SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2008, 05:11 PM
HAL... Open the damn doors!
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Build Log
CAModels Genesis 3D Build Thread...

I finally went after a plane I've always wanted to fly, a Genesis though with a slight twist of it being a Genesis 3D. The two planes are practically identical with the 3D having about 5" more aileron, a larger rudder and much more elevator. The fuse is identical in both models so it's really control surfaces only. The surfaces aren't crazy 3D size but modest in size, meaning I feel I can fly this more F3A style and learn 3D at the same time. Originally I wanted the regular Genesis, considering I already have a C-ARF Impact, I decided why not go for a "dual purpose" plane capable of flying what I like today and learning 3D for tomorrow.

Quite a surprise to me was a recent edition of MA where there was an advertisement for F3A planes in Miami, not 20 miles from me in Miramar FL. I called and found they are more of a warehouse than a full serivice hobby shop but they were happy to have me come down and "touch" one before buying so what the heck. Well, who can touch it without buying, maybe you can but I'm only human and sure enough ended up purchasing one. The folks at Netbox Hobby deserve a shout out, nice and friendly and willing to open shipping crates.

Speaking of crates, this plane comes packaged in two custom made wood crates, screwed together and lined with foam, very nicely built. In my case I didn't want the shipping crates so they gladly unpacked the parts (which come in custom made bags for added protection) and let me leave the crates behind for them to use again. From the close inspection I did then, this plane is very nicely finished with a glass/composite fuse hand painted and wood sheeted foam wings and stabs covered in pearl Oracover. The rudder seems to be a mix of both being wood sheeted foam covered in Oracover but they add some custom paint to make it match the fuse exactly.

Here are some shots of all the parts unpacked in the hobby room waiting to be built. Unlike my Impact this plane comes mostly assembled, the wing tube, pins and alignment has been done. They've included a set of incidence adjusters for the wings, looks like they simply screw in place and have already been test fit. All the bulkheads are installed, including the rear bulkhead that had to be done by hand on the Impact (and it was a pain!). The most that has to be done is coming up with servo mounts for the stabs (I will cut holes in the fuse and mount in front of the stabs) and some type of motor mount. They include no instructions of any kind (bummer) and if the wood they have in the position of the firewall is supposed to actually be the firewall, I'd be surprised given it's density and strength are not much stronger than balsa...

TECH SPECS
------------
Wingspan: 77 in.
Fuse: 78 in.
Weight: 160 - 168 oz. (Glow Version)
Weight: 168 - 176 oz. (Electric Version)
Engine: 1.40 - 1.70 2T - 4T
Electric engine: Hacker C50 13XL
Design: Chip Hyde & Marcelo Colombo
Wing Area: 1,038 sq. in.

Jack
jfetter is offline Find More Posts by jfetter
Last edited by jfetter; Nov 04, 2008 at 07:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2008, 05:28 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
The wings and stab are balsa sheeted foam, they come pre-covered with pearl Oracover and are ready for hinges and servos. No hinges are fit, the thought being you can use what you like, I will use Robart pin hinges all the way around. I have to say I was originally thinking a plane in this price range should come with composite wings like my Impact, they are painted in the mold, strong and very light. I'm not sure there is any quality loss with wood sheeted foam, the weight is actually lighter I think so I'm willing to give them a try.

The covering pattern isn't as intricate as the painted fuse but overall I really like the color scheme. The wing tube sleeve comes pre mounted and the wing pins pre-fit. They include incidence adjusters for the rear wing pins which appear to simply screw on. As mentioned before there are no instructions, just what you see here plus 2 carbon tubes, gear, spinner, pants and incidence adjusters. I know the excuse, people like to build them differently but I don't think it's too much to ask for to have the factory assemble and take pictures for a simple manual, oh well.

The wings have servo cutouts underneath but the stabs do not. It would be easy enough to cut some out but again, I think this should be done for you. As it stands I'll likely mount the elevator servos in the fuse right in front of the stabs. My friend says NO! He said to mount them in the stabs or in the fuse but the pictures I've seen of the 3D have them surface mounted in the fuse and it looks fine. I guess it may be sacrilege to cut into such a beautiful fuse for some folks, perhaps I'll consider mounting them in the fuse and running carbon tubes, hmmm...

