HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2009, 10:33 AM
Vic and Quinn Walton
Santa Barbara CA
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW
How heavy is the cowl and the RimFire? I've set mine up with a Scorpion SII-3026-710 and haven't yet bought the cowl, but even with a 4S5000 battery as far forward as possible I needed nose weight . Flies really well, with a bit of wind howl at high speed (maybe b/c of the fuselage cheeks?). I'm planning on adding the cowl just so I can remove some (maybe all) of the nose weight.
The motor is 9.5 ounces. We didn't weigh the cowl, but it weighs next to nothing, maybe half an ounce? We balanced dead-on with no weight, but remember we had to throw that motor 3/8" further out with spacers because the cowl didn't clear it. That would have a pretty large impact on CG.

If you go electric you have to get the cowl. It's just so pretty with it on and so - yuck - without it.
rc2xs is offline Find More Posts by rc2xs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2009, 11:16 AM
Vic and Quinn Walton
Santa Barbara CA
Joined Jan 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Very well written article. I'm stunned it fly's so well on just 4 cells! Just how many watts is propelling that model so well?

Tommy D
640 watts WOT on a fresh battery.
rc2xs is offline Find More Posts by rc2xs
Old Jul 05, 2009, 02:24 PM
DJW
Canada, ON, London
Joined Aug 2007
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc2xs
The motor is 9.5 ounces. We didn't weigh the cowl, but it weighs next to nothing, maybe half an ounce? We balanced dead-on with no weight, but remember we had to throw that motor 3/8" further out with spacers because the cowl didn't clear it. That would have a pretty large impact on CG.

If you go electric you have to get the cowl. It's just so pretty with it on and so - yuck - without it.
That would be the difference, my Scorpion is 7.2 ounces. I don't have 2 ounces of weight, but I'm also running a bigger battery. I've already ordered the cowl - after looking through the pics in your review, you're right, it's a no-brainer.

Thanks.
DJW is offline Find More Posts by DJW
Old Jul 06, 2009, 07:14 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
thanks for the review, looks like a real winner and a very good price for a 40 size arf
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:12 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Hey Guys,
I need an instruction set on installing the EP Escapade Cowl.
I called Great Planes and was told it only comes with the purchase of the cowl.
Can anyone help?
Thanks!!!
donjiskra is offline Find More Posts by donjiskra
Old Mar 03, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Hmmm

I did the Cowl upgrade but not so sure you really "need" instructions. By that I mean to say your motor choice and or adapter choice is going to dictate where the cowl finally ends up.

In my case Between the Hyperion outrunner and ICE ESC I had to make a few... Umm mods.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:01 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Tommy D,
I have the instructions that came with the optional cowl, but the sheet only refers to an engine install not an electric motor. Your photo helps, so does the instruction sheet, which says to cut off the fuselage 1/8" (3mm) ahead of the firewall. I'll cut off 1/2 " and proceed from there. The firewall has #6 blind nuts so all I need to do is install #6 threaded rods and some nylon spacers and to get the motor forward enough for the prop top clear.
Thanks for your help.
Don

I've attached the cowl mounting instructions .
Old Mar 03, 2010, 09:04 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Enjoy Don, it's a nice flying plane for sure!
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Apr 01, 2010, 06:56 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Guys,
Here's my EP Escapade. This model from Great Planes is awesome. She was a delight to assemble and looks great with the optional cowl, which really streamlines its appearance. She is a true "Hangar Queen", but can't wait to get her airborne. The black prop is an EMP Scimitar from Cermark, but no data is listed in ElectrCalc for it, so I used data for a Zinger. I used red paint on the prop tips to get it balanced, which surprised me how much was need to get a proper balance. I had the same experience with another KAOS prop that I used on my RCM funster, so I recommend that these props must be checked.
The photo and the ElectriCalc screen capture says it all.
Last edited by donjiskra; Apr 01, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 11:53 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
I'm planning to install an AXI 2826/10 isntead of the rimfire. Last night was a fun evening -- I found that the AXI mount is about 1/4 inch SMALLER than the iontended setup.

Possible solutions:
1) Add a new firewall plate to permit the two sets of bolts to be used (one for the AXI holes, the other making use of the rimfire holes.)
2) Is there a different AXI mount that allows the use of the rimfire holes, or does the rimfire mount work on an AXI?

Comments?
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
Old Apr 01, 2010, 04:35 PM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
I had a similar problem with my AXI 2820/16 when I tried to install it in the RCM Funster. I was perplexed, like you, until I figured out a solution.
Just elongate the holes in the AXI mount with a drill, to match the holes in the firewall. This solution solved the problem.
Hope this works for you also, good luck.
Old Apr 02, 2010, 07:22 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
I thought of that but wondered if someone had come up with a different solution.

Of well, now to get a new FireStorm pack at Rona (Canadian competitor to Home Desperate.... uuh Depot....)
Old Apr 02, 2010, 10:35 AM
WAA-08 Pilot Eventually
Darien,IL,USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,570 Posts
Let us know if you can find another solution.

Good luck.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:50 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
I got out the fine-tip marking pen and put ink spots in the right spot. Tonight, I'll dig out the old electric drill and elongate the original holes.

Taking out the original blind nuts was not easy -- I tried the tried-and-true expendient of putting a micro screwdriver into the nut and pounding it loose. Unfortunately, the glue joints on the latch side of the ESC rail gave up. Five more minutes with a wash of SuperPhatic glue and letting it dry overnight solved that problem.

I'm going to put new nuts in place to ensure good connections as well as using thread lock to ensure that everything stays put.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 11:30 AM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,729 Posts
If anyone reading this is looking for one there is a great deal in the for sale electric section on a pnp escapade, not my ad.
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet