HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2009
240 Posts
I know i had to sign in to get the 99 price but i had just purchased the 1.79 zippys for my mcx a total order for 5 bucks and now im a gold member. I bought mine and had it shipped ems 65 bucks but i loaded it up to the point befor shipping price goes up. After you add things to your cart it tells you how much weight you have left at that shipping price so i got a 2200 20c batt, epoxy ,heat shrink, a bec for my heli and something else without the shipping going up. Also got a free neck strap and stickers.If your gonna order it it makes sense to fill up the shipping and make it worthwile. I got it today and it is great. The most fun i had in awhile crashed twice no damage something that with my helis i cant say. It lowers stress quit a bit.
EDGEE400 is offline Find More Posts by EDGEE400
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:31 AM
Can't leave well enough alone
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
Duh...why didn't I think of that! I am sure I can find something dirt cheap and light enough to ship without speanding a fortune. Man, now I feel like an idiot.
SyncroScott is offline Find More Posts by SyncroScott
Old Apr 24, 2009, 07:56 AM
Granbury, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly
Did you cycle the battery several times before using it? When you say the battery is "bad," how is it bad? What are the symptoms?

I had my eyes on this one, but if you have more issues with this plane's shortcomings, I'd like to hear it all. I may change my mind if what you find is not an isolated case.
I had the same problem the battery was bad out of the box, when attached to the charger, it gives error codes and will not charge. Even on a GOOD charger not the oen that came with the plane. My radio was also pretty well busted when I got it, and I voided the warranty by opening it so I just replaced it with a Spektrum DX6i . I c ould have saved a lot of cash by buying the Hobby City version, but I wanted to support an American company, :/ My bad.
ThrakenSal is offline Find More Posts by ThrakenSal
Old Apr 24, 2009, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatorr
hey rrracer..did you get a chance to replace it...i broke my nose gear as well...
no I did not replace it yet. I think I am going to remove the front of the fuselage ( since I already cracked it), and split it in half length wise. I should be able to replace it that way.
rrracer600 is offline Find More Posts by rrracer600
Old May 03, 2009, 09:22 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1 Posts
I would like to hear from some other people who have had to repair or replace the nose gear. I broke the compression arm (plastic) twice. That is the piece that is used to 'turn' the steerable nose wheel. I glued it, went out to the field and landed nicely, but in the grass, and it snapped again. I think I am going to use 5 minute epoxy this time instead of CA.

I have about 10 flights with this plane and like it. I stalled once turning from downwind to base. I recovered it quickly but the nose wheel just clipped the ground. This morning I botched a crosswind landing and set it down just beside the runway and the rough terrain snapped it again.

To me, this compression arm behind the main strut is the weak link on the plane. There will be a lot of people fixing this. Any discussion or ideas on this??
Over all, a great plane. When the Plug and Play one comes out, I will buy another and then beat this one on windy days. This was my third plane. First was a Sapac T-34. Never flew it much because of balance problems, renectly figured it out. Second was an E-Flite S.e.5a slowflyer. Great confidence builder, 3 chan only though.

My first flight with the 182 resulted in a perfect main gear landing. I love the flaps, but if you replace the radio as I did, you will need an EMS Go Slo to slow down the flap deployment. When the flaps deploy 'instantly' the plane is a little squirely. This plane just like its real world big brother, needs to be slowed down before deploying the flaps. (They are not airbrakes!) If deployed at the correct speed, the plane still "bucks" a little, but the Go Slo will fix that.

I have had a couple or prangers (landing on the gear but hard, or bounce). The plane is tough.

If you are going to use this for you first plane, and you are using a programable radio, I recommend a little Airleron / rudder mix to maintian coordinated flight until you get the hand of it. I also recommend exponential on the airlerons to make the plane less sensitive.

Comments on the nose gear please. I am trying to contemplating trying to improve it.

Dennis
dlm9000 is offline Find More Posts by dlm9000
Old May 03, 2009, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2009
240 Posts
If you look at the thread for the hobby city version you will see some fixes for it. The hobby city version is the same plane from the same manufacturer but with a stronger motor and a plug and play for $99. I like this one much better than the hobico one.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post12155698
EDGEE400 is offline Find More Posts by EDGEE400
Old May 04, 2009, 01:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
48 Posts
Too bad a nice plane is marred by a weak motor and a crappy nose gear assembly. I figured out that you can pull the gear shaft straight out leaving the balsa alone. You just have to maneuver the screw back in place. I was not going to split the entire plane in two just to fix this. I was however going to stomp up and down on the plane out of frustration. The seller should replace these gears for free. Rant over.
recruitingsux is offline Find More Posts by recruitingsux
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Oct 2004
31 Posts
Front landing Gear

