HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2003, 07:43 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
Rbc Kits Bv 212

The Blohm und Voss P212-03 was a late WW2 German jet intended as the next aircraft after the Me 262. There were a number of competing designs including the Focke Wulf Ta 183 Huckebein and Me P1101. The war ended before any of these designs were completed. The information together with aerodynamic research helped both the West and The Soviet Union in their jet development.

I have built the RBC A-4 and Huckebein for minifan and love these models. I managed to get one of the first BV kits courtesy of the good offices of Rob Bulk thru' Puffin Models. I will publish some pics of the build, but as I only have a steam camera they will not be in real time.

Here's a look inside the box. Rolled plan with instructions and photo pages. Accurate CNC cut parts. Lots of sheet and strip. Beautiful vac formed canopy and intake. Decal sheet and accessory pack.

Bob
Bob P is offline Find More Posts by Bob P
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2003, 07:50 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
After playing with the parts and carefully reading the instructions I started with the wings. These are a very simple construction with ply joiners. The strings are for the servo leads after the model is assembled. The servos are at the wing tips to drive both the main ailevons and tip ailevon thingies.

bob
Old Feb 23, 2003, 07:55 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
The parts for the fuselage are beautifully cnc cut. The fus is built upside down on the crutch. The card duct is fitted and side stringers and bottom sheet added. The fan slides in at the rear as shown.

Bob
Old Feb 23, 2003, 05:45 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
Here is the fuz in build. The bottom sides are planked with 2 mm balsa strips because of the double curvature. I find it fiddly and time consuming work because you have to be accurate. I used balsa cement because it planes and sands nicely. 3 mm sheet forms the keel.

The top sides are 2 mm sheet, with 3mm top. The cutouts are for the wing joiners. Strings for the servo leads, tied at both ends!

Bob
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:49 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
The rear is a lightply frame skinned with 2 mm balsa, with a thin ply cone glued on.

Bob
Old Feb 24, 2003, 08:54 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
The inlet is a vacformed section which fits over the duct,and is glued to the inside of a nose former. The slots are intended to duct some cooling air thru' to the ESC. Air enters thru' the cannon holes in the nose. I did this on the Huckebein and it seems to work.

Bob
Old Feb 24, 2003, 02:10 PM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Hi Bob -

I'm a bit surprised no one else has commented so I'll say thanks for the thread and photos. I'm planning on obtaining one of these kits later down
the road and it sure is nice to see what to expect before opening the box.

Please keep it coming!

Enjoy the Day! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Feb 25, 2003, 04:07 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
The fuz together, blended and sanded. It's easier to do this without the wings fitted!

The superbly vacformed canopy is glued to the balsa frame using RC Modellers glue which dries clear and does not fog.

Bob
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:11 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,918 Posts
Hi Bob

You're going great guns there!

What power setup will you be putting in her? I know you told me, but I've forgotten. In any case, everyone else will want to know as well

Is there plenty of room inside what must be a fairly abbreviated fuselage?

Gordon
Gordon is online now Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Feb 25, 2003, 06:25 AM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,650 Posts
Hello Bob, nice to see that you've managed to get a camera to show us your progress. Speaking of which, how long has it taken you to get to this stage in the build? I.ve just started building my Beau (the temptation was to great not to), the rear Fuzz in complete with the forward fuzz framed up ready for skining. Also the centre section is framed up ready to stick to the bottom sheeting. All this in a week with the odd hour here and there. So now I can really understand why your enjoy building these kits so much, they are great.
stuart warne is offline Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Feb 25, 2003, 07:23 AM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
Gordon

It's a minifan, with a Mega 16/15/3. I fancy 12xCP1700/FAUP cells but some people advice that 12 is too much. Once I get the fan and motor set up I'll run a bench test and decide from there.

There is bags of room in the fuz. The design was for the pilot to be seated over the duct with a large diameter turbo jet, so the fuz is actually quite portly. The pic shows the rear bulkhead and the slots for the fan to slide into.

Wing span 1040 m 41 inches
Length 690 m 27 inches

Stuart

It took about 5 days to this stage say 18 hours.

Bob
Old Feb 25, 2003, 07:56 AM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,951 Posts
Bob looks like your making exellent progress I also envy you as you have two up on me.I have the Ta 183 kit but can't get it onto the building bench Good luck in the rst of the build!! stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:22 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
Bob,

Interesting subject. Please keep us posted. Will a 10 x 1700 battery pack fit in the fuselage? In the meantime check this site out.

http://www.luft46.com/bv/bvp212.html

Cheers...
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old Feb 25, 2003, 06:06 PM
Stay thirsty my friends.
Tosev 3
Joined Feb 2003
1,033 Posts
I have built and flown an Arado E555 another "Paper" German airplane (actually I have built two the first one did not fly very well but crashed gracefully). Many of these proposed aircraft seem to fly quite well. Thank you very much for sharing this project with us it makes me want one of my own!
DR. JOY is offline Find More Posts by DR. JOY
Old Feb 25, 2003, 07:00 PM
Wiltshire England
Joined Feb 2001
917 Posts
Mario

Many thanks for the interesting infomation.

There is plenty of room in the fuz. The canopy area for the battery measures 250x90 mm.

Bopb