Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Spadder

I don't think I gave you this link. One of my favorites just out of my price range. These models are based on actual fossils. If everyone wants to chip in and buy me one for Christmas, I will have free foam versions for all participants.

http://www.randrmodelaircraft.com/Pterotec.htm

Here is a good head shot to work from. This is on my future build list. I talked with a sculptor who will make molds of just the head (he is not the designer of this bird) for around $200.00. If anyone wants a head of a bird made he said $25.00/hr. about 3 hours for a bird head with good detail. Here is his site:

www.billadamsink.com

I had a friend years ago that tried to make a flying what ever this is. It really is an unnatural unstable shape to have such a big rudder in the front. Cool looking design and model.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2008, 03:36 AM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Lee, I actually messed around with this idea a couple of years ago and had a couple of designs that flew ok, nothing like your bird, but they flew and were quite stable. The green one had feet for the elevator , tail for the rudder and tiperons which were marginal, however the rudder was very effective.

The Green Dragon had twin motors mounted to the wing and the one in the bottom photo had the motor in the center of the wing just behind the head. I will try to dig up some video if i still have it.
The Mad Spadder is offline Find More Posts by The Mad Spadder
Old Dec 12, 2008, 05:56 AM
S/W Wi
Joined Oct 2008
143 Posts
I need time and talant to build like that .very nice ..
i'm hopping to have a few things finshed up and start on the eagle.next week
kodaknix is offline Find More Posts by kodaknix
Old Dec 12, 2008, 01:51 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,480 Posts
I was just showing a buddy the plans for the Eagle
and he brought up an interesting point.

I live in sight of a National Wildlife refuge.
I can usually spot an eagle every day from the house.

So he says the DNR aka Game Warden, might nail me for having an Eagle Decoy !!!

We also see Buzzards in summer, patrolling the river and valleys.

Soooo, I'm thinking Buzzard motif may be a better option :-)
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:32 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
I built another Condor for one of the guys coming to the Dome Eniter we are hosting in Bensenville, IL. tonight. We are supposed to have some professional video being taken at the event. I will try to get some video of the 60" Condor flying at the event. (I think you should go with th Vulture.)
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
All done

Still waiting to find the fluffy stuff to hide the aileron servo. Should be under 10oz with 1500 3s installed. Mounted the battery velcro to the bottom of the wing as to keep the fuse light and save the wing mount any stress.

Bad news. 27mph winds. AAALLLL week. YUK.

Next up: DLG bird/dragon/flying thingy. Thinking something like those Hawaiian guy's were doing.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Last edited by DRITCH; Dec 14, 2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2007
168 Posts
Dritch, your bird looks great!! If you can't find the "fuzz" let me know and I will see if I can find it our Hobby Lobby and send it to you.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:23 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRITCH
Still waiting to find the fluffy stuff to hide the aileron servo. Should be under 10oz with 1500 3s installed. Mounted the battery velcro to the bottom of the wing as to keep the fuse light and save the wing mount any stress.

Bad news. 27mph winds. AAALLLL week. YUK.

Next up: DLG bird/dragon/flying thingy. Thinking something like those Hawaiian guy's were doing.
With the low wing loading your plane should fly well. Shoot some video if you can. I learn more from videos than from most play by play explainations.

For those of you without video cameras ..... my indoor Snowball video was shot on a Canon power shot regular camera that only has a 3x telephoto lense. I admit that it isn't quite the same quality of the video off of my JVC mini DV but most everyone with a digital camera can now shoot video and windows has a video editing program built in.

LED Snowball indoors 11-08 (3 min 49 sec)
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:06 AM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
do you guys think a tower pro 2410-09( http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail )will have enough umf to pull the bird around? with a 10c 3s 800 mah and with witch prop 1170?
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:40 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Video as soon as possible.

Maybe next saturday.

JWTF

Looking at your link and the motor data.

Your battery is 10c 800. IE 10x0.8= 8amps MAX.

Looking at the motor data you'd need maybe an 8x4.3 to stay in your amp range on a 3s pack.

Or go to maybe a 7x6 for more speed.

From experience, if you overprop you will ruin your battery's.

If you don't use an ampmeter or watt meter i'd recommend researching your motor's (search in power systems) performance with different props. It's best to be one prop size smaller than safe so you can run wide open if
needed.

I've used a 2410-08 (very similar) with a gws 8x4 hd/dd. It gave great performance and is a little thicker/tougher than 8x4.3 I'd start there.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:39 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
ok dritch thanks soo much im off to cut some foam up and see if it turns into an eagle.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 04:16 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
Ok gang one question elevator and rudder or elevlons or V-tail? Which has better flight charistics on these birds id rather not use ailerons ATM.also with each differnt control surface dihedrial or no? any help would be very appericated..

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Mike BeMiller
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:12 AM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
can anyone give me any input on which would be best on the bird a v-tail or rudder and elevator.. thanks mike
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:59 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttofly
can anyone give me any input on which would be best on the bird a v-tail or rudder and elevator.. thanks mike
It all depends on how you want it to look, what you want it to do and how you want it to fly. As a flyer I like ailerons and elevator better than V-tail but I admit that the V-tail is a good looker on the bench. You will not find a V-tail that can do the maneuvers of the Peregrine in the air, but the rudder elevator bird planes look very odd. I was glad for the suggestion of a feathered rudder and an inverted V-tail on the Peregrine to get rid of the flat horozontal tail look.

You can do a V-tail that is all elevator and have ailerons for a cross over between the two.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:51 AM
Connecticut, USA
Joined Oct 2008
322 Posts
I dunno Lee, when I watch your vids that Peregrine is movin so fast who can see a rudder anyway???
Wynterhawk is offline Find More Posts by Wynterhawk