HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:26 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,530 Posts
I have a feeling that my poor L-39 won't be around much longer. I'm wondering if the GP Amm 24-45-3790 will fit in the fan that comes with the AMX airframe only? I'm thinking of moving my power system (40A ESC, 24-45-3790 motor) from the L-39 to the AMX. Will it fit? Or will I need an adapter for the fan? I plan to fly it on a 4s 2500 mAh pack.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mike_Then; Feb 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Amoo!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2009, 09:37 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
Here is a link to a cool AMX vid I just edited today ...

AMX
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite Allusive 2.2M
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:53 AM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Stuff the battery wires/connectors down into the hole at the front of the battery compartment, the one that the battery power lead comes up through.
I know thats where they get routed, but my problem is that where the leads immediately come off the battery pack are sticking up straight toward the top/canopy and cannot be bent enough to have them clear the underside of the canopy so it can close. See my pics....

Are your batteries different from mine????
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Mar 01, 2009, 04:55 AM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertman
I just started working on the airframe only kit and have one question as it came with no instructions. What is the recommended CG? I'm using Don's motor and Alfa EDF out of a crashed F-16. It looks like the nose cone from the F 16 is a perfect fit. It may help with not so perfect landings. I may WBPU and glass the belly also.
Manual states 65 - 70 mm back from where the leading edge of the wing meets the fuse.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 06:42 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,530 Posts
Good deal Jon, nice video! That thing just flat-out hauls! I think my favorite part of the video is the camera operator whispering *nice!* after a high-speed pass...

I checked out the motor and the Ammo motor I have is the same shaft size, so I think I'm set there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:55 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
BC, I don't exactly remember what I did to solve that little problem but it was but a small bump in the road to getting her airborne?

1) You can carefully bend them downward a little. You won't hurt them if you are just a wee bit careful.
2) You can remove a little foam from the cockpit and/or canopy

I think I must have went with #1 because I did not remove material. I'll try and take a photo in a bit if it will help?

Now, go back and watch my video a few posts back. I have a TP PP 2250 4S stuffed in that one. I had to remove dome foam bu the AMX has plenty of room to make a larger battery fit. It should be a piece of cake to solve your little problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 08:59 AM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
[QUOTE]I know thats where they get routed, but my problem is that where the leads immediately come off the battery pack are sticking up straight toward the top/canopy and cannot be bent enough to have them clear the underside of the canopy so it can close. See my pics....

Are your batteries different from mine????

Badclams mine did the same thing I cut out the fornt foam bulkhead then took a

razer knife and cut down the sides of the bottum battery tray back about 1 1/2in and

pushed the front of the battery tray down a little and reglued it in place that allso

made it so I can fit a 1500mah battery in the tray.
big-john-52 is offline Find More Posts by big-john-52
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:57 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,530 Posts
I'm not afraid to hog out foam, cause I know I'll have to do that to make my 4s 2500 mAh pack fit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2009, 09:58 AM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Alrighty then!

Now I'm not so worried about cutting knowing this is "standard procedure". Sounds like CG doesn't suffer when adjusting the stock batt. location (since the location seems specifically shaped to fit the 1300 mAh that comes with it). Just wanted to make sure before messing with it as I'll admit I'm a little surprised that the stock setup needs to be manipulated at all!!!
Old Mar 01, 2009, 05:54 PM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
Badclams I just got home and looked through the AMX operating manual and you were

right no throws were given. I must have seen it in here some where. I have mine set

at 1/4in high rates and 1/8in low rates on every thing and it was ok I used low rates

most of the time.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 11:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-john-52
Badclams I just got home and looked through the AMX operating manual and you were

right no throws were given. I must have seen it in here some where. I have mine set

at 1/4in high rates and 1/8in low rates on every thing and it was ok I used low rates

most of the time.

Copy that...

Balled her up on the maiden today....bad...

Think my throws were WAY TOO HIGH. Self-launched maybe(?) a bit too slow with full throttle. Began with a slight settle (to ~4 feet) and some left wing down. Added right aileron and SNAP...big right wing down (appeared to be ~ 60 or more degrees?) so added left stick.....SNAP (with slight climb) back hard left. Ended up stalling out coming almost back at me, piling it in nose first.

Lots of pieces on the ground/smashed back to forward battery wall. Pilot safely ejected. Battery ok. All else pretty much perfect and electronics appear unscathed. This ugly SOB will fly again!!! (Already finished playing jigsaw puzzle and high on epoxy, but its done).

Whatta bummer....I've dumbed down my throws and taken out the expo (had some dialed in for the crash, but I'd never tried it before....now I'm eliminating variables for maiden #2).

Today sucked.

Clams out.
Old Mar 01, 2009, 11:41 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
BC,

Bummer to hear that it didn't work out so well.

Perhaps get a chum to launch it for you next time, preferably somebody with a tiny bit of experience in hand launching? If you watch in my videos, I always launch with my left hand, though I am right handed? Awkward feeling, yes, at first BUT it lets you keep the right hand on the most important stick on your radio and immediately correct the plane if necessary? Toss it with the right hand and there is a short lapse until you can get that right stick in your fingers .. and it is often just enough time for really bad things to happen?

On an EDF, you should almost always go with full throttle, as there are really no downsides to it (unlike a prop plane which may have too much torque if you hand launch at full throttle) and launch at a shallow angle, into the wind. The AMX is really well behaved compared to some. Expo is not a bad thing really, as I usually run at least 30-40% on all of my planes? I suppose if you weren't used to it it may feel a little different but I don't think it would cause a crash? Turning the throws down for the next effort is probably a good idea.

FWIW, when I maidened my Mig 15 a few years back, I totally wadded it up on the first take off. And Alfa jets don't take too much abuse. I was able to fix it and it flies to this day but it is a little Frankensteinian looking! HL sells replacement parts for the AMX, at least they did last time I checked? Get her flying and then if you really need or want to, you can clean her back up a little with new parts or another airframe?

Hang in there man!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:00 AM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
Hay man I hate it when that happens to me or any one else.

I have a bad sholder so no left hand launch for me most times I get a buddy to help,

but some times I toss right handed just because I dont trust most of the

ejecks at the feild....lol. there is -expo and +expo make sure you use the

right one I dont use ether because on some radios what I won't is called

- and on some radios its called +

I need to get my dx6 owners manual out and read for a long time .

Best of luck on next flite

John
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:02 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,600 Posts
FWIW, the expo you want on Spektrum transmitters is +. I am positive!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:04 AM
big-john-52
Tyler Texas
Joined Feb 2005
376 Posts
thanks its too late to read tonight any way....lol