HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2009, 07:37 PM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
I got two flites in this afternoon on the AMX and one on the phase 3 f-16 and I think

the f-16 is maby two times as fast as the AMX!!!!! I thought the AMX was a little

slow but I flew the f-16 right after the AMX and the AMX right after the f-16 and the

AMX is way slow, both or stock so I orderd a littlescremmer from H L hope it will pump

it up some. can any one tell me if this motor will work on the stock ducted fan, and

do I need to order any thing to hook it up with, wondering if it has the same size motor

shaft?

any help?

John
big-john-52 is offline Find More Posts by big-john-52
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2009, 08:23 PM
lucygee
Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China
Joined Feb 2009
12 Posts
Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Welcome to RCGroups Lucy!! Do you work with Jalin!?

Your product is very much loved here in Northern California!!
Sorry for the late reply, cause im not very familiar with the forum functions.
Yes, i m working for Jalin who is a smart and competent boss.
bet you are more of an expert on RC models than we are. really need your help later.
lucygee is offline Find More Posts by lucygee
Old Mar 02, 2009, 08:32 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygee
Sorry for the late reply, cause im not very familiar with the forum functions.
Yes, i m working for Jalin who is a smart and competent boss.
bet you are more of an expert on RC models than we are. really need your help later.

Hi lucygee...

The AMX is a very good looking model and I am happy to see the ESC has been upgraded to 30A and you have included a pilot figure as well!

Thanks for what you do for our hobby...

B
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Mar 02, 2009, 09:17 PM
lucygee
Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China
Joined Feb 2009
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadClams
Hi lucygee...

The AMX is a very good looking model and I am happy to see the ESC has been upgraded to 30A and you have included a pilot figure as well!

Thanks for what you do for our hobby...

B
Thanks for your focus on our products. If you guys have any problems or suggestions on our planes and have any idea of a new edf planes, plz let us know. thanks again. im off work now. catch u later.
lucygee is offline Find More Posts by lucygee
Old Mar 05, 2009, 04:25 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,888 Posts
Received my airframe only version today. The outside of the box scared me as it showed a washed-out grey version. I nervously took the cover off and found a nicely-painted airplane underneath. Can't wait to get started.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 05, 2009, 06:18 PM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
OOOOOPS I broke the shaft on my little screamer motor. Just got it today now what do I do call hobby-lobby?

I need a replacement shaft hope they carry them. And what do you call the thing on the end of the shaft that the fan screws in to I need one of those too.

I was hopping to put the little screamer in my AMX tonight but now it looks like a week or two down the road.

pulled the EDF out of my AMX took out the old outrunner and a friend of mine brakes the motor shaft so I put it all back I donít even know how that happened.................. oh well all I need now is a new motor shaft and a NEW FRIEND...lol

John
big-john-52 is offline Find More Posts by big-john-52
Last edited by big-john-52; Mar 05, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 08:06 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,888 Posts
Jon, how do you attach the fan lug to the motor? I'm assuming with some Loc-Tite? Would "Blue" hold it in place OK, is "Red" necessary to hold it on? Also, did you open any cooling holes for the battery compartment?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 08:25 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
Mike, mine came out of the box already assembled? I typically usea wee drop of red loctite. A TINY drop!

NO cooling holes opened on either of my AMXs but then I fly semi-conservatively. I never stay at WOT for for more than 10-15 seconds and then I cruise around for 30 seconds or so before hitting it again!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:01 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,888 Posts
Thanks for the reply Jon; I'll use a tiny tiny drop of red so I can remove it if need be. I know you have tried both a 3s and 4s setup; is the 4s too heavy for this airframe? The whole reason why I got this plane is to replace my L-39 which is too heavy with the 4s battery. The AMX is a bigger airframe and should carry the weight with no problems, at least that's my theory.

So it really does fly well with a 3s setup, eh? Your video shows blistering performance with the 4s setup but I worry if my 4s 2500 mAh pack is too heavy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:05 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
I think it flies quite nicely out of the box with the stock setup BUT others don't feel the same? We all have our opinions, eh!?

