HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, OH, Sylvania
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
I got tired of the stock motor shaft bending easily. After reading through this thread and others I put a Eflite park 480 with a GWS DD 9 x 5 propeller on my Cessna. I also upgraded the ESC to a Eflite 30 amp. Had to do some adapting of the metal motor mount on the plane itself to get the 480 to fit. I'm glad I went through all the work.
Flew it today for the first time with the new motor, prop and a AR 600 receiver i installed.
Was kind of overcast today but very little wind.
Was nervous as hell when i re-maidened it today. Flew it five times. Definitely faster than the stock set up. Really cool seeing the plane come in with the landing light visible.
First four landings were without flaps. Decided to try the flaps on the final flight of the day.
Really slowed the plane down and she kinda just floated down to the runway.
Like this plane a lot now. My second favorite now behind my Parkzone T-28 .
Just wish the nose gear was not so damn fragile . I thought of changing the nose gear out completely, but I do like the scale looks of the stock nose gear.
Matt
mkrochmaln is offline Find More Posts by mkrochmaln
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, IL, Oswego
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Motor question

So, after reading every one of the 2,014 posts in “ST 182 Cessna Skylark” thread, and the 286 posts in this thread I have a motor question. Please don’t be upset, I’m pretty sure this is a new question. I am drinking the cool-aid that the Eflite 480 may be the way to go for a motor upgrade; however I’m still in the mindset that I want the motor from the former ST version of this plane.

The flyzone C-182 comes with:
18 amp ESC and an 8X5.5 prop that most people are averaging 220 watts
Motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLBY&P=Z
ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZZ1&P=Z
Prop: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLBV&P=Z

The ST-Model had:
30 Amp ESC, and a 9X5 and I can’t remember all the watt numbers that were thrown around.

The Flyzone Corvalis Select Scale comes with:
30 amp ESC and a 9X5 prop that most people are averaging 250 watts
Motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLAS&P=Z
ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLAR&P=Z
Prop: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLAV&P=Z

The motor and firewall look identical, and it looks like it would bolt up with no modification at all. So I was wondering if any has researched this, or considered this motor as an upgrade. I have a strong feeling that the corvalis motor came from the old ST version of our 182.

Thanks,
Tom
tlindou is offline Find More Posts by tlindou
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlindou View Post
So, after reading every one of the 2,014 posts in “ST 182 Cessna Skylark” thread, and the 286 posts in this thread I have a motor question. Please don’t be upset, I’m pretty sure this is a new question. I am drinking the cool-aid that the Eflite 480 may be the way to go for a motor upgrade; however I’m still in the mindset that I want the motor from the former ST version of this plane.

The flyzone C-182 comes with:
18 amp ESC and an 8X5.5 prop that most people are averaging 220 watts
Motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLBY&P=Z
ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVZZ1&P=Z
Prop: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLBV&P=Z

The ST-Model had:
30 Amp ESC, and a 9X5 and I can’t remember all the watt numbers that were thrown around.

The Flyzone Corvalis Select Scale comes with:
30 amp ESC and a 9X5 prop that most people are averaging 250 watts
Motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLAS&P=Z
ESC: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLAR&P=Z
Prop: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCLAV&P=Z

The motor and firewall look identical, and it looks like it would bolt up with no modification at all. So I was wondering if any has researched this, or considered this motor as an upgrade. I have a strong feeling that the corvalis motor came from the old ST version of our 182.

Thanks,
Tom
From the pictures it does look pretty much the same. I did put a eflite 480 with a eflite 30 amp ESC in my cessna. I am so glad I did. I had my cessna flying when i probably should not have, very windy day. I think the battery came loose and shifted the CG. The plane nosed up, stalled, then nosed in from about 15 feet up. Came down straight on the propeller spinner. Only damage was a busted prop and a slight scrape on the spinner. No damage to the eflite 480 at all. The stock motor shaft would not have survived that. I did have to modify the
stock mounting plate by cutting out a space so the eflite would fit. I used a dremel tool with a grinding stone to cut out a new hole for the eflite. (Yeah, took awhile ) Used a titanium 7/64 drill bit to drill holes for the mounting bolts.
While i had it apart I heavily re-enforced the metal mounting plate. I used 1/4 wood dowels and a crap load of hot glue. The motor mount does not move much at all now.
You could try the corvalis motor. If thats not to your liking, you could go the eflite 480 route. Above all you will learn more.
I've learned a lot making mods to my cessna. At first I was leery about cutting the foam in the cessna. Now, it's no big deal.
I am not the most mechanically person, but I am learning
First flight with the new motor, I was very nervous. I doubted it would even fly, but it flies great.
Matt
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:45 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrochmaln View Post
The stock motor shaft would not have survived that. I did have to modify the
stock mounting plate by cutting out a space so the eflite would fit. I used a dremel tool with a grinding stone to cut out a new hole for the eflite. (Yeah, took awhile ) Used a titanium 7/64 drill bit to drill holes for the mounting bolts.
While i had it apart I heavily re-enforced the metal mounting plate. I used 1/4 wood dowels and a crap load of hot glue. The motor mount does not move much at all now.
You could try the corvalis motor. If thats not to your liking, you could go the eflite 480 route.
Matt
Can you give some pictures on how you handled the motor mount? I agree that the stock motor /motor shaft will bend at any excuse, and I'd like to replace it. But it has a strange 3-hole motor mount.
Thanks

