SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:22 AM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
433 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the matching paints! As for power I hear the stock motor is OK, make sure you have a healthy battery to power her. I'd say the 1800 should work better, if it's a 20c discharge you'll have more power. I'm gathering components for mine right now and will probably start building her within the next few weeks. I'm going with the Dons RC Wicked 4800 motor.
When are we going to hear a report from Tommy D with his Wicked setup?
Aerobatman is online now Find More Posts by Aerobatman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
I tested the 1800 and there is considerably more power. My 3s-1345 EVO has gone downhill. Was a good batt, but I believe running in a 2025-5300 EDF55 setup was too hard on it. Since it already flew, but weak, it should be fine now. The 1800 slides in just fine, with a wedge made from GWS rubber foam packaging from their receiver boxes. Push the wedge firmly in place between the batt and the bottom of the compartment, and it stays put. The batt needs to be placed rearward a ways now, to set the CG.

I had seen someone add an exit cone on this jet, which seems like a good idea. I haven't looked through the posts, but wonder what the consensus on this is. 60mm is a large exit for a 64mm fan. I generally see them between 52 and 55mm, so I added one with a 55mm exit to be conservative. Didn't actually test it on the scale, but seems better just in hand. Either way, much better with a decent batt now. It's temporarily clear taped in place inside the duct, so it can easily be removed and won't be glued in unless I decide to use it permanently.

Tommy I have a Wicked 4800 in another EDF64 jet. I'm sure it will do well, but may not be absolutely ballistic, as I'm starting to believe that with the high kv, it's almost as good in a 55mm fan. I'd like to know what folks think is the optimum size fan for the Wicked 4800.
Get yours flying, you'll like it. Mine flew well for barely staying in the air. Wouldn't have expected it to be stable at stall speed, considering it's weight and stubby wings. Looking forward to flying it again, now that I have the power problem sorted out.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Mar 22, 2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:48 AM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Are my eyes tricking me or do I see an EDF powered FW?
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Mar 22, 2009, 12:16 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB
Are my eyes tricking me or do I see an EDF powered FW?
It's a 190TL. The Germans didn't fly it as far as I know, but they built it. It was a canned project where they were going to fly FW190s with turbines, using exhausts on the sides and on the bottom.
The GWS version flys well with an Align 430L/EDF75. It really wasn't that tough to build either.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:14 PM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Wow man, that is really cool and something different. I'd love to see video of yours flying.
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:58 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB
Wow man, that is really cool and something different. I'd love to see video of yours flying.
I had a short clip of it taking off and going down the field, but my camera deleted it when trying to transfer. I have now figured out that it needed a memory card to go to first, and then to the computer. I can take them now that I have the card, so I'll have to take a short clip. It's not fast but flys well and can be handlaunched. Flies like a brushed prop job, but not bad. The only difference it that it required a further forward CG. I assume it is due to the effect of the bottom thrust outlet.

Edit:
Finally got a good flight out of the Salamander today. Actually a really nice flyer. Buddy took analog video, and needs to convert it to disk for me. Now I can mention that it is an RC Castle kit version, with their Cyclone outrunner in a GWS EDF64. With an EVO 3s-1800, it handlaunched easily and had more than ample power, flying at a bit over half throttle. No need for an upgrade unless you really want fast. Trimming the batt compartment foam to meet the plastic box frame where it meets the opening going down the fuse, will enable an EVO 3s-1800 or probably a 3s-2100 PL to slide right in. I tied a piece of rubber foam to the battery door, which is used as a shim to hold the battery in place to prevent sliding.

I didn't try anything other than flying it, after the first flight. The banking really isn't that bad either. I didn't have expo, but with enough expo, I'd say it flys easily enough to be a good first EDF. Like most EDFs, I wouldn't put it into too steep of a dive, as the pull out is only so good. Still had to fix a darn wingtip, as I tried to get too slow on landing in a headwind. Nice clean break though, so a clean repair.
Last edited by WTFLYR; Mar 23, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:24 AM
Spain
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
HELLo Everybody.
I just buy a HE 162 from starmax, I just started the contruction but with some modifications. I added a 5mm cf wing spar and modify the battery comparment to put in it a 2200 25 C lipo. Ill mantain the stock power unit and lets see whats happen.
Someone could tell me the correct CG and controls deflections.

