HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:32 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
I agree that the stock components are worthy of consideration. Especially if you want an all around great flying trunk jet! ( I think you just coined a new phrase with that one!?<G>) I think the stock power system is good for 65 to 70 but yet it is so light that you can launch and land with ease.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:49 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Thanks guys. I guess they fixed the servo issues fairly quickly from the original few I saw in the threads with issues. I was just pricing out 40 or 60 plush ESC's and cheap HXT servos. Its a tough choice with an extra $40-50 or so for 'quality' aftermarket products. The only thing I am thinking is that if I upgrade, I will end up with yet another set of electronics from an arf (I have 2 sets that I doubt I will ever have a use for already from crash-and-burns).

I just wish they would 'amp up' ARF's a bit more for the price difference we would still buy them rather then using bare minimums. Most of the ones I see would be so much better if they stepped up the ESC's or servos or batteries just ONE more 'notch'...The two Parkzone planes I have have been nothing but excellent with very good components, and I haven't had a single reason to worry about reliability nor feel compelled to change anything. Makes me a little nuts, do I order the ARF version just one more time...
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 17, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:58 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Thanks guys. I guess they fixed the servo issues fairly quickly from the original few I saw in the threads with issues. I was just pricing out 40 or 60 plush ESC's and cheap HXT servos. Its a tough choice with an extra $40-50 or so for 'quality' aftermarket products. The only thing I am thinking is that if I upgrade, I will end up with yet another set of electronics from an arf (I have 2 sets that I doubt I will ever have a use for already from crash-and-burns).

I just wish they would 'amp up' ARF's a bit more for the price difference we would still buy them rather then using bare minimums. Most of the ones I see would be so much better if they stepped up the ESC's or servos or batteries just ONE more 'notch'...The two Parkzone planes I have have been nothing but excellent with very good components, and I haven't had a single reason to worry about reliability nor feel compelled to change anything. Makes me a little nuts, do I order the ARF version just one more time...
Guess it all depends on the performance you're looking for! So what ARE you looking for? There's enough of us here to give you an idea of what to expect if you get spefcific...
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:33 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I was thinking for dead-nuts reliable, expandable, and reusable electronics that can find a home in other aircraft down the road.

Something like

Turnigy plush 60A
HXT 9g's
3c 1550 25C's and/or 4c 1750 20C's

The airframe and this stuff is about the same as the ARF(ordering the 'factory' motor replacement with the airframe)

It's probably going to be the AMX or Starmax Panther, but they force you to buy that as an ARF. I could stay 3c with that and just swap out to the electrifly 25A from my deceased L-39...And of course, there is always the Alfa A4
Last edited by kevinb120; Jun 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
No...you can get any of the HL J-Power jets as "Airframe Only" kits; I have another F-4 and the F-18 on order now...
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:08 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,621 Posts
AMX Airframe only from Hobby Lobby $69.90
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:42 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
I was referring to the Starmax Panther. I really want that one too, but not as an ARF.

Ugh, the more I look at this stuff the harder it gets to settle on something...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb120
I was referring to the Starmax Panther. I really want that one too, but not as an ARF.

Ugh, the more I look at this stuff the harder it gets to settle on something...
Ok...now ur just getting flaky!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Heh, I ordered the HP F-16 and the Morgan mill goodies Figured it's a safe bet
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:53 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,371 Posts
A suggestion- I installed most of the components on this plane using the included glue, but not for the wings. The wings were far too weak. My suggestion- buy some matching paint and use Sumo Glue. I can hold my plane by an area about 4 inches in from either wingtip without breaking the glue. resilient aircraft. going to do a demonstration at an electric flight show.
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:36 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,371 Posts
I am flying my amx for the first time tomorrow, Are their any tips i should know about the plane?
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:10 AM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-29er
I am flying my amx for the first time tomorrow, Are their any tips i should know about the plane?

Keep control throws low(ish) as its VERY nimble! Dial in some expo if you have it available. CG as per manual is just fine. Launch is a snap! Just a slight up angle to the toss is all you need and it tracks out straight as an arrow. Also resist the urge to do slow/low power turns as it doesn't tell you the stall is coming at all! (try this with plenty of altitude and feel it out!) Also, even though its colorful, orientation can be tricky depending on the lighting and it can get small fast!

Please post your thoughts on this bird later and good luck! We can talk about the mini F4 next!!!

B
Old Jul 11, 2009, 02:21 PM
USA, CA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2006
139 Posts
can the GWS BLM005A(20 mm diameter can, 3900kv, 2mm shaft diameter) be used to power this edf? The motor should fit the fan perfectly and the kv value matches the factory version according to this post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=29
The only difference is according to GWS website, the BLM005A motor running on 3 cells on the GWS 64mm edf only produced 301grams of thrust while the J-power AMX is claimed to produce 550-580 grams of thrust?
I'm thinking of getting the airframe only version and building it up since it would be a considerable discount from the ARF version(I already have the motor and esc and servos, etc)
Also, according to the post linked above, the motor shaft is 2mm but I think Don mentioned that it is 2.3mm?
Sorry about all these questions...this will be my first EDF and I have no idea how everything works yet.
pwu_1 is offline Find More Posts by pwu_1
Old Jul 11, 2009, 05:21 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
That motor in a GWS EDF64 will produce near on 600 grams of thrust for under 20 amps on 4S.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:13 PM
USA, CA, Dublin
Joined Jul 2006
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub
That motor in a GWS EDF64 will produce near on 600 grams of thrust for under 20 amps on 4S.
Right, but Jpower is claiming their motor produces almost the same amount of thrust on 3 cell!
I guess my real question is, if the GWS motor produces roughly 300 grams of thrust on 3 cell, will that be enough to fly the AMX?
pwu_1 is offline Find More Posts by pwu_1