Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:42 PM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglescry24 View Post
What prop did u use viper?
I use an 11x7 on the e-flite 480 and it is a rocket ship if I open it up all the way. I normally fly at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when I am tooling around though.

Funny thing happened this last weekend. I was inverted and flying low when I heard a loud scrape. Once I landed I looked around at the tail and didn't see anything then a guy pointed out my LED was scratched slightly. Guess that is too low.

I do love this plane now that I powered it properly (for my taste) and took out those nose weights. With a 2200 mah battery in the front it balances perfectly. Also put my flaps on a delay so my nose does not pitch to the heavens every time I hit the switch. Now I hit the switch and pull the throttle slowly and it seems to be pretty even throughout. If I add throttle too quickly it will pitch up again, but I never slam throttle on this thing anyway.
viper69 is offline Find More Posts by viper69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2011, 09:21 AM
Flying the Spyder
United States, PA, Parkesburg
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Aww, I just ordered a 3 blade 9x7. Do ya think it'll work?
eaglescry24 is offline Find More Posts by eaglescry24
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Ok. Finally got a maiden flight in. Sort of. Been itching to go after getting the twitching problem solved. Winds were 5-10 which is more than I like for a first flight. Did I mention a bit cross as well. A little squirrely on the takeoff roll. Thats when it hit me this was not a good idea. Pulled the stick back and cleared the curb. As stated previously, needs more power. Took some time to trim out. Seemed tail heavy even with the 3s-2200 full forward. Did I mention the winds quickly increased to 10-15 mph after take off. My first priority was to try to land in one piece. After two attempts I brought her in hard. A hard left turn to avoid my truck caused her to flip over. No damage other than a scratched wing tip. Can't really give an accurate assessment considering I was fighting the wind the whole time. More power would be nice. Never got to test out the flaps. Need a calmer day to really put her through the paces. Easier on the nerves as well.
fuzzyhead is offline Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:32 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Ordered a tail wheel assy today. Beefing up some areas with nylon tape and epoxy. Rebuilt the flimsy wood piece on top the fuse structuring the frame assy. Finally, am trying to figure out a way to mount the new motor.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
Fuzzy, mine had a tendacy to stall the elevator really easy. Not sure if you're having the same issue. If she's nose heavy it'll stall easy. Come to think of it I had to trim her out with hefty nose down elevator for level flight. Still a tendacy to fly heavy. I have dx7i trying to figure out how to slow the flap down viper.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 05:22 PM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Fuzzy, mine had a tendacy to stall the elevator really easy. Not sure if you're having the same issue. If she's nose heavy it'll stall easy. Come to think of it I had to trim her out with hefty nose down elevator for level flight. Still a tendacy to fly heavy. I have dx7i trying to figure out how to slow the flap down viper.
I don't know for sure since I fly Futaba, but I read that the DX7 can't do it. Kind of a bummer actually!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833991

Are you wanting to mount an e-flite 480 up front? I have a few photos of how I did mine if so. It was pretty easy, but took some thought. Let me know if you can't find them here and I will send you a link.

cheers,
james
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:39 AM
Flying the Spyder
Joined Mar 2008
304 Posts
I just watched a vid of HK cessna 310. It looks like they have 3 blade props and a nice spinner to match. An eyeball guess that it'd fit this 182 bell motor as it fits bell motors on that 310.

Yes viper I purchased 480 motor and looking to mount. I saw ur pics and am trying to come up with something with what I have.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:49 AM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Got a windless day to put her in the air again. She flew pretty good. No question it needs more power. Stock system seems slow to build up speed when you get into trouble. All else as advertised. Scale by design. Don't expect fast rolls. Loops were ok though. Used the flaps for the first time. My set up allows for a two position system. A no flap take off roll is about 60 feet. Half flaps about 40 feet. Full flaps 25-30 feet. Landing takes a bit more practice. She does ballon up a bit when flaps are selected. Will slow waaaaaaay down. Easy to stall if not careful. I did have a few bouncy landings. Needs a little more color. Not the most visible thing in a gray cloudy sky.
For those of you who replaced the motor, what is your mounting set up? I'm using an Atlas 480 from my Multiplex Gemini. Got a 3536-10 on the way for that one. A couple light wind mornings ahead. Charge em up.
Rick
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:27 PM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
I just watched a vid of HK cessna 310. It looks like they have 3 blade props and a nice spinner to match. An eyeball guess that it'd fit this 182 bell motor as it fits bell motors on that 310.