Thanks!!
jet A is offline Find More Posts by jet A
Old Apr 03, 2009, 01:50 PM
Spain
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Hello again.
I just made the maiden flight.Every thing were right , I like this plane, looks really nice in the air. The only problem is the nasty nose gear, it,s bens really easy an the control is very bad. I attatch some pics.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:03 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet A
Hello again.
I just made the maiden flight.Every thing were right , I like this plane, looks really nice in the air. The only problem is the nasty nose gear, it,s bens really easy an the control is very bad. I attatch some pics.
Good that it went well for you. I built mine as a kit, and the nosegear linkage left something to be desired. The linkage rod has bends, since the servo is higher than the steering arm. I lowered the servo arm a bit to lessen this offset. The provided pivot link was sloppy too, which was corrected by tightening the set nut a bit, and then adding a drop of CA to keep it from backing off. All in all, I'm glad I bought the kit version, which allowed for enhancements.

I ran CF rods straight through both wing panels, by sharpening to a point. They connect in the center with a doubled section of aluminum tubing. The wings definitely need some strengthening like this, versus the unreinforced stock build.

If you haven't done it, you may want to insert a CF rod with epoxy through the tail section, as shown in the last pic. Should be easy to do with the plane assembled, by inserting a glue covered CF rod sharpened to a point, moving it back and forth a few times to push the glue in the hole made by the rod.
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:10 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerobatman
When are we going to hear a report from Tommy D with his Wicked setup?
I would like to know as well
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
You guys have every right to wonder and be down-right angry.

Truth is the weather here in NY was awful this winter. Forget taking photos, or much less flying. I did 1 review for RC Groups and the gray photos were awful.

The HE-162 deserves much more. The article is written <the one for HL's stock version>. The model has been modded <spar> and an additional pod with Don's power plant is ready to go.

All I ask for is a little more time. I need in flight video and photos to complete and submit it to RC Groups.

My apologies to all, especially you Don.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:46 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
You guys have every right to wonder and be down-right angry.

Truth is the weather here in NY was awful this winter. Forget taking photos, or much less flying. I did 1 review for RC Groups and the gray photos were awful.

The HE-162 deserves much more. The article is written <the one for HL's stock version>. The model has been modded <spar> and an additional pod with Don's power plant is ready to go.

All I ask for is a little more time. I need in flight video and photos to complete and submit it to RC Groups.

My apologies to all, especially you Don.

Tommy D
Good to hear you flew it and all in 1 piece Tommy. My first flight was not the greatest, due to a less that par batt. Flew the second time with EVO 3s-1800 and what impressed me was not only that it is a good flyer, but how fast it is. I don't have the world's most powerful setup with the RC Castle outrunner, but the airframe seems pretty sleek, considering.

So you did the outlet cone mod? (saw the word pod in there) The stock size seems pretty large, and downsizing to 52mm probably helped with mine also.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 02:07 PM
Spain
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Hello.
I recorded yesterday two videos, Im sorry but I cant insert the links, but if you set in youtube He162 Salamander Cerceda you can see it.
Of course I had problems with the nose landing gear, when I have time I will fix the problem.
I also ran a cf tube in the tail cone as 3mm cf rod in both tail feathers. I had no problems about stability, it flies where you point it.
I set the CG at 142mm from nose and it looks ok.
Enjoy the videos
Old Apr 04, 2009, 04:51 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet A
Hello.
I recorded yesterday two videos, Im sorry but I cant insert the links, but if you set in youtube He162 Salamander Cerceda you can see it.
Of course I had problems with the nose landing gear, when I have time I will fix the problem.
I also ran a cf tube in the tail cone as 3mm cf rod in both tail feathers. I had no problems about stability, it flies where you point it.
I set the CG at 142mm from nose and it looks ok.
Enjoy the videos
Good video Jet A,

Nice flying field too.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Apr 05, 2009, 01:13 PM
Spain
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
The field is in the north of Spain. We have a 250m tarmac strip, is a nice place for flyning.