HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:23 PM
Charleston SC
Joined Mar 2007
117 Posts
Build Log
1:12 Scale Starcraft scratchbuild...

This is my first scratchbuild model. Im making a plug to make a female mold right now. The real boat is a 1982 Starcraft 14' runabout, im building a 14'' model of it.

Real boat

So far ive got my foam block epoxied together and the template made to get the shape of the boat

Here is the foam block. 1st pic is right after i put the epoxy on it. 2nd pic is cured.

Here is the template. 1st pic is as i was drawing it out. 2nd pic is all cut out. I may end up making this into a plug for a deck mold.

I will be updating this thread as i move along with the project.
Bandit240 is offline Find More Posts by Bandit240
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:42 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,069 Posts
Cool...
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:49 PM
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Jan 2006
594 Posts
Hey bandit, here's an idea if you want the outboard look for power.
Put an inboard motor in place, prop under hull, the normal stuff.
Maker you rudder hang off the stern with and outboard housing top. That way you can at least get a simulated look of outboard power with the dummy outboard rudder cowling thingy.

14" is not a big hull. What size electric motor you thinking for that?
mitchlandry is offline Find More Posts by mitchlandry
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:00 PM
Charleston SC
Joined Mar 2007
117 Posts
Haven't figured that one out yet. I have thought of making a model of a Johnson 55hp motor to put on the back. Im still thinking jet-drive on this.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Bandit 240,
To be honest, it is great your scratch building your boat. But 14" is too small to do much with, selection of components for the drive train is very limited, jet drives are not made for it and even propeller selection is limited.

Honestly build it 3 times bigger, at 30" or larger you can use readily available motors and drives. It will be able to take more wind and will run better in the water.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:44 PM
Charleston SC
Joined Mar 2007
117 Posts
well this is just a starter to get an idea of what to do. Next boat will be bigger, im thinking of a 50'' houseboat model.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 06:50 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveciambrone
Bandit 240,
To be honest, it is great your scratch building your boat. But 14" is too small to do much with, selection of components for the drive train is very limited, jet drives are not made for it and even propeller selection is limited.

Honestly build it 3 times bigger, at 30" or larger you can use readily available motors and drives. It will be able to take more wind and will run better in the water.

Thanks
Steve
Bandit 240, I will enjoy following this build.

Steve, I would respectfully disagree with the boat being too small. 1/12 scale offers so many possibilities for creativity. As far as the outboard goes how about using a outdrive and putting a dummy outboard over it? If bandit decides he would like to trailer it there is almost unlimited possibilities for towing vehicles in 1/12. Some dimensions may need to be fudged to fit batteries and servos but that is where the challenge lies. Never say a boat is too small to r/c because somebody will take it as a challenge. Check out Boater_Dave's Swift boat http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832333
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem