HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2008, 01:26 PM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Discussion
delaminating balsa sheeting from Douglas Aircraft Silhouette

I have a 12+ year old Douglas Aircraft Silhouette sloper that I would like to finish. The problem is that it was never monokoted. So over time sitting in the garage there are portions of the sheeting on the wings which has delaminated. Is there a relatively straight forward way of getting the sheeting to stick down again w/o tearing it off? I would be fine with making holes here and there to inject adhesive. Although which adhesive should I use?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:33 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Hmm.. I can think of ways, but I would be very concerned that the parts that have not yet come loose might under the stress of flight.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 02, 2008, 11:56 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,949 Posts
It might just be easier to get a new set of cores cut and sheet them. Lots of wings are left without monokote and just finished with Deft or polyurethane, so the sheeting shouldn't have delaminated.

If you want to try injecting some epoxy under the wing skins, Orchard Supply carries disposeable syringes. You can't really get epoxy through most hypodermic needles, so you need to use the blunt nipple on the syringe- just drill a 1/8" hole through the sheeting at the delam, mix up some laminating resin (Tap Plastics SuperHard 4-into-1 works great) and inject it in. If you use a soft sheet of foam like a garden kneeling pad over a piece of polypropelene drop-cloth, and put some gentle weight on the wing with, say, a phone book, you can probably get the delam glued down.

Just be aware that a wing with delams probably has more lurking under the sheeting.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Nov 05, 2008, 01:57 AM
Luke 12:7
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Nov 2006
1,261 Posts
Hmmm... not the answers I was looking for.
I guess I need to explore pulling the sheeting off all together (carefully) and reapplying the adhesive. If that is even possible. I think I may do more damage by trying. I need to look through the manual and determine what adhesive I used the first time. I hate tossing the glider as I remember it performing quite nicely and it is fairly close to being done.

Any other suggestions?
reefboy is online now Find More Posts by reefboy