. Good luck!!