HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
240 Posts
Try posting in the st cessna 182 thread since most of us there are the same plane and alot of the hobbico owners go there as well. Its the same plane except ours comes with better motor and esc. So hobbico pressured st to not sell on hobbyking anymore and give them sole market for this plane and its spares. Sucks because my st version was better with rx ready version as well. Now that hk doesnt have it hobbico comes with their own reciever ready version now For a lot more than the $100 at hk.
EDGEE400 is offline Find More Posts by EDGEE400
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:42 PM View Post
jonathanjhl
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while jonathanjhl edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:13 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanjhl
I cannot warn you guys enough, this plane is horrible. I wasted $250 on a total piece of garbage. The latch is 100 foam (how brilliant!), so the latch comes off during flight and the battery comes loose and the plane crashes. My $250 lesson can be your gain! Learn from me and DON"T BUY THIS PLANE!!
Go over to the st cessna 182 skylane and check it out mine and alot of others opinions is that this is a great plane well worth it. Read the thread and make your own decision but youll see very if any really negative reviews about this plane just thought i should throw in the other sides opinion as well.
As for above the latch is plastic pressure clip and ive never or have ever read of anyone losing a batt in flight without there being user error involved. Im not saying thats what happened but thats the first i heard of it.
EDGEE400 is offline Find More Posts by EDGEE400
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:15 AM
GorillaGlue, Tape...I'm good
SillyCornValley, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanjhl
I cannot warn you guys enough, this plane is horrible. I wasted $250 on a total piece of garbage. The latch is 100 foam (how brilliant!), so the latch comes off during flight and the battery comes loose and the plane crashes. My $250 lesson can be your gain! Learn from me and DON"T BUY THIS PLANE!!
So the only thing bad about this plane are the nose gear and the foam hatch and that the plane flies and function great otherwise? If that is all, then that's not too bad--I've had worse.

The Rx-Ready is $170. I'm not sure if that is a great price, but I'd still consider it, along with other larger foam Cessnas.
I_Gotts_Ta_Fly is offline Find More Posts by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2009, 04:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
10 Posts
ATC: "American 361 heavy, you have traffic 3 o'clock below 2 miles cessna skylane, acknowledge"

"Traffic in sight, American 361 heavy"

Sweet lookin plane. great scale looks for a plane in this category. Great pictures too.
trentomous is offline Find More Posts by trentomous
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 07, 2009, 01:12 PM
Registered User
a320jockey's Avatar
Ecuador, Pichincha, Quito
Joined Aug 2002
545 Posts
Skylane in Quito, Ecuador

Hello all, here are some pics of my Skylane with the original decals. I will design my own in the following weeks and re-decorate the model. Anyway it is ready for flight, now let's see where can I find a suitable paved strip.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
a320jockey is offline Find More Posts by a320jockey
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2009, 08:29 PM
Registered User
a320jockey's Avatar
Ecuador, Pichincha, Quito
Joined Aug 2002
545 Posts
Successful flight on maiden - crashed before short final

Hello all,

maidened my Cessna 182 last Saturday and everything went quite well until the landing. I lost signal reception while turning right from the crosswind to final. While I was finishing the turn and starting to align the model with the landing strip the signal was lost. The model never abandoned the turn and plunged to the ground from around 45 feet. A left aileron command and power-up were just ignored.

The result was a bent /broken front fuselage, bent/torn wing, broken prop and bent prop shaft, broken windshield and glare panel. I am not sure if it can be repaired since the foam is compressed at the bending points on the wings and fuselage, and I could not get it back into its original shape.

I think I may have to go ahead and replace the fuselage and wing with new units. While the cowling has some bumps it is usable as is the landing gear, tail feathers and all electronics.

The model does fly nicely without any bad habits. I replaced the original prop with an APC 9X6SF which gave it a little more thrust. Nice coordinated turns using both rudder and ailerons managing the trottle to keep on the same flight level. It flew at around the same speeds as the Porter which I also took to the field.

Like all accidents which are always the sum of a number of errors, this one was the consequence of some on my own. Since the stock TX / RX combo showed interference on the field the previous week and I wanted to fly the model, I replaced the stock RX with one of my own the night before the maiden.