Jack
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:22 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Power Options;

I've been going back and forth on power options, the only thing I am certain of is I will run on 12S 5000 or 5350 packs, that's what I have (all 6S) and that's what I use in all my larger setups. I don't compete, if I ever do I'll get some 5S packs for a 10S setup.

The first motor I am considering is what I am familiair with and use now, the Axi 5330/F3A. This is a solid, powerful motor and I've had great success on 12S in my C-ARF Impact, a Hanger 9 Sundowner F1 and my Sebart Sukhoi 29S 140E.

The second option is the Hacker C50 13XL, the recommended motor from CAModels and what most folks install. I've had Hackers before, they are powerful but IMO a little too noisy. I just don't like the idea of so much noise given the Axi outrunnner is almost impossible to hear when flying.

The third option is the Neu 1515/2Y with HD gearbox. I've heard great things about Neu and I've been wanting to try one for some time. I know with either that Hacker or Neu I'll have a setup with greater efficiency but still, outrunners are so quiet!

Either way I'll be mounting to a nose ring, my first try at this type of mounting. Because the included firewall is balsa, I'd have to fabricate and install a new one, I think the nose ring would be easier plus I've already ordered a Budd Engineering soft mount and rear support that will work with the Hacker and Neu, I just have to decide...

Jack
Old Nov 06, 2008, 01:59 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
After some thought I decided to go with the Neu 1515/2Y with 6.7:1 HD gearbox. I plan on using a Budd Engineering soft mount, turns out the Hacker and Neu motors are close enough in size that the Budd mount will work fine. I just need to elongate the slots in the aluminum face plate for the mounting bolts as the diameter is 2mm larger for the Neu. The rear mounting ring is a little loose on the Neu since the can is ever so slightly smaller, I can correct that with a little padding in the ring.

To prepare the motor mouting I created a nose ring from some leftover parts from my Impact. I hade to make the nose ring smaller by 1/8" all the way around as well as angle it to get a good fit in the nose. I also marked and drilled the 4 holes for the Budd soft mount, as well as marked and cut the coresponding slots in the nose of the Genesis. The idea is the nose ring is epoxied in (BVM Aeropoxy) and then the Budd soft mount bolted on later, no idea on spacing yet, just getting the ring glued in.

While I was cutting I decided to gring a hole in the firewall (the balsa they call a firewall) for cooling. This will no doubt need to be enlarged, for now I just wanted it opened up a little bit. I also cut the center fiberglass from the canopy opening, it wasn't in the way but it was doing no good (flimsy) and I decided to put a new RX tray there instead. I can't get over the size of this opening, installing batteries really will be no trouble. I like this design, so much easier to deal with battery placement than my Impact where you need to shove your hand into into the nose area to caomplete the battery installation...

Jack
Old Nov 06, 2008, 06:56 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
That's an awesome plane, Jack. Can't wait to hear what you think of it in the air.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:03 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Jack - you always do the nicest build threads. Following this one with interest - great work.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:09 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
So I have what I consider to be the toughest part of the build done, the motor mount! The nose ring really isn't hard to fit but sizing it, cutting it, epoxying it and getting the motor mounted to it properly just takes a lot of futzing (for lack of a better word). As I mentioned before I used a carbon laminated ring leftover from my Impact parts for the nose ring and glued it in place with Aeropoxy. I made sure to set the nose ring back about 1/8" (using extra epoxy) to make sure the screw heads from the Budd soft mount wouldn't touch the back of the spinner back plate.

Once dry I attached the Budd soft mount to the nose ring with the included rubber mounts and bolts. The Budd soft mount is designed for the Hacker C50 series motors but it turns out the only difference between the Neu P42 gearbox and the Hacker C50 is the diameter of the mounting holes, just 1mm extra for the Neu. I easily lengthened the mounting slots in the front of the Budd mount with the dremel and whalla, a soft mount for the Neu! I attached the motor to the soft mount with 4 x 3mm cap head screws and there it is, done! I do have the support ring to mount as well but I want to wait until the end of the build to make sure nothing changes...