Yes viper I purchased 480 motor and looking to mount. I saw ur pics and am trying to come up with something with what I have.
Cool, keep us posted. I only needed two thin pieces of plywood, but it took some drilling into the metal in two places. Not an elegant solution, but so far it is still holding strong.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:30 PM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyhead View Post
Got a windless day to put her in the air again. She flew pretty good. No question it needs more power. Stock system seems slow to build up speed when you get into trouble. All else as advertised. Scale by design. Don't expect fast rolls. Loops were ok though. Used the flaps for the first time. My set up allows for a two position system. A no flap take off roll is about 60 feet. Half flaps about 40 feet. Full flaps 25-30 feet. Landing takes a bit more practice. She does ballon up a bit when flaps are selected. Will slow waaaaaaay down. Easy to stall if not careful. I did have a few bouncy landings. Needs a little more color. Not the most visible thing in a gray cloudy sky.
For those of you who replaced the motor, what is your mounting set up? I'm using an Atlas 480 from my Multiplex Gemini. Got a 3536-10 on the way for that one. A couple light wind mornings ahead. Charge em up.
Rick
Hey Rick,
Glad to hear you got it in the air finally. If it makes you feel better, after I put in the 480, it is a whole new airplane. Now if I so choose it is a rocket ship. I still fly half to 3/4 throttle, but when you need it that motor will really spice things up a bit.

Also completely correct that if you add full flaps and let that nose come up it will slow down very quickly and can stall. I have a flap delay so I can better deal with the nose up/down issues. Of course if you hit full throttle with full flaps it will practically loop before you know what it is doing.

Keep us posted on the motor upgrade when it happens.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:37 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Ran into a slight problem with the intended motor. The Atlas 480 does not have holes on the backside to let me attach a prop adapter. An option would be to reverse the shaft allowing me to put the x mount on the rear. I hesitate because the last time I tried that I damaged a motor. I could use the 3536-10 motor coming but that seems like way to much power.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:41 PM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Ran into a slight problem with the intended motor. The Atlas 480 does not have holes on the backside to let me attach a prop adapter. An option would be to reverse the shaft allowing me to put the x mount on the rear. I hesitate because the last time I tried that I damaged a motor. I could use the 3536-10 motor coming but that seems like way to much power.
Bummer... hey, what kind of crewchief are you? I am an F-16 crewchief now in Tucson, AZ.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:53 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
Hate to say this but I haven't been a real crewchief in 25 years. Last jet I crewed was an F-4G Wild Weasel at George AFB in California (1991). Now closed. Moved on as a flightchief prior to retiring. Before that I was on T-37's and A-10's. I am now working as a civil servant at Randolph AFB in the T-6A Texan II phase docks. Still got it in my blood.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:05 PM
Cheaper than botox
Escondido California
Joined Oct 2006
226 Posts
Quote:
Hate to say this but I haven't been a real crewchief in 25 years. Last jet I crewed was an F-4G Wild Weasel at George AFB in California (1991). Now closed. Moved on as a flightchief prior to retiring. Before that I was on T-37's and A-10's. I am now working as a civil servant at Randolph AFB in the T-6A Texan II phase docks. Still got it in my blood.
That is awesome. I love the F4 and when I was a kid at Tinker AFB the Reserve unit flem them all the time. I really miss that. Once in a while I see an F4 during an airshow and love it. Tucson is full of A-10s at DM AFB.

The Texan II is pretty sweet too. I suspect it is more fun than the T-37 was for the new guys. I would love to get in the front seat of one of those. I suspect Phase is pretty easy as compared to the older aircraft.

George AFB still has some aircraft, including the MQ-1 Predator. They are controlled from March AFB.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:20 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Joined May 2004
1,277 Posts
I know we are drifting way off topic but its good to share a few memories. I spent almost 10 years on F-4's. All at George. They come through here on a regular basis. Being the AETC HQ, Randolph does a lot of horse and pony shows. Had a freshly painted E model here Friday to commerate the 81 TFS. A combat Weasel squadron that flew in Desert Storm. I was there with the 561st TFS. The T-6A is a more capable plane but also more fragile. Too many bells and whistles for a basic trainer. Phase docks can be a handful at times. With the exception of egress and sheet metal, we do all our own work.