Like many others, I gave up on the front LG, and turned it into a tail-dragger.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
Can you give some pictures on how you handled the motor mount? I agree that the stock motor /motor shaft will bend at any excuse, and I'd like to replace it. But it has a strange 3-hole motor mount.
Thanks

Like many others, I gave up on the front LG, and turned it into a tail-dragger.
I was able to use the top two holes on the existing motor plate. I had to drill two new holes for the bottom bolts. I used a 7/64 drill bit. The Eflite motor comes with these
nut like things that i was able to screw the blots into. The motor sits a little lower to the ground than the stock set up. Seems to fly just fine. Probably does not matter much since a lot of electric motors are mounted pointing down and to the right.
I also had to use a dremel to cut out some foam on the inside of the foam cowl
to allow the eflite to spin freely. I attached a couple pictures of the dremel tools i used, the narrow stone i used to grind the hole larger, took awhile because it would get hot, so i would let it cool as to not melt the surrounding foam. The wider flat stone i used to cut out foam on the cowl. Cut out a hatch that i just glue or tape back into place to make it easier to work on the mount. You can also see some of the 1/4 inch dowel I used to re-enforce the motor mount. The dowel you see has two other dowels coming off its ends, parallel to the fuselage and extending back to the foam near the battery compartment. ( hope that made sense .
Matt
Hope the pictures are ok, just used my iphone to take the pictures. Rainy here today, hope to fly some tomorrow.
Matt
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Thanks for the pics mkrochmaln. Has anyone by chance opened up the wing yet? I'm about to tackle mine to give a more scale appearance to the lighting and wing tips. (adding tip strobes, and clear plastic tip with lights inside) I will post pictures when I've gotten to this.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlindou View Post
Thanks for the pics mkrochmaln. Has anyone by chance opened up the wing yet? I'm about to tackle mine to give a more scale appearance to the lighting and wing tips. (adding tip strobes, and clear plastic tip with lights inside) I will post pictures when I've gotten to this.
No problem. I have not opened up the wing yet either. Does sound cool adding more scale looking lights.
Matt
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Apr 2012
710 Posts
I found using this motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-103...resccombo.html with a GWS 9 x 7.5 HD prop or APC 9 x 6 works as a great replacement. And you don't have to mod the metal plate it has the 3 hole setup also.

I know your thinking of the Lower KV but with the 9 prop it flies just as good if not more scale than the stock motor at higher KV with a 8 prop.
I used a GWS 8x6 HD prop with the stock motor and did that baby scream.
FlyGuy3345 is online now Find More Posts by FlyGuy3345
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
[QUOTE=FlyGuy3345;22813182]I found using this motor http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-103...resccombo.html with a GWS 9 x 7.5 HD prop or APC 9 x 6 works as a great replacement. [QUOTE]

Thanks FlyGuy! You haven't by chance thrown a wattmeter on it have you? I'd love to see those numbers.
Last edited by tlindou; Sep 23, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:53 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
Joined Apr 2012
710 Posts
Nope. don't have one. I am not that advanced into the hobby to own one....yet.
I can tell you I fly 2500 mah 3s hyperions and I can get almost a full 20 mins flight time. I do a lot of scale and bush flying with it tho. I would stick to 15 min tho. I have built a log of my fly time using this setup which is why I know I can get 20 mins out of her.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
46 Posts
nose gear test flight

Made this video this morning at the weak signals rc club in Temperance,Michigan. Was very windy so I kept the flight short. I made some modifications to the nose gear, this was a test flight. I re-inforced the plastic collar above the wheel pant with two small metal rods(one on each side of the collar) and epoxy and hot glue. I also moved two of the metal plates that are in the cowl to behind the nose gear, to stiffen up the area behind the nose gear fire wall. Not pretty, but it works . The aircraft bounced a few times on landing, but the modification held
Matt
PICT0001 (3 min 25 sec)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:16 AM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Curious as to anyone else besides myself has ditched the less than perfect tires/wheels and wheel pants?
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:19 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
Joined Apr 2012
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Curious as to anyone else besides myself has ditched the less than perfect tires/wheels and wheel pants?
That is the first mod I did. Turned it into a tail dragger with 3 inch Dubro diamond lite tread with a thicker landing strut. She flies off grass amazingly, even that taller stuff.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
I shoulda said other than the tail-dragger mods...which are very cool.

I used a day off and made a short video this morning...actually first one with the 182.

182 KMJD (1 min 50 sec)

Here's mine:
Last edited by mds47588; Nov 22, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Here is one that I painted to match one of the planes in our fleet at work. Stripes are Callie-Graphics and she nailed it!! In fact, this same picture (I think) is on her website and I'm working on another one now.

The real plane is a 172, and of course the model is a 182...but who would really know?

It's not flown yet...but it will...and there will be plenty of pictures.