Jack
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:12 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Here are a few more pictures of the motor in-place, the rear support ring is not in place yet...

Jack
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:13 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
That's an awesome plane, Jack. Can't wait to hear what you think of it in the air.
If it flies even half as nice as it looks I'll love it!

Jack
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:14 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
Jack - you always do the nicest build threads. Following this one with interest - great work.
Thanks Blucor, much appreciated...

Jack
Old Nov 07, 2008, 05:21 PM
And You're Not
Timbuktu, Mali (Happy?)
Joined Oct 2002
6,514 Posts
I see you got the 8mm steel collet, good choice! The end of the P42 shaft is tapped for 3mm a screw, you can run a socket head or button head screw in there and make a spacer to adjust the spinner-cowl gap if it comes out a little tight.
Jeffery is offline Find More Posts by Jeffery
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:56 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
I see you got the 8mm steel collet, good choice! The end of the P42 shaft is tapped for 3mm a screw, you can run a socket head or button head screw in there and make a spacer to adjust the spinner-cowl gap if it comes out a little tight.
Jeffery,

That's a great idea! I was just going to move the collet back and forth until I had the correct gap and deal with the hassle but with a cap head in there, it will allow me to push against it when tightening the pop nut.

Thanks for the suggestion, I wouldn't have figured that one...

Jack
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:04 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
I started working on the hinges, the plane comes with nothing pre-cut or drilled (surprise!), I guess they figure each person has their own idea what's best. I decided to use Robart pin hinges after I saw just how great they worked when I did the Sebart Sukhoi 29S 140 build. They are solid as a rock and I've seen some scary wick hinges at the field lately.

What I didn't know is the make a jig for centering and drilling these pin hinges, go figure! Truth is with the jig and BVM Aeropoxy with a nozzle that fits right in the hole, I marked, drilled, glued and fit the hinges on the wings, stabs and rudder in only an hour. Perhaps Aeropoxy is overkill but my experience with it has been great and the stuff just doesn't let up...

Jack
Old Nov 08, 2008, 04:07 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
The hinges have all dried overnight, time to start working on the servos. I decided to get the rear servos out of the way first so I can attach landing gear, etc and not make it harder to work on the fuse. CAModels shows the elevator servos mounted in the fuse but offer no manual and any kind of guidance to help you. I talked to another guy over on Flying Giants before cutting into the gelcoat, he said pretty much all the 3D ones are built this way and to add some thin ply behind to stiffen the area. Anyone out there thinking why didn't he put them in the fuse remember this is pretty common nowadays to keep the linkage as short as possible, plus as the plane is electric I don't have to worry about fuel residue.

First thing I did was layout the stabs to get a mark where the front edge ended and then measured another 1/2" forward, this is the back edge of the servo cutout. I measures 1 5/8" x 7/8" for the servo cutout (Hitec 5625's) and cut out the hole carefully using the dremel with a small cutoff wheel. A little sanding with a medium emery board and that's all there is to it. For extra strength I cut some lite ply @ 2 3/4" x 3/4" to be epoxied to the back side of the holes where the servo screws will go. I simply applied a medium coat of Aeropoxy to the wood and dropped it through the opposite hole and slid it around until in the proper place. Once dry I should be able to get the elevator and rudder linkage completed and move on to the electronics...

Jack
Old Nov 08, 2008, 08:32 PM
Miramar, Florida
Joined Jul 2007
8,469 Posts
The wings and stabs are hinged and glued, while at it I also glued in some wood backing for the wheel pants to mount them more easily to the CF gear. I'm pretty much done with most of the little items, I wanted to mount the wing servos (Hitec 5625's) today as well but the cutouts are larger than the darned servos. I mean who cuts out a servo cutout larger than the tabs of the servo! Luckily I measured before cutting the covering so all I needed to do was cut some blocks and Aeropoxy them in, it does mean that I have to wait until tomorrow to mount the servos though...

Jack