Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 09, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Sep 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averan View Post
Made some progress on my flat foam seagull; mainly cut the ailerons, added servos and attached the motor mount.

Motor is mounted at a slight downward angle so that the angle of attack of the wings is tilted up a bit. Next step is figuring out how to fit all the components into the fuselage. I'll attach a 3-sided body/fuselage to the underside, connecting to the central profile fuse and the wings, to protect everything and reduce drag.

I'm hoping the dihedral and simple v-tail will make this a fairly stable flying wing.
It's headless LOL. Are you leaving the paper on the foam (can't tell for sure if it's that kind of foam)?
numanair is online now Find More Posts by numanair
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, CA, San Rafael
Joined Mar 2012
131 Posts
No it's not. It just doesn't have a beak....the motor/prop complete the head. Left he paper on for strength.

Finally got around to adding a fuselage to cover the electronics. Waiting on a new ESC before the maiden.
Averan is offline Find More Posts by Averan
Old May 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
697 Posts
Bird Type FPV Farm Flight (4 min 30 sec)
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old May 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
697 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMiI7mgFz-k
Old May 18, 2012, 04:22 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,043 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for the perspective and the YouTube posting.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old May 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, TN, Ooltewah
Joined Jun 2006
1 Posts
Could you please tell me how your tail is fastened to the rear of the body. What type of glue? Did you use any type of re-enforcement to prevent flutter?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Frank
Frank Carver is offline Find More Posts by Frank Carver
Old May 19, 2012, 01:41 PM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
697 Posts
Frank, the tail is made of 3mm balsa, Over the top and bottum side of the epp fuselage is a 1mm playwood that comes over the tail to fix it together. I use 5min. epoxy. And no, i did no mention any flutter at all, so nothing to prevent.
Old May 19, 2012, 02:21 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan View Post
Frank, the tail is made of 3mm balsa, Over the top and bottum side of the epp fuselage is a 1mm playwood that comes over the tail to fix it together. I use 5min. epoxy. And no, i did no mention any flutter at all, so nothing to prevent.
The clear plastic vertical fin flutters quite a bit in the one video, but the plane flies very stable in spite of it!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 19, 2012, 03:27 PM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
697 Posts
Aha, yes..ok, that flutters but has no effect.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:58 AM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,174 Posts
Don't know if this was ever posted here (sorry if this is a repeat) but I thought it was worth mentioning. From youtube....

eagle on steroides. NORWAY (4 min 36 sec)
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old May 20, 2012, 07:28 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,043 Posts
Yes it has been posted before, but its good to see it again.*
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old May 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
New to all this depron and small stuff, but would love to build an eagle from previous posts!

I have some 6mm depron so what size should i go for? and to all u "pros" how should it be modified with all this talk of kfm stuff?

Love all the slow flying builds on this thread, is it better to have ailerons or just rudder elervator? prefer v-tail as i,m a v-tail nut.
waiting
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Old May 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SKY MAN View Post
New to all this depron and small stuff, but would love to build an eagle from previous posts!

I have some 6mm depron so what size should i go for? and to all u "pros" how should it be modified with all this talk of kfm stuff?

Love all the slow flying builds on this thread, is it better to have ailerons or just rudder elervator? prefer v-tail as i,m a v-tail nut.
waiting
I built the 55 in. eagle from plans posted very early in this thread. I added "warperons", i.e. ailerons that are not cut free at the outer tip to better emulate the way birds warp their wing in flight (see my early posts on this). I also have V-tail controls, but rarely use the rudder. The bird will bank steeply and dive with rudder input, whereas the warperons produce a much gentler, flatter turn. The three-piece layer wing in the plans gives a natural KF airfoil, and is very good, but stiffening with CF spars is needed if you do any agressive pitching maneuvers! It's a great slow gentle flying bird with very good tolerance for stiffer winds (10-15 mph) given how light it is. I can easily get 25 min. flights on a 1300 mAH 3S lipo without even trying (my neck starts to ache looking up so much)!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
Ok!
will go for 56" but i don't have any carbon for spar material,(no tube but have some 3mmx0.6mmx1.0M strip) could i use some spruce? if so what size and how?
Thanks

Iain
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Last edited by The SKY MAN; May 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: coz i can
Old May 22, 2012, 01:50 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,617 Posts
Another thing that works well instead of CF is the aluminum spacer bars that are supplied in double glazing. Those are just about 6 x 6mm.

Good luck

Nick
nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud