HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then
I would assume you'd need a fuselage kit... does Hobby Lobby sell parts? Mine fell off the workbench before any construction began, and dinged the nose but it's hardly noticeable.
Kinda odd that they sell all the individual bits....cuz once they're glued, you're "screwed". Sort of an all-or-nothing proposition isn't it?
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:07 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,701 Posts
They used to sell just the fuselage...can't find it on the new web site though.

Probably nothing a quick call to them via the old fashioned land-line wouldn't solve?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:22 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Finaly got a chance to mount the motor in the fan yesterday. Had to do a little scrubbing at low RPM but the fan is surprisingly smooth at high RPM. My numbers show 25A on 3s, and 41A on 4s.

I was pleasantly surprised the fan hatch is held in by screws! Does everyone else use this method? My kit didn't come with screws that appear long enough, but some servo screws seemed to do the trick. I'll still secure the fan with a little epoxy/hot glue, but the hatch should be fine with screws.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Repairing the T-28... again
Old Mar 28, 2009, 11:01 AM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
They used to sell just the fuselage...can't find it on the new web site though.

Probably nothing a quick call to them via the old fashioned land-line wouldn't solve?

But then you snap off the wings and vertical and elevators??? Don't think that would be viable. I don't get what selling the pieces individually gets you...
Old Mar 29, 2009, 12:58 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Just finished mine; gonna head to the field and see if I can put the maiden flight on it. It's very windy today after all-day storms yesterday, but we're hoping for it to calm down atound 5:00 - 6:00 PM. We'll see what happens and I'll report back here!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2009, 01:53 PM
Murrieta Ca
Joined Aug 2005
73 Posts
Amx

Just maidened mine this weekend. Really fast! The colors scheme makes it hard to see in bright sunlight. At half throttle I would say it was running around 50. Watch your control throws also. Unfortunately I lost my orientation and tip stalled it into the ground on the third pass. No biggie I have a F5 on it's way! Great workmanship
mikec456 is offline Find More Posts by mikec456
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:26 PM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec456
Just maidened mine this weekend. Really fast! The colors scheme makes it hard to see in bright sunlight. At half throttle I would say it was running around 50. Watch your control throws also. Unfortunately I lost my orientation and tip stalled it into the ground on the third pass. No biggie I have a F5 on it's way! Great workmanship
I agree about the throws...keep 'em small and use 30-40 expo if you have it. Also, keep power into the turns or you may see yourself stall out if you're just cruising 1/2 throttle and then start to pull it around...

Love this little thing though....
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Compared to mini F-4??

Anyone have thoughts/experience with both AMX and mini F-4?

I'm thinkin' bout that one now...
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:30 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,701 Posts
In the review of the F4 here on RCG/Ezone, I thought it looked pretty comparable performance wise? It should be pretty close, as it is essentially the same power system and I think teh airframe is as similar size too?

Arron did a good job on the review and the video ... check it out if you haven't already?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2009, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
In the review of the F4 here on RCG/Ezone, I thought it looked pretty comparable performance wise? It should be pretty close, as it is essentially the same power system and I think teh airframe is as similar size too?

Arron did a good job on the review and the video ... check it out if you haven't already?
Oh...I've read it plenty; I expect it would be close, but the devil is in the details...The F-4 shows ~ a half ounce lighter and has an extra 3 Sq inches of wing area, while on a smaller airframe. I'm figuring its a long shot, but I'm looking for anyone with first-hand experience with them both to offer some thoughts.
Last edited by BadClams; Apr 04, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:58 PM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Winds never stopped blowing below 30 MPH today; the maiden will have to wait for another day.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:33 PM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Winds never stopped blowing below 30 MPH today; the maiden will have to wait for another day.
A safe choice!!! Too bad, though; I enjoy reading others flight reports to compare to my own...
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:38 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
It will fly soon enough. This will give me a chance to change a few things about the airplane though... I had to do some funky bends in the elevator pushrod wires to get them to attach to the control horn straight. One side wobbles a bit so I may check my spare parts to see if I can replace it with a better-quality clevis. Also, I had to hog out a massive amount of foam inside the airplane to fit my 4s 2500 mAh battery, and even then it's still a little nose-heavy. The battery is barely attached inside the fuse so I may rework that a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
It will fly soon enough. This will give me a chance to change a few things about the airplane though... I had to do some funky bends in the elevator pushrod wires to get them to attach to the control horn straight. One side wobbles a bit so I may check my spare parts to see if I can replace it with a better-quality clevis. Also, I had to hog out a massive amount of foam inside the airplane to fit my 4s 2500 mAh battery, and even then it's still a little nose-heavy. The battery is barely attached inside the fuse so I may rework that a bit.

Holy Hot Rod, Batman!
Old Apr 06, 2009, 08:07 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,873 Posts
Maiden flight yesterday was a huge success! The AMX only needed a click or two of trim and it was flying stright and level. I'm surprised at how smooth the JPower fan is, especially since it required a fair amount of 'scrubbing' when first assembled. A fried took some Doppler readings; 86 MPH upwind and 96 MPH downwind (we were fighting some wicked crosswinds most of the day). I'll split the different and say it's a 90 MPH jet. It would probably be even faster with a higher-quality battery. Amp tests show 41A on a fresh battery.

JPower 64mm stock fan
Don's Wicked EDF 4000kV
Don's Pentium-40 ESC
Hyperion 4s 2500 'CX' 18C lipo

Even though the Hyperion battery doesn't hold it's voltage under load like my MaxAmps packs, I am impressed at how it doesn't get too blazing hot in the cockpit of the AMX... especially since I didn't cut any ventilation holes yet. The battery is warm, but not too hot to hold. I've taken the pack down to 14.3v twice and replaced around 2200 mAh into it, but it continues to perform well. I'm also saving WOT for high-speed passes and in short bursts; the rest of the time I'm at 1/2 throttle and the plane scoots along just fine. Flight times are around 6 minutes.

Oh yeah, and it will ROG (rise off grass) with no problems!
RCG Plus Member