I wish they would make stronger front landing gear, since the front one can break easy. Does anyone know where I can by one. Hobbico is out of them and will not get any till July, so I will be grounded till.
frankaarthur is offline Find More Posts by frankaarthur
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:09 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankaarthur
I wish they would make stronger front landing gear, since the front one can break easy. Does anyone know where I can by one. Hobbico is out of them and will not get any till July, so I will be grounded till.
How about this for an after market - should get you in the air in the mean time...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD845&P=7

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ecuador, Pichincha, Quito
Joined Aug 2002
545 Posts
Larger wheels

Hello all,

since I fly my models from a short grass park I plan to change the original small wheels and pants on the Skylane with larger 2.5 in units on the main gear and a 2 in wheel on the front gear. Just checked the main gear and there seems to be no trouble however have not seen if the front gear will accept the larger wheel without any changes. Would like to use larger wheels like those on my PC-6 Turbo Porter (2.75 in units) which has the same dimensions as the Skylane, however I don't want to spoil the scale look of the model. Here is a picture of my PC-6 so you can see how the 2.75 in wheels look on this model.

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
a320jockey is offline Find More Posts by a320jockey
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
Can't leave well enough alone
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Apr 2007
393 Posts
Nice Porter!! Can you gimme any details? More pictures? A source?
SyncroScott is offline Find More Posts by SyncroScott
Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2002
545 Posts
Just took off the wheel covers and wheels from the main gear. Not a difficult task but you must use some kind of solvent to get the wheel axle screw and bolt off the assembly, along strong hands. Seems that I will use the 2.5 in wheels with new axles anyway as the original ones are not long enough for the wheels which I am using. Will work on the nose gear tonight. SyncroScott, I sent you a PM some minutes ago about my Porter. PM me when you receive it.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
Old Jul 19, 2009, 05:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
98 Posts
I just purchased the "receiver ready" version of the Flyzone Cessna Select. I have 6 of the Parkzone 1800 and 2200 lipo batteries, and would prefer to use them as opposed to buying more batteries for my Flyzone Cessna.

The Flyzone uses 3mm bullet connectors, and the Parkzone batteries are EC3 connectors. I am not good at soldering.....Can I cut the bullet connectors off and use a crimp connector to attach EC3s to the plane? Does anyone make an adapter to go from bullet to EC3? If I do go ahead and give soldering a shot, any advice? I've watched a bunch of YouTube videos, and as we all know, everything you learn on the internet is ALWAYS right!!!
JeffInDFW is offline Find More Posts by JeffInDFW
Last edited by JeffInDFW; Jul 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
I'm selling or parting out my Hobbico version Cessna 182. I have everything it came with. The plane did smack the ground nose first so it needs some tlc. I have new spare nose gears and props for it. Check the for sale ads, or pm me if interested.
rrracer600 is offline Find More Posts by rrracer600
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2002
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyncroScott
Nice Porter!! Can you gimme any details? More pictures? A source?
Little off-topic, my Porter is the e-Star (estarmodels.com) models kit with a modified nose section in order to replicate the P&W PT-6 turbine intake. It is powered by an E-Flite Park 450 outrunner motor turning an APC 9X6SF prop, 20 amp ESC and 2100 mAh 3S1P Thunder Power battery. The tailwheel is an Ohio products small unit. It is operated via a torque rod glued to the rudder and its corresponding transmission from the torque rod to the TW arm. Covering is blue Solite. Markings were made on CorelDraw replicating the Blue Elise PC-6 Porter from the Austrian Air Force parachute unit's 20th anniversary plane.

Have not flown my Cessna yet however I expect it to be a little underpowered due to the smaller motor and prop diameter when compared to the Porter. I do have some underpower issues with the Porter using the 9X6 prop as it produces less thrust, however I wanted a scale look in the air. This means that I have to anticipate some maneuvers and climb higher to do some mild aerobatics, maybe similar to the full-size plane. On the opposite side, it allows me to do 20-25 minute flights with the 2100 batteries which BTW have the same weight as the Cessna's stock battery, so I already have more batteries for the Cessna.

Finally, I finished my Cessna some weeks ago, almost all stock including the landing gear; the only mod I did was to replace the original ESC battery connector with a Deans Ultra in order to use my other batteries on the Cessna. It was impossible to add a larger nosewheel so I opted for leaving the original landing gear as is and search for a paved landing site, there is one 15 miles outside Quito so I will have to spare some time to drive there. Until then I will continue flying my rugged, all-terrain Porter from our grass park flying site, only a mile away from home.

Cheers and happy flying,

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR
Last edited by a320jockey; Jul 22, 2009 at 07:39 PM.