Instead of using a Hitec Electron 6 RX similar to the one I use on the Porter, but which was installed on another model, I used a Futaba 146iP PCM which I had used before on a TRex currently grounded for repairs. It was easily available on my workbench while the Electron had to be extracted from the other model. (Error #1 - Use the right equipment at all times, not what is readily available instead)

While I have flown this RX on the Trex and other models before without any troubles, I think that this time its range was more limited than usual because of the antenna routing inside the Cessna's fuselage, close to the wire pushrods and tail light cables.

When I did the ground field range tests with the TX antenna collapsed (I use a Futaba 7C) I did notice that the signal was lost after a distance somehow shorter than the usual. I however got over-confident, extended the antenna and just went away and prepared the model for the maiden. (Error #2 - Never fly if you find something which is not up to your usual safety levels)

Take-off was very nice, with lots of thrust from the prop for a nice 7 minute flight, after which I began preparations for landing. Since the day was windy I did not get low enough on the first landing trials on which I flew the model closer to the landing spot as opposed to my usual long approach on this field with the Porter. So, after another turn, I took the Cessna for the same approach procedure and after the turn the lost signal hit. (Error #3 - It is not recommendable to fly a new model on a windy day; Error #4 - Never get far when using a limited-range RX)

Lessons learned, I am evaluating if the model can be repaired. I have never tried to repair a model made from this material and really don't know if it can be done. Does anyone know how to repair this material? If not possible, then I would like to know where to buy a replacement fuselage and wing. Tower Hobbies only carries the replacement wing, not the fuselage.

It is really a very nice model so hopefully mine will fly again.

Many thanks in advance for any directions to a spares vendor.

Happy (and safe) flying to all,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
a320jockey is offline Find More Posts by a320jockey
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2009, 09:48 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
kydawg1's Avatar
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,746 Posts
Gents-

Finished my Flyzone Cessna 182 and have about 10 flights on her, 4 last WED night at dusk (see taxi picture with added forward white and rear blue LEDs...phone pict is a bit fuzzy).

Looks awesome in the air for sure.

For this pilots running stock Flyzone motor, what is the best prop people have found? I tried an EFlite 8 inch slow flyer prop....which was awesome for speed and thrust, but I was heating the motor too much, so I am flying the stock prop, while I see what folks have found to be optimum.
kydawg1 is offline Find More Posts by kydawg1
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2009, 05:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a320jockey View Post
Hello all,

maidened my Cessna 182 last Saturday and everything went quite well until the landing. I lost signal reception while turning right from the crosswind to final. While I was finishing the turn and starting to align the model with the landing strip the signal was lost. The model never abandoned the turn and plunged to the ground from around 45 feet. A left aileron command and power-up were just ignored.

The result was a bent /broken front fuselage, bent/torn wing, broken prop and bent prop shaft, broken windshield and glare panel. I am not sure if it can be repaired since the foam is compressed at the bending points on the wings and fuselage, and I could not get it back into its original shape.

I think I may have to go ahead and replace the fuselage and wing with new units. While the cowling has some bumps it is usable as is the landing gear, tail feathers and all electronics.

The model does fly nicely without any bad habits. I replaced the original prop with an APC 9X6SF which gave it a little more thrust. Nice coordinated turns using both rudder and ailerons managing the trottle to keep on the same flight level. It flew at around the same speeds as the Porter which I also took to the field.

Like all accidents which are always the sum of a number of errors, this one was the consequence of some on my own. Since the stock TX / RX combo showed interference on the field the previous week and I wanted to fly the model, I replaced the stock RX with one of my own the night before the maiden.

Instead of using a Hitec Electron 6 RX similar to the one I use on the Porter, but which was installed on another model, I used a Futaba 146iP PCM which I had used before on a TRex currently grounded for repairs. It was easily available on my workbench while the Electron had to be extracted from the other model. (Error #1 - Use the right equipment at all times, not what is readily available instead)

While I have flown this RX on the Trex and other models before without any troubles, I think that this time its range was more limited than usual because of the antenna routing inside the Cessna's fuselage, close to the wire pushrods and tail light cables.

