HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:15 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Black Angel SE edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Sounds like it's gonna be a beast, Steve. Very nice! What motor are you running?

But, in the end, just because it still has a CX BA main gear, is it reasonable to call this frankenheli a BA?
Your right, new name!The motor is the 63g Hobbyking 2700kv 400 watt motor,$12.It runs cool, esc and battery and doesn't use much power but still has alot of collective pop at 13 degrees pitch and doesn't bog!I'm running a12t pinion at 100 percent and get 3050 at the begining and still 2950 with battery at 3.9v after 5 mintues flight.The tail clearance is the same as before with the longer boom and belt.I can run 360mm blades with my 505 mxl belt and longer boom but found that I like the 350 blades and handling better!If you use a 515t belt you can run Msh 390 blades( there are some guys running them)but to many problems to over come!Flys so much more precise and controlable now!
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
It looks like a different heli with all.the conversions done. Something that that is proudly made but how does it fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Your right, new name!The motor is the 63g Hobbyking 2700kv 400 watt motor,$12.It runs cool, esc and battery and doesn't use much power but still has alot of collective pop at 13 degrees pitch and doesn't bog!I'm running a12t pinion at 100 percent and get 3050 at the begining and still 2950 with battery at 3.9v after 5 mintues flight.The tail clearance is the same as before with the longer boom and belt.I can run 360mm blades with my 505 mxl belt and longer boom but found that I like the 350 blades and handling better!If you use a 515t belt you can run Msh 390 blades( there are some guys running them)but to many problems to over come!Flys so much more precise and controlable now!
Steve
soneebee is offline Find More Posts by soneebee
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:49 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Flys great!I kept the weight light(1600 4s battery) and with 350mm blades it fly much smoother.Flips and rolls can be done in slow motion so is ideal for me because I'm just starting to learn the 3d moves.Quick and agile and 9 mintue flight times.The Beam canopy is lighter and also more modern looking than the stock one.Beam parts are upgrades on this heli and keeps me from stocking to many parts.
Collecting parts for my next heli(Warp 360)!!
Steve
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:57 AM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,082 Posts
Double post
Last edited by Kauaiguy; Oct 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soneebee View Post
It looks like a different heli with all.the conversions done. Something that that is proudly made but how does it fly?
hey soneebee are you using the CX-CT6C tx for your BA? can you please tell me all your setup (D/R, SWASH MIX, GYRO SENS, THRO CURVE, PIT CURVE, THRO HOLD) on that tx.

i'm new here.

thank you
janmykelg is offline Find More Posts by janmykelg
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
I went flying my BA night rig last night after a long break. I had forgotten how nible the little 450 can be - I'd been flying my larger birds lately, so I've gotten used to slower responses and more float time. It was fun, even though I nearly dumped it a couple times flying way outside my comfort zone. I did install some super light CF blades on it since the last time I flew it properly, so maybe this contributed to the squirrelly factor...

I gotta say it's tough to maintain orientation when flying at night, no matter how many LEDs you stack up on the bird. As soon as it's more than a 10m away it just looks like a bright orb. You gotta keep it moving at all times and know what you just did and what you're gonna do next. You can't rely on visual cues until it's real close.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
Yes I am using that radio my CX heli
for the setup its all basic on my radios.

I do not place any D/R as i am used to the helis performance without the radio enhancements.
for the swash mix my current P A E is all at 90% as the fusonic servos i am using have short horns. this requires really large throw movements just for me to get the pitch to at least 12 and for the swash to have large throws.
pitch curve are all linear for me. except normal as my
normal setup is

L - 40
1 - 45
2 - 50
3 - 75
H - 100

for throttle N

L - 0
1 - 45
2 - 75
3 - 85
5 - 90

for idle its all 100%

throttle hold is -5
but you can set it to 0 if you want..

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmykelg View Post
hey soneebee are you using the CX-CT6C tx for your BA? can you please tell me all your setup (D/R, SWASH MIX, GYRO SENS, THRO CURVE, PIT CURVE, THRO HOLD) on that tx.

i'm new here.

thank you
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
it really looks hard to do flying at night and relying on the LED lights.. Ive always wanted to try that night flying.. but never had a chance to get a LED setup on my helis.

you must really be good on orientation to just get the heli moving around.. what more if in 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
I went flying my BA night rig last night after a long break. I had forgotten how nible the little 450 can be - I'd been flying my larger birds lately, so I've gotten used to slower responses and more float time. It was fun, even though I nearly dumped it a couple times flying way outside my comfort zone. I did install some super light CF blades on it since the last time I flew it properly, so maybe this contributed to the squirrelly factor...

I gotta say it's tough to maintain orientation when flying at night, no matter how many LEDs you stack up on the bird. As soon as it's more than a 10m away it just looks like a bright orb. You gotta keep it moving at all times and know what you just did and what you're gonna do next. You can't rely on visual cues until it's real close.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
it really looks hard to do flying at night and relying on the LED lights.. Ive always wanted to try that night flying.. but never had a chance to get a LED setup on my helis.

you must really be good on orientation to just get the heli moving around.. what more if in 3D
Night flying really does take some getting used to. But I suspect if you fly close-quarters smack 3D (I know you do, soneebee), it might actually be easier than big sky aerobatics, and loose 3D (which is what I can do).

