SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2009, 05:40 PM
Lovelock,NV
Joined Mar 2009
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr199212
I'm kind-of new to R/C, but can fly pretty well on Realflight 3.5, would I be able to fly this plane? Without crashing it?

Thanks,
Barry

I have had mine since the 1st of Feb. Love the darn thing. It is my first plane. Wife had gotten me the Realflight 3.5 for X-mas. the LHS told her that would be best rather then buying a plane. Boy I'm glad she did. But after several hours on the sim and then flying an actual. I haven't crashed it after about 4 flights. But I have broken the front landing gear. Not a bad fix either. But I should say you shouldn't have a problem.
Tora!Tora!Tora is offline Find More Posts by Tora!Tora!Tora
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2009, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2007
6 Posts
Prop is a clipped 9x5 (effectively a 8.5x5.5). The clipped version helped it keep speed without loosing too much pull. Be carefull if you switch to another prop. You could over amp the ESC, motor, or both.
Nmking09 is offline Find More Posts by Nmking09
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:01 AM
Rosedale MD
Joined Aug 2008
4 Posts

Works just fine with a Futaba 6EXP transmitter. You need to swap the channel the flaps are on to channel 6 to make them fully adjustable. If you leave them on channel 5, you can open and close them to a fixed point only.

I love mine, Started off on a Nexstar EP, but it was just too big to transport conveniently. I'm also afraid of crashing it. The foam Cessna is just the right size and I'm not so afraid to crash it.

Everyone has liked the scale looks of the model.

I also have broken the front wheel. A replacement is 12.99 +SH from Tower Hobbies.
DennisBledsoe is offline Find More Posts by DennisBledsoe
Old Mar 15, 2009, 01:47 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Jul 2004
26 Posts
How much room is there available on the inside of the airplane?

I'm considering this as an airplane to use as a quick, easy, and cheap test bed for some flight control code, and I need something with enough room on the inside to fit a circuit board (a bit smaller than a credit card and about an inch thick with connectors plugged in) and some extra wiring spaghetti. Is there plenty of room inside the cabin for this application? An added bonus would be if there was extra room for something like an Eagle Tree flight data system.

I am also considering:
Hobbico NexSTAR Select Brushless EP Trainer RTF 68.5"
Hobbico SuperStar EP Select RTF w/Ailerons 48.75"
E-Flite Apprentice 15e RTF 58"

Thanks
skyflyer is offline Find More Posts by skyflyer
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:42 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
skyflyer - you could likely cram it in this plane but it does not have a lot of excess room. It is also NOT a trainer, so if you are looking for those inflight qualities some of your other choices would be better.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
Granbury, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
55 Posts
OK Finally got my new battery and now the stinking radio won't work. it chatters and dies every time I put the charged battery in the plane. it is either the radio or the ESC cause nothing works but the lights. I unhooked the lights and I get the same thing? Do you think I might have gotten a lemon? I'm about ready to just junk this thing out and rebuild it with better equipment.
ThrakenSal is offline Find More Posts by ThrakenSal
Old Mar 16, 2009, 03:01 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrakenSal
OK Finally got my new battery and now the stinking radio won't work.
Sal,

Let's go back to square one and try to figure this out. You said you replaced the motor battery but how did you confirm the battery was bad? Would it not charge with the included charger? Second, when the new battery arrived did it work on existing charger? Are you able to check the voltage on this new battery?

"Chattering" from your servos usually means it can not get a signal from your transmitter. This can be from dead TX batteries, a loose TX antenna, poor location or broken receiver antenna, loose crystal on the receiver, or a bad servo.

Here's is my suggestion. Pull the receiver out (if it can be removed easily) and plug in a 4.8/6v receiver battery directly into it. If you don't have one, take everything to your LHS and ask if you can borrow one. Plug in ONE servo to the receiver and turn on your transmitter. Try using the transmitter to run the servo in each channel. If this works then you have hopefully ruled out the expensive pieces (receiver / transmitter). Next you will want to plug in the ESC/BEC into channel 3, plug in your LiPo (no motor necessary) and see if the speed controller is providing enough power. If this works, then we might want to check the servos in the plane. I've had a bad servo that caused all kinds of problems with my receiver. Swapping it out did the trick.

Start with basic parts and then add one at a time. That's the best way to troubleshoot this problem. From what you've said...my guess would be an antenna (RX or TX) issue or a bad cable connection.

Let us know.

-Lee
YarSmythe is offline Find More Posts by YarSmythe
Old Mar 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
Granbury, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Sal,

Let's go back to square one and try to figure this out. You said you replaced the motor battery but how did you confirm the battery was bad? Would it not charge with the included charger? Second, when the new battery arrived did it work on existing charger? Are you able to check the voltage on this new battery?

"Chattering" from your servos usually means it can not get a signal from your transmitter. This can be from dead TX batteries, a loose TX antenna, poor location or broken receiver antenna, loose crystal on the receiver, or a bad servo.

Here's is my suggestion. Pull the receiver out (if it can be removed easily) and plug in a 4.8/6v receiver battery directly into it. If you don't have one, take everything to your LHS and ask if you can borrow one. Plug in ONE servo to the receiver and turn on your transmitter. Try using the transmitter to run the servo in each channel. If this works then you have hopefully ruled out the expensive pieces (receiver / transmitter). Next you will want to plug in the ESC/BEC into channel 3, plug in your LiPo (no motor necessary) and see if the speed controller is providing enough power. If this works, then we might want to check the servos in the plane. I've had a bad servo that caused all kinds of problems with my receiver. Swapping it out did the trick.

Start with basic parts and then add one at a time. That's the best way to troubleshoot this problem. From what you've said...my guess would be an antenna (RX or TX) issue or a bad cable connection.