When I did the ground field range tests with the TX antenna collapsed (I use a Futaba 7C) I did notice that the signal was lost after a distance somehow shorter than the usual. I however got over-confident, extended the antenna and just went away and prepared the model for the maiden. (Error #2 - Never fly if you find something which is not up to your usual safety levels)

Take-off was very nice, with lots of thrust from the prop for a nice 7 minute flight, after which I began preparations for landing. Since the day was windy I did not get low enough on the first landing trials on which I flew the model closer to the landing spot as opposed to my usual long approach on this field with the Porter. So, after another turn, I took the Cessna for the same approach procedure and after the turn the lost signal hit. (Error #3 - It is not recommendable to fly a new model on a windy day; Error #4 - Never get far when using a limited-range RX)

Lessons learned, I am evaluating if the model can be repaired. I have never tried to repair a model made from this material and really don't know if it can be done. Does anyone know how to repair this material? If not possible, then I would like to know where to buy a replacement fuselage and wing. Tower Hobbies only carries the replacement wing, not the fuselage.

It is really a very nice model so hopefully mine will fly again.

Many thanks in advance for any directions to a spares vendor.

Happy (and safe) flying to all,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
Hi Carlos
I'm Ricardo from Peru, you have to options for repair this beauty plane.
1.- Use epoxy 30 Min
2.- CAFoam Safe

One question, Can you share with me your Futaba RX installation? I want to change the RX receptor for my futaba but I have problems with the lights.

Thanks
ricardoz is offline Find More Posts by ricardoz
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Duduca's Avatar
Brazil, MG, Ipatinga
Joined Jan 2010
125 Posts
I lost my cessna after a major battle with the wind. It was blown away and i could not see where it landed.
I was flying on a brand new spectrun dx7 and ar 7000 receiver. too bad the receiver got lost too. Man this cessna gave me some great flying moments. I spread some flyers with a 100$ reward, let's see if it is tempting enough. I have checked all the trees around and the plane is nowhere to be found.
I guess i will wait until friday and see if someone calls. If not, i will buy another one.
Duduca is offline Find More Posts by Duduca
Last edited by Duduca; May 02, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 02:54 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,583 Posts
Sorry to hear you lost your plane! Hopefully someone will be honest enought to contact you if the find it!
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 04:58 PM
Registered User
Duduca's Avatar
Brazil, MG, Ipatinga
Joined Jan 2010
125 Posts
well, i already bought another one along with a new ar7600 receiver. this time i will put my number on different locations on the plane.
Duduca is offline Find More Posts by Duduca
Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 02:36 PM
Registered User
a320jockey's Avatar
Ecuador, Pichincha, Quito
Joined Aug 2002
545 Posts
Futaba installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardoz View Post
Hi Carlos
I'm Ricardo from Peru, you have to options for repair this beauty plane.
1.- Use epoxy 30 Min
2.- CAFoam Safe

One question, Can you share with me your Futaba RX installation? I want to change the RX receptor for my futaba but I have problems with the lights.

Thanks
Hi Ricardo, will use English as it is the official language around the RCG.

The channel usage went as follows:

1 - Ailerons
2 - Elevator
3 - Throttle
4 - Rudder
5 - Lights - did not work so I simply left if disconnected
6 - Flaps

I use a 7C Futaba system where ch6 is the control knob. I programmed the servo travel so that when moved all the way to the right it displaced the flaps to 10mm which is the full-flap position according to the manual. Take-off flaps are simply adjusted by moving the control knob less than half and visually checking their position since this is done before the take-off roll.

I am presently modifying again the model so it uses a stronger nose gear instead of the flimsy plastic scissors and will also install larger wheels all around as I fly from a grass surface.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
a320jockey is offline Find More Posts by a320jockey
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 10:09 AM
Registered User
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,583 Posts
Larger wheels are a must for grass. I just bought an new select scale 182 reciever ready. I'm looking at the spectrum DX6i. Does it come with a standard reciever or do you get to choose. What would be the best reciever to get with this radio?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 10:10 AM
Registered User
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,583 Posts
By the way, I'd like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday!

Jwp2.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Hobbico® FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane RTF dnorm Electric Plane Talk 251 Jul 20, 2014 12:37 PM
Discussion Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane - Odd engine noise, just bought today Overspeed Micro Ready-to-Fly 12 Feb 20, 2009 09:20 PM
Sold Hobbico FlyZone Cessna 182 Skylane 4 Channel- RTF rcfunhouse Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 25, 2008 11:44 AM
For Sale Cessna 182 Skylane - RTF $150 = Dick07 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 28, 2005 05:44 PM