Otherwise, it's pretty simple to set up: a few $5 self-adhesive LED strips from hobbyking, a bit of work soldering a few connectors and you've got a night bird in about 2 hours. The hard parts of the build are the DIY night blades which take a bit of research and meticulous work if you don't wanna pay $200 retail for them and crash repairs are a total PITA... and I speak from experience here :facepalm.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
hey guys, i'm really interested in this model, i'm looking to get a 450 model over the holidays to replace a 500 i got that needs batterys, a fbl gyro and some other odds and ends just to get it flying :rollseyes: i'm just selling it off to get something like this, copterx has drawn me in on the cheap but pretty good quality they put out. i think i'm going 450 size over 250 just because its easier, even for a little bit more money. i want to go flybarless, so now do i go 450 v4 or black angel? lol, all my parts for either have to come off the internet, how is the availability of parts for black angel it being a seperate model and all? i've read that the black angel is much less hassle and for only $30 more i'd definitely go the less hassle route, as long as the parts are high enough quality so they don't need replacing... any help would be great!
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:17 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
hey guys, i'm really interested in this model, i'm looking to get a 450 model over the holidays to replace a 500 i got that needs batterys, a fbl gyro and some other odds and ends just to get it flying :rollseyes: i'm just selling it off to get something like this, copterx has drawn me in on the cheap but pretty good quality they put out. i think i'm going 450 size over 250 just because its easier, even for a little bit more money. i want to go flybarless, so now do i go 450 v4 or black angel? lol, all my parts for either have to come off the internet, how is the availability of parts for black angel it being a seperate model and all? i've read that the black angel is much less hassle and for only $30 more i'd definitely go the less hassle route, as long as the parts are high enough quality so they don't need replacing... any help would be great!
The bad news is there aren't many dealers in the U.S. to get parts from. There's been a few that have come and gone but the BA isn't popular enough to keep them going.

The good news is that if you have enough parts on hand then you don't have to worry about waiting for the parts to come from China. I usually keep a good supply of the usual parts, main shafts, feathering shafts, etc so I can' rebuild after a crash. Ehirobo.com is an excellent dealer as well with very good customer service. They will chime in here every now and then too.

Quality wise the BA is good quality. I would rate it as good as a comparable Trex. I really enjoy the direct drive system as well. I don't know why there aren't more heli's like this.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:05 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
i think what i'm going to do is start out with the 250 right now, (don't have a job, holidays, --moneys tight ) but by spring i'll definitely grab this one, i really like that i've stumbled upon something other than trex that is really high quality trying not to be like everyone else unless there's a really good deal over the holidays, i'll probably go with the 250 fits because it fits into my budget a lot better... i'm figuring about $100 for the heli with electronics, then some batterys, an Rx, and some extra parts for about $50, figure about $35 for shipping from hobbyking and ehirobo and boom! fbl 250 heli for well under $200! now i just need to sell my 500 -and i really want a 250 to bring with me to college, just for the compactness, but i still want a 450 size to have something sizable to fly.
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Nov 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Yes I am using that radio my CX heli
for the setup its all basic on my radios.

I do not place any D/R as i am used to the helis performance without the radio enhancements.
for the swash mix my current P A E is all at 90% as the fusonic servos i am using have short horns. this requires really large throw movements just for me to get the pitch to at least 12 and for the swash to have large throws.
pitch curve are all linear for me. except normal as my
normal setup is

L - 40
1 - 45
2 - 50
3 - 75
H - 100

for throttle N

L - 0
1 - 45
2 - 75
3 - 85
5 - 90

for idle its all 100%

throttle hold is -5
but you can set it to 0 if you want..

hi soneebee thank you for that, i'm new to this hobby. i really like your vids at youtube

i just bought a copter x black angel FBL 450. i'm still learning how to hover nicely

my setup:

Throttle: 0-40-60-75-90
Pitch:43-47-50-65-90

had to change the servo because the gear was stripped, had to upgrade it to metal gear servo everything were fine not until the repair

my problem is that when i throttle up past midstick the swashplate dances forward, backward, left or right

i didn't had this problem before any idea whats contributing this?
janmykelg is offline Find More Posts by janmykelg
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:23 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2008
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmykelg View Post
hi soneebee thank you for that, i'm new to this hobby. i really like your vids at youtube

i just bought a copter x black angel FBL 450. i'm still learning how to hover nicely

my setup:

Throttle: 0-40-60-75-90
Pitch:43-47-50-65-90

had to change the servo because the gear was stripped, had to upgrade it to metal gear servo everything were fine not until the repair

my problem is that when i throttle up past midstick the swashplate dances forward, backward, left or right

i didn't had this problem before any idea whats contributing this?
Just the swashplate, not the servos, right. Count be bad swash, bend linkage, bend main shaft or feathering shaft, or different pitch between 2 blades.......
ehirobo is offline Find More Posts by ehirobo
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
Noobness
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Hi Gang!

Getting out of the RC hobby, so selling my Black Angel. Lot's of extras, so see listing in classifieds!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813733
ShortBtwnHdset is offline Find More Posts by ShortBtwnHdset