HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:10 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riechsoldier1
Your lucky if you recieved the he162 already, because i ordered one and another plane from pw-rc back on 12/16 and still have not got it yet, i thought paying 40$ for shipping was alot, maybe i should've paid more to get it here(US) sooner!
Wow, $40.00 for shipping? I got mine from Hobby Lobby and it arrived three days after I placed the order. Shipping was $7.00.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:09 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Switzerland, ZH, Dietikon
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Hi Folks! Finally, I got the maiden done...

You were all right, the "cornering behaviour" of the Salamander is kinda strange. It sort of falls into the corner, but once kept in a certain degree of bank, it tracks OK.

It's not blistering fast on the NEU 1105 / Vasa65 / 4s setup, but it's got enough oomph to climb around 45 which is scale enough for me (I doubt that the real one could climb so steep). I might experiment with a smaller jet nozzle for more speed in the future!

Landing on snow was easy and no fins or other body parts were harmed during the process.

I like it...

Best regards - Paco
RoverTomcat is offline Find More Posts by RoverTomcat
Old Jan 05, 2009, 02:53 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2008
88 Posts
I crashed my He-162 a while back and I am using the electronics for another model. How do you take the motor out of the Ducted Fan. I unscrewed the screw in the very center of the fan, but couldn't get the motor out. How do you do this.
clayb62 is offline Find More Posts by clayb62
Old Jan 05, 2009, 05:59 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
Wow, a lot of these Salamanders have crashed, you need to have your act together when you fly one. Congratulations Paco! Sorry it's not faster on 4s. My paper cup exhaust is about 52 mm at the aft end and I noticed a definite increase in speed but some loss in climb thrust, and I needed to make my loops smaller or else it would hang vertically and start a tail slide. TDEARTH, don't be put off by the cheap Chineese look of the RTF- PNP 1300 lipo. It has good duration and enough C capability for the HE162. Two of us on this thread have puffed TP 1320s. Even though not labled I think the C rating must be higher than the TPs. TP 2100s are the best though. I will do my second maiden with just the stock exhaust outlet so it will accelerate faster and hopefully not crash on my hand launch without gear. I Just got my Jeti ECO 25 so I need to get back to work on it.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Last edited by merlinfan; Jan 05, 2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 07:50 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,422 Posts
i just got mine today (airframe from pw-rc). it's a beautiful kit, but it's way down on the list so i think i am going to try to sell it and use the money for another model i have been looking at. the parts are all still wrapped up, send me an email if interested! rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Jan 05, 2009, 08:17 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
I bought mine with all the gear just because I got it during Hobby Lobbies
Thanksgiving sale at a price I couldn't pass up.
The electronics are kind of worthless though. The rx did not even work so I replaced it with one of mine. One fo the aileron servos only ran one direction and then wouldn't go back the other direction, so I replaced both of them with HS 65s.
I probably won't even use the battery that came with it. I am going to try TP 1320s. So the RTF version is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

Oh well, considering the price that I got it for, most of the stuff that I won't use was free anyway.

Tim
I'm feeling even better yet that I paid $165 shipped from RCCastle for the kit version with only a bl outrunner. Confirms what I've been saying that the gear is 3 dollar Hobby City servos (HEXtronics at best) and Super Simple ESCs from HC. I wouldn't even want to take the stuff out and put in an old GWS Beaver to give to someone. Even if I were giving a plane away, I wouldn't want to stick them with that stuff.
As for all the best stuff, they should be ashamed to sell these packages with such low grade electronics. Makes them no different than Nitroplanes, BH, or HC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan
Wow, a lot of these Salamanders have crashed, you need to have your act together when you fly one.
I think you're onto the same thing as I am. It doesn't have a darn thing to do with the poor plane. Maybe gear failure in a few instances, but in most instances it's the most obvious cause.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Last edited by WTFLYR; Jan 05, 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jan 06, 2009, 01:11 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
I got mine minus RX TX for $199 plus 20% off from a Hobby Lobby sale and 8.99 shipping. I agree that the servos are crap at best. Poor resolution and centering. Just like the gear in the Art-tech SU27. So far only the nosewheel servo has died. Even with good Hitec servos this plane would be a handful in the roll axis.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Jan 06, 2009, 01:59 PM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Is it the weight of the nacelle way up high or is the wing shape thats causing this roll axis issue?
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:37 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB
Is it the weight of the nacelle way up high or is the wing shape thats causing this roll axis issue?
I have yet to fly mine, but given that rearward swept delta wings provide stability, I would imagine that this forward swept wing with a straight LE may be the opposite. Probably was designed to turn hard and easily. I woudn't think the high weight would be that bad. I just built a Feigao powered EDF30 version with a Cox 190 wing. Very stable easy flyer with a bit of an off-scale wing cheat. There's a flight picture I took while flying, but the plane's a spec. I'll admit the Stamax is so pretty that I've been HQing it for the time, but I've flown so much heavier scratch build jets at the same size that it should be easy in comparison.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Jan 06, 2009, 06:17 PM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Nice looking plane WTFLYR,
I suspect that the stubier wing on the Starmax HE 162 contributes to
the abrupt roll tendency. Yours has what appears to be a much more
stable wing.

Tim
Old Jan 06, 2009, 06:42 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,770 Posts
On the 162's I have flown I dialed in some expo and took only shallow turns at low alt. Sure it drops some in turns but the roll stability was much better than any flying wing I have piloted.
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Jan 08, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2005
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
Wow, $40.00 for shipping? I got mine from Hobby Lobby and it arrived three days after I placed the order. Shipping was $7.00.

Tim
Hi, $40 is combine shipping for 2 plane , if 40 only for 1 is very expensive or the product is heavy as 3.5kg
CWNG06301 is offline Find More Posts by CWNG06301
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:58 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
Goog Morning Guys!

Also have the Starmax HE-162 here and am doing a Test for a german RC Mag.

We get the "arf" Version here without only the Brushless Motor in it. No RC or anything else.

Just wondering about that Fan: Do you guys glue it to the nacelle or the small piece on the bottom or don't you glue it in at all and it is just held by the force of the nacelle being pressed on the fuse?

Hope I make some sense...

Thanks,
Rev
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
Old Feb 22, 2009, 07:11 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I really can't remember now how I put my fan in.
I will check it and get back.

Tim
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:11 PM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
Thanks Tim, Appreciate it!
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
Last edited by Reverend; Feb 22, 2009 at 01:20 PM.