As you probably know, I also fly my L39 on 4S and I personally don't think it is too heavy? I am amazed at how easy it is to launch and land. Both of these airframes do very well on a 4S setup in fact.

My 4S batteries range in size and weight but the best 4S battery I am running right now is a new Thunder Power ProPower 30C 2250 4S. INSANE power out of that bad boy!

Thunder Power is coming out with a 1800 4S pack in the ProPower series soon. I am anxious to try it, as it should be able to keep my 4S power system happy and drop a little weight over the 2250? BUT, even with the 2250, the AMX flies very nicely, with no bad tendencies on either launch or landing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:27 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,888 Posts
There's no doubt that the L-39 is easy to hand launch with the 4s setup. And actually it does fly fine; it just lands a little heavy and that takes some getting used to. I wanted a bigger airframe for the same power system and the AMX sure is beautiful and different. Shouldn't take long to put it together.

I plan to use the 24-45-3790 on the JPower fan. I will have to do some amp tests to see what they are on 3s and 4s. I understand that my amp draw will be higher from the L-39 as the JPower fan is bigger. On 3s, as long as the amps are below 31 I'll be fine as that's all my 1550 pack is rated for. On 4s, the amps will hopefully be below 40 as that's all my ESC is rated for. I'm not holding my breath but I can at least hope!

In your 4s video, you used the Hoffman Magnetics Mighty Mite 60mm EDF motor. Was that mated to the stock fan? That's why I was asking about the Loc-Tite.... wasn't sure how you attached it to the fan lug or if it was a different fan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:33 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,712 Posts
Nah, I used the Alfa 60/25 fan. I assembled it pretty much the same as any other power system in this size and class that I have done? Which is my way of saying that at the moment, the details escape me!?

I would like to experiment a little with the JPower fan and maybe try 4S on the JPower motor too?

I just received the JPower F5 from HL as a review project. The ARF comes in a very advanced state of preassembly ... can you say, just glue the vertical stab and nose cone on and let her rip?

Hobby Lobby has a great thing going with these JPower birds IMHO. And the way they offer a hotter EDF power system right on their web site is also great, if folks want to hop them up. Plus they offer airframe only versions now too? Good job HL folks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2009, 10:59 AM
NTSB most wanted
O-Town, FL
Joined Jun 2003
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Nah, I used the Alfa 60/25 fan. I assembled it pretty much the same as any other power system in this size and class that I have done? Which is my way of saying that at the moment, the details escape me!?

I would like to experiment a little with the JPower fan and maybe try 4S on the JPower motor too?

I just received the JPower F5 from HL as a review project. The ARF comes in a very advanced state of preassembly ... can you say, just glue the vertical stab and nose cone on and let her rip?

Hobby Lobby has a great thing going with these JPower birds IMHO. And the way they offer a hotter EDF power system right on their web site is also great, if folks want to hop them up. Plus they offer airframe only versions now too? Good job HL folks!

Where do you see the "hotter EDF power system..."? Are you referring to their EDF parts or is there some link with each jet for an optional "hop-up" power system?
EzEd is offline Find More Posts by EzEd
Old Mar 06, 2009, 06:42 PM
fly it like you stole it
near Springfield Il
Joined Apr 2003
223 Posts
Finished and maidened this afternoon. Was lucky with decent weather. It flew well and looks great in the air. Was not too fast with my hopped up power system. I would estimate around 70. The same system [Don's wicked on a 5 blade Alfa] flies a Alfa Mig in the 90's. I glassed the bottom and was able to ROG and keep both hands on the transmitter for the maiden. She is a keeper. Very happy with this bird.
invertman is offline Find More Posts by invertman
Old Mar 06, 2009, 09:40 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,158 Posts
The Alfas are much cleaner kits aerodynamically. A lot if these new EDF kits have thick trailing edges and slow the models down. I do not have the AMX but you may want to check the stock exit diameter and see if it is the correct size, You want a 1.8" exit diameter for the Alfa fan.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member