HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
We nosed in off a power line this weekend. Sucked. We just went a head and bought a new one. Both planes a RX-R from tower Hobbies. These are the 48" models with flaps and lights. I use the DX8 and AR8000 receiver combo. The new plane came in tonight. The old plane is a parts plane now. Salvage is the ESC, Battery, Receiver, Servos, pushrods/gear, Landing Gear, and Tail components. The whole front end, fuselage, and top wing are trash. With coupon codes got the new one shipped for $135.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Ouch!

Power lines are plane eaters. I have a newspaper pic of a crop duster that was caught by power lines. The plane was destroyed but the pilot was seen walking around the wreckage collecting his personal items.

Power lines and light poles destroy plenty of aircraft. My first gas plane fell victim to a light pole. The very top caught the horizontal stab and send her nose into concrete. I've had other aircraft fall into the lines of death but not recently. I've been avoiding them at all cost. Good luck with your new plane. I hope for u the best of flying experience.
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
Last edited by eaglescry24; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:00 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
Ouch!

Power lines are plane eaters. I have a newspaper pic of a crop duster that was caught by power lines. The plane was destroyed but the pilot was seen walking around the wreckage collecting his personal items.

Power lines and light poles destroy plenty of aircraft. My first gas plane fell victim to a light pole. The very top caught the horizontal stab and send her nose into concrete. I've had other aircraft fall into the lines of death but not recently. I've been avoiding them at all cost. Good luck with your new plane. I hope for u the best of flying experience.
Thanks. We will rpobably fly her maiden at the AMA NEFI on the 22nd! Right now we have the new plane and are doing some custom paint work to it and setting up the electronics. We fly her on DX8 and DX6i radios with an AR 6210 receiver. It flew great outside of our piloting skills! Can't wait to fly the new one!!!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
After flying my Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos, HZ Champ and HZ Super Cub for a couple of months, I ordered one of these Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane planes from Tower Hobbies. I hope I am ready for it. I have been flying the Cessna 182 in my Real Flight 6 sim for a week or so just to get oriented on the plane. This will be my first 4+ channel plane.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,486 Posts
I should have done what you did and started out with a Champ or HZSC. I just went for the 182 select scale as my first plane.
You should do fine with it. But you should know that its faster than the supercub and doesnt have nearly the drag. When you kill the throttle on it it will want to glide alot farther. Also, I wouldnt try to land with the flaps until you where comfortable landing without them.
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Here's a short flight vid with my tail dragger mod

Cessna 182 flight (1 min 5 sec)
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Can't Afford the Real Thing
Canada, ON, Oshawa
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
Hi all,

I got my flyzone Cessna last week, a perfect upgrade from my old arttech.
So I have her fitted for my 3s20c 3000mah, nose weights are out and a 50a ESC w separate BEC is in. I also grabbed a 8x4DD.
Does anyone know the max out put of the stock motor, and or what is the largest prop that can be run on stock without cooking her?

Thanks

Scott
Pilot420 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot420
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
The new plane is not throttling up. I am wondering if it is the receiver that might be damaged from the old plane crash? We switched the ESC out and the motor does not spool up. Everything else is bound and works OK. The receiver is a spektrum 6210.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,486 Posts
Try using the esc it came with and see if it works?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:09 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
Yup, used the new ESC and it would barely move the prop. Used the old ESC and it did not work at all. Makes me suspect the receiver was damaged. I have an extra AR8000. Will a DX6i bind to a AR8000 being that it is 8 channel? I think that it will.

Any thoughts? I will test the new receiver later.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Try a different channel on the rx use rudder chan and when powering up use full direction either way to get 0 throttle. There are all kinds of ways to test this issue out.

And if u have it try it and try that rx on a different setup like a totally different plane if in your possesion.

Or hook a servo up to the throttle channel and test er out that way.
Last edited by eaglescry24; Jun 15, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Scott... I have no idea but I'm sure there's a chart there somewhere. I am surprised u went with such a large esc and didn't change ur motor. I think an 8x5sf or even try like a 9x5 or a 9x6 sf. Let us kno what and how.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:41 AM
Can't Afford the Real Thing
Canada, ON, Oshawa
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
I did it because I was modifying her for the larger batteries I have, figured I would take the weights out and while I was there I had the 50a laying around. I am planning on the park 480 in the future.

Thank you for your reply, I will let you know how it goes.
Pilot420 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot420
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:07 AM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot420 View Post
I did it because I was modifying her for the larger batteries I have, figured I would take the weights out and while I was there I had the 50a laying around. I am planning on the park 480 in the future.

Thank you for your reply, I will let you know how it goes.
I use a park 480 w/40a esc and 11x7sf it works wonderfully! But the added weight flying with a 2200 3s seems to not last very long. I'm thinkin bout going up to a 3000 or so.
Power on approach is needed until the flare.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
Joined Jun 2011
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
Try a different channel on the rx use rudder chan and when powering up use full direction either way to get 0 throttle. There are all kinds of ways to test this issue out.

And if u have it try it and try that rx on a different setup like a totally different plane if in your possesion.

Or hook a servo up to the throttle channel and test er out that way.
Turns out that the DX6i is having a problem. The throttle isn't even working on the Sim. Bound it to a blade heli and the throttle Was all screwed up. Will have to send it in.