New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
Find More Posts by N1EDM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
443 Posts
That's a great endorsement. Can you send a large picture or two showing your installation?

Thanks,

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2015, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by metalwizard
United States, UT, Hurricane
Joined Aug 2012
823 Posts
Ok I am going to have to say.... Good and BAD.

I love the design.. I love the looks I love the way its built.. everything on the plane is great. I fitted mine with an Evolution GN10 gas motor..

BUT the bad.. the covering SUCKS.. or worse. you heat it and it seems to expand not shrink.. then you get it really hot and it starts to shrink.. but pulls away from the wood. you fight it and get the wrinkles out... then 10 mins later they come back..

Sorry but that makes the airplane BAD. I HATE fiddling with covering I like it to look nice.. not all wrinkled and falling apart.. you tighten it up it goes loose it makes the whole plane look like crap..

I cant wait to crash it so I can tear this junk off and recover it with ultrakote
metalwizard is online now Find More Posts by metalwizard
Old Apr 18, 2015, 06:39 PM
Find More Posts by walter3rd
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
3,621 Posts
I know what you mean. I did a covering job on one of my planes and it looked great! Couple months hanging in my basement and the tail is covered in wrinkles! What the heck! Very annoying. Goes from gorgeous to crap looking. Ugh.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Apr 19, 2015, 09:47 AM
Find More Posts by Krumpel
Crash tests done dirt cheap!
United States, WV, Lewisburg
Joined Feb 2014
87 Posts
Its likely that the wrinkles coming and going are differences in humidity swelling and shrinking the structure. I have an Escapade 40 hanging in my garage and over the winter (less humidity) the covering wrinkled up. Now that the weather has warmed up (more humidity) the covering tightened up again without me touching anything.

Just my experience. YMMV
Krumpel is offline Find More Posts by Krumpel
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,411 Posts
Monocote is the best covering. You need heat and start in between the ribs.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
823 Posts
Guys thanks for the input..

I have covered many airplanes, and "tightened" lots of ARF's over the years..

I even have setting on my iron marked "monokoat... Ultrakoat shrink. tack etc"

I have NEVER had one respond like this one.. you heat it up between the ribs and it balloons outward.. then when it cools its wrinkled..

even using the iron gets the same results,. even when there is wood behind it... instead of sticking to the wood... it bubbles up and does not stick.. then when it cools it wrinkles..

I dont know what it is maybe I got a bad one... but its still sitting here on my shelf.. and I am disgusted on how it looks.. I have tried 4 or 5 times to make it look good and it just does not.. I have tried hotter and hotter untill I melted a hole.. I tried cooler and cooler until it did nothing.. still the same results..

I am tempted to contact great planes and complain..
Old Apr 23, 2015, 06:50 AM
Find More Posts by N1EDM
Brockton, MA
Joined Nov 2003
443 Posts
Have you tried a heat guy? It's more risky because of the potential to burn through, but it might be the only thing that would help.

Just my $.02

Bob
N1EDM is offline Find More Posts by N1EDM
Old Apr 23, 2015, 08:17 AM
Joined Aug 2012
823 Posts
Gun? Yep when you do that it balloons up and pulls away from the airframe and dies not stick down