HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:03 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I just pulled mine out of the box and started it.
The weather is much too crummy to fly, so I might as well build.

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:38 AM
Isaiah 40:31
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2008
88 Posts
I got mine for christmas and on my maiden yesterday I managed to climb to 150 feet before spiraling it down to earth and disentigrating it. It was very sad and I would rebuild if the engine hadn't been smashed. It took off perfectly and the strong wind just got a hold of it.
clayb62 is offline Find More Posts by clayb62
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:48 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
what a bummer.
Merry Christmas.

Tim
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:30 AM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,256 Posts
I wrecked mine the other day. I was about 1000' away laterally flying under
an overcast with some sun glare coming through. I had a loss of orientation and guessed wrong with my next aileron input. Unfortunately I was less than one mistake high at the time. It went in hard on the riverbank that goes around 3 sides of our field. The speed control got wet and fried itself. The right wing broke in 4 places and the left one broke off at the root. Both horizontal stabs broke off at the fuse. My tail repair survived intact. The canopy was shattered and the nose cone was broken in several pieces. The nose wheel servo stripped a gear. Poor Hana Reitsch broke her face off and was then stolen by a little girl who was looking at my collection of wreckage.
I ordered a new Jeti eco speed control on the 20% off sale at HL. Its all back together minus landing gear. I still have to repair one leading edge that is folded like an accordion.
My advice to all you Salamander pilots is: If you fly low keep it in close, it will turn surprisingly tight without snappng out. Do your maiden on a clear day. Add some color if you want better visibility. The Gyro on the roll axis would be a good idea but I don't want to throw anymore money at this plane because i'm not sure how well it will fly after my repairs. If you fly it on 4 cells watch out, it will get small in a hurry. I'll post a pic after i repaint it. Good Luck......
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Jan 03, 2009, 10:49 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I am going to at least put the yellow wing tips on mine like someone else did in this thread.

Sorry about your misshap. It can happen very quickly with these smaller jets.

Tim
Old Jan 03, 2009, 06:39 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
sorry about your crashes, fellows! been there, done that myself....more than a few times. i just destroyed my new starmax f4e (it tucked on me during a turn). i removed the electronics and ordered the he-162 airframe from pw-rc. the post office actually tried to deliver it today, but i was out and it required a signature. should get it monday......and will try to maiden it within a day or two. good info on this thread.......wish me luck! rob
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Last edited by rob737; Jan 03, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:41 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I don't like gluing the canopy on and not being able to get to the steering servo so I made a removable canopy for mine.

First I cut along the canopy indentitation on the fuse with a sharp razor knife.
I cut down at an angle sort of like cutting the top out of a pumpkin so that it will set back in the pumpkin without falling through.

Then I glued the dash piece and the canopy to this foam piece. I glued a short piece of ply at the front that slides under the resulting lip on the fuse and used two rare earth magnets at the back to snap it in place.

Now I can easily remove the canopy to get to the servo to tighten the screw on the control rod, or remove the servo if it fails.

Tim
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:43 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I am going to try the steering set up the way it is for now.
It seems solid enough. But if I have to flip the servo over and use a straight control rod, like silenthunter did, it will be easy to get in to it now.

Tim
Old Jan 04, 2009, 10:57 AM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,256 Posts
I didn't turn my steering servo over I just used a straighter rod with 30 degree bends instead of the 90's. It gave me better centering of the nosewheel, not perfect but improved. I notched out the foam little bit for the pushrod. However next flight will be a handlaunch.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Jan 04, 2009, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
When I saw the loose steering linkage pivot where they had not tightened the nut sufficiently and then glued it in place, I was glad I bought the kit version. There would have been an unacceptable amount of slop from that pivot. I simply tightened the nut to where the pivot was not flopping around and fixed it with thin CA. I routed the pushrod as Merlinfan did, minimizing the offset bend angles.

The weak area in the tail has been pointed out, but the wing attachment is another thing that is borderline. It is not difficult to insert CF rods in the wing cores, after sharpening a point on them. Aim for the corner of servo pocket when inserting so that you can see you are on track as you insert the rod. After this use a doubled over aluminum tube joiner that is inserted in the fuse. The joiner is only needed to join the two CF rods and does not need to be glued in the fuse for strength, as the wing joint will do that sufficiently. The joiner and the rods will provide wings that will not break under any flying conditions and even in a crash, unless really hard.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
wow, a lot of you fellows did some serious mods on this plane. i can't wait to get mine tomorrow and have a look at it!
Old Jan 04, 2009, 08:21 PM
United States, CT, Seymour
Joined Sep 2005
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737
sorry about your crashes, fellows! been there, done that myself....more than a few times. i just destroyed my new starmax f4e (it tucked on me during a turn). i removed the electronics and ordered the he-162 airframe from pw-rc. the post office actually tried to deliver it today, but i was out and it required a signature. should get it monday......and will try to maiden it within a day or two. good info on this thread.......wish me luck! rob

Your lucky if you recieved the he162 already, because i ordered one and another plane from pw-rc back on 12/16 and still have not got it yet, i thought paying 40$ for shipping was alot, maybe i should've paid more to get it here(US) sooner!
riechsoldier1 is offline Find More Posts by riechsoldier1
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:00 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
sorry your planes have not arrived yet! i was starting to get concerned about mine so i entered the tracking site......and found that it was stuck in customs here. that was the last entry as to it's location, but the next day the p.o. tried to deliver it. i'll head to the p.o first thing tomorrow morning and grap it (don't want to risk another failed delivery attempt). but, it still took about two weeks to get here. maybe your's will come soon. what else did you order?
Old Jan 05, 2009, 01:08 AM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
RCCastle took 6 business days if I remember correctly. The outrunner seems to run fine although I had heard of someone getting a bad one. Not uncommon with off-brand motors. They have the absolutely bare kit option also. I haven't read the entire thread but the EDF64 requires only a little foam cutting in the nacelle to use, as it is what the ship with their powered kit version. Of course in buying the option without any gear, I was forced to use decent gear which is not a bad thing. The shipping issues would have convinced me to just go the HL route if I had bought the PNP.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Jan 05, 2009, 04:06 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
I bought mine with all the gear just because I got it during Hobby Lobbies
Thanksgiving sale at a price I couldn't pass up.
The electronics are kind of worthless though. The rx did not even work so I replaced it with one of mine. One fo the aileron servos only ran one direction and then wouldn't go back the other direction, so I replaced both of them with HS 65s.
I probably won't even use the battery that came with it. I am going to try TP 1320s. So the RTF version is kind of a waste of money in my opinion.

Oh well, considering the price that I got it for, most of the stuff that I won't use was free anyway.

Tim