HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:35 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
15,986 Posts
Lee this is the Coolest most amazing thread I've ever seen! thanks for starting it, I've always planned on doing RC birds & raptors & such now I have a thread so I can learn from the masters!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:42 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Yeah, Lee is the man and master foam builder*
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:09 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2009
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flahut59 View Post
Hi,
this is mine.
I tryed to do like all of you, I'm happy to build it!
The motor is a C20 and the ESC
The propeller is 5X5
lipo 3S
Hello,

I nice bird.
With wingspan is this bird?
Where are the tilled A4 plan's off this wingspan.
thank you
Ton
sandeaa is offline Find More Posts by sandeaa
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Oignies
Joined Dec 2008
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Those eyes are amazing! How did you do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeaa View Post
Hello,

I nice bird.
With wingspan is this bird?
Where are the tilled A4 plan's off this wingspan.
thank you
Ton
Hello,
Thanks!
Eyes come from this plan: http://blog.yam.com/jacoda88/article/20377412

But my eagle plan come from page 4 (wingspan 56"): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...eregine&page=4

I hope it will fly next weekend
flahut59 is offline Find More Posts by flahut59
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan View Post
Here the airfoil:
Is that rear part of the airfoil which is "tipped up" part of the actual airfoil or is this the elevons (and are not so tipped up in normal flight?)? Hope you get what I mean...
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:28 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
What's going on in these neck of the woods now-a days, guys?
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
134 Posts
How about a DTF Ugle

I finally made one of the "FFF Eagles". Except that itís made of Dollar Tree foam and its really ugly up close. So, the name - DTF Ugle. I think it fits.

But all said, I love it. I built it to play with the birds and squirrels in the tree line behind the house. Squirrels don't like to come out to play when it's in the air but the birds are sure curious.

It flies well. With that big wing and short body it's a little sensitive to turbulence near the ground but once it is up in the air it is much smother. I'm not sure what the motor/esc really is. They are out of the Phoenix 2K in the background. Since the stock motor is supposed to get hot inside of the fuselage I figured out on the nose in the open air on Ugle was a good place for it.

Now for the part that surprised me. Sailplanes are my real passion but the eagle looked fun. It was a great day for flying today. I shut the motor off on Ugle for over 5 minutes and maintained altitude with no problem. I could have gone longer but I'd been flying for a while and was a little concerned about my battery. This thing will actually thermal. Not the greatest but it can stay up there with no help from the motor. That KF wing seems to do a good job. I'm already thinking of the next one with a little smoother wing and body to make it a little more of a sailplane.

And for DT foam. This was my first plane with it. I'll stick with depron or EPP from now on. This stuff was just too brittle, but on the plus side it did get me and Eagle for under $20.
bamoore01 is online now Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,140 Posts
Looks nice in the picture, I'm sure you are just being hard on yourself.
Congrats.
TBolt is offline Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Apr 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
134 Posts
Thanks for your kind words but it really is ugly. The paint just doesn't have the same texture on the areas were I used masking tape to hold it together while the glue set up. I don't have that problem with depron or epp. I'm not sure if the glue leaves a residue or if the tape removes some top layer of the DT foam. Since I can't see it in the air I'm not going to worry about it. Actually, if I built another one, it will probably be just black wings and body with the white head and tail. I think that would look better in the air because of the higher contrast. None of the detail can be seen from the ground with any altitude. It just looks kind of like washed out dark.

Besides. I didn't give it the name. We have some house guests for a few weeks. Two of them are 3 and 7 year old girls. They gave it the name. I can't argue with it. Heck, I can't even get a whole sentence out at one time. I'm beginning to understand why grandparents get old.
bamoore01 is online now Find More Posts by bamoore01
Last edited by bamoore01; Apr 07, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:38 PM
i can't learn fast enough
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
203 Posts
Help.
I have all the pieces cut for the 56" fff eagle, and have a question regarding the V tail.
If I set the tx to do elevons will this work? As I look at the tail and in my head if I use elevons I would be able to get bot left and right, and also up and down just using the tail feathers... Is this correct.

If not is that why you have the airlerons as optional.

Thanks much for all your great efforts with this bird.

Terry
Terry Glenn is offline Find More Posts by Terry Glenn
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:23 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Glenn View Post
Help.
I have all the pieces cut for the 56" fff eagle, and have a question regarding the V tail.
If I set the tx to do elevons will this work? As I look at the tail and in my head if I use elevons I would be able to get bot left and right, and also up and down just using the tail feathers... Is this correct.

If not is that why you have the airlerons as optional.

Thanks much for all your great efforts with this bird.

Terry
No, you do need V-tail programing. But rudder action does not produce a nice banked turn with this set up. Ailerons will give that. I seldom use the rudder action while just gliding or cruising around on very low power. I turn with a minimal amount of aileron and it will give a reasonably low-banked turn without losing altitude. A rudder-only turn will be more of a rolling, diving turn.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
203 Posts
Thanks much.Now back to the book onh V tails
Terry
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:02 PM
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
203 Posts
Oh Guru's of the FAN FOLD?

All parts are cut and fitted.
Bird without anything is 7 oz.
Wing spn is 52-54 inches.
With a hurco 2712 (18 oz of thrust), 3 cell 2200 mah, 32amp esc, 2 micro servos total weight is 16.4 oz. I still have push rods, and control horns to place and some additional gluing.
Will be using the V tail with elevons ( I think?)
CG is about 2.5 - 2.75 inches from leading edge.

Is there anything I am missing, or should look for?

Thanks agasin
Terry
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
3,739 Posts
Sounds overpowered to me! I fly mine with a 1000mah, 3 cell battery and I can mooch around in the sky for ages.

P'raps someone should design one with a swing-wing system so we do realistic raptor dives. That would scare the crows!

nickchud is online now Find More Posts by nickchud
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:43 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,147 Posts
Any pictures?