Let us know.

-Lee
Yeah when I got the plane 2 weeks ago I tried charging the batt on the supplied charger and my good charger too. Both said there was an issue with the battery, and hobbico concurred as they replaced it. The new one I received today charged right up on the supplied charger, and my good charger just balanced it a bit before it was done. I used my voltmeter and all the voltage looks good. So I turned on the TX and put the battery into the plane and connected it up. I heard one beep, should have been two. The servos all started chattering and the lighting system came on. I tried the aliron and elevator functions on the TX and nothing happened. I tried the rudder and again nothing happened. So I took the prop off and tried the throttle, and again nothing. I don't have a 4.3 RX pack but I do have an old AA cell pack that I will try out on it to see if it might be the ESC but since the TX has a rattle to it, I think it might be busted. I'm going to send it off to Hobbico to see if they can find the issue, but I'm not sure if they will honor the warranty now that I've had the plane for two weeks and counting. And of course, everyone knows the Tactic Radio system that comes with this thing is pretty much junk.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 07:46 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
And of course, everyone knows the Tactic Radio system that comes with this thing is pretty much junk.
Actually I could not disagree more.

It is likely the nicest system I have seen included in a RTF model. It has a great feel, the gimbals are pretty decent, and mine is functioning perfectly.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:57 PM
Colorado
Joined Jan 2007
423 Posts
Quote:
Yeah when I got the plane 2 weeks ago I tried charging the batt on the supplied charger and my good charger too. Both said there was an issue with the battery, and hobbico concurred as they replaced it. The new one I received today charged right up on the supplied charger, and my good charger just balanced it a bit before it was done. I used my voltmeter and all the voltage looks good. So I turned on the TX and put the battery into the plane and connected it up. I heard one beep, should have been two. The servos all started chattering and the lighting system came on. I tried the aliron and elevator functions on the TX and nothing happened. I tried the rudder and again nothing happened. So I took the prop off and tried the throttle, and again nothing. I don't have a 4.3 RX pack but I do have an old AA cell pack that I will try out on it to see if it might be the ESC but since the TX has a rattle to it, I think it might be busted. I'm going to send it off to Hobbico to see if they can find the issue, but I'm not sure if they will honor the warranty now that I've had the plane for two weeks and counting. And of course, everyone knows the Tactic Radio system that comes with this thing is pretty much junk.
Mine only beeps once also but everything works fine. I would try a different pair of crystals if you have some/ borrow some. If you have another receiver or can borrow one that would help figure it out pretty quick.
Rotor13B is offline Find More Posts by Rotor13B
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:30 PM
Granbury, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
55 Posts
Well I broke the warranty on the TX. I took it apart and shook the little piece of metal out of it and tightened the antenna down and guess what? It works. I guess the little piece of metal was riding some traces and made the TX not work. Hope it didn't screw it up too bad and I'll be able to fly now. Funny thing is, now that I've done that, the chatter is gone and the servos actually move in a smooth manner. If the TX decides to die, I think I may just get a spektrum 6100 RX and go that route, since i have the Spektrum Dx5e TX already. thanks for the help guys, I was about to get really frustrated at this plane but it seems after you talking me down it actually is going to be OK lmao
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
14 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on installing a new nose gear assembly? I sat mine down a little hard and broke the nose gear and the servo horn. I have replacements, but I cant figure out how to uninstall the old and install the new. Any advice?
rrracer600 is offline Find More Posts by rrracer600
Old Mar 29, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2008
59 Posts
Thats a really helpful review.Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I am thinking that I am going to buy this plane, I believe it is worth the splurge especially for a nice looking scale cessna like this one. And it seems like it flies nice. I decided that the glow planes are such a hassle to bring out to the club field and I can barley find the time to fly it...

Could you fly this plane in the space of a football field?

Also, I have a JR S400 transmitter which I had in my old Alpha 40 trainer, would I be able to use this transmitter for this cessna?
harrington.bla is offline Find More Posts by harrington.bla
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
59 Posts
RxR??

What does RxR version? Is that receiver ready? What does that mean and is it worth it to wait for that version as opposed to getting the other one...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruitingsux
Picked up the flyzone 182 select yesterday. I was going to wait for the RxR version, but I plan on doing some FPV when the Flycamone v3 (2.4Ghz) comes out, and figured I can swap back and forth at will. The plane went together fairly easy, the only place I had an issue was with the elevator pushrod. It has a screw that tightens the pushrod down, but no matter how tight I got it, the rod moved within the hole (technical term there). I simply inserted a clipped staple (large) into the hole with the push rod and tightened her down. No problemo. The lights are super cool on this plane, and the clear LED on the left wing will let me know orientation in diminishing light. I am concerned the motor is underpowered-Butters what motor did you use and do you have any pics of the installation? I will fly her when the 40mph winds die down in the next couple of days. Can't wait!
JIm
harrington.bla is offline Find More Posts by harrington.bla
Old Mar 29, 2009, 05:15 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrington.bla
Thats a really helpful review.Thank you for taking the time to put it together. I am thinking that I am going to buy this plane, I believe it is worth the splurge especially for a nice looking scale cessna like this one. And it seems like it flies nice. I decided that the glow planes are such a hassle to bring out to the club field and I can barley find the time to fly it...

Could you fly this plane in the space of a football field?

Also, I have a JR S400 transmitter which I had in my old Alpha 40 trainer, would I be able to use this transmitter for this cessna?
Thanks!

The plane comes with a TX so you are all set there.

You can fly it in a football size area (with overfly). But that is as small as you should go. It will need VERY short grass or the track to take off and land.

Mike
RCG Plus Member