HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:14 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I think I will grab another one of these, and cover it with silkspan. Maybe that will help it stay together better. I really like the unique design of this plane, and after having it defeat me last time, I want another round with it! ------Metalguy
Give the clear packing tape a go. You can paint over it if you like, but I left mine as is. Countless flights and rough landings, and she is still together. I know lots of people support the silkspan/glass cloth covering, but for me, they just turn into flying eggshells, or "crunchies" The tape finish has "give", and adds tremendous strength to foam. I covered my Starmax F22 Raptor in clear tape, and never looked back. It is a PITA to do, but the benefits really pay off after a couple of rough landings
pattern14 is offline Find More Posts by pattern14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:18 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I never had a "landing" with my first one of these, but am determined to make my second be a successful effort.------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:02 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
Just ordered my second try at this model. Hoping it will be a better experience than the first one! ------Metalguy
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:00 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2009
77 Posts
never say never

Good on you for having another go Metalguy. Like my previous posts, I ended up writing my first one off, but knew it had potential. Bit like staying single forever because your first girlfriend was a bitch Get your COG spot on, handlaunch up instead of straight and level into a nice steady breeze (pick your days; patience helps here ), My 2nd He162 is still flying, with the 3rd still in the box unbuilt. If I had a way of packaging my pig headed- ness, I'd send you some, although my wife tells me I have plenty to spare If you have an open space with lots of long grass to absorb "mistakes", that helps too. Let us know how you get on.....good luck
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:02 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I will definately turn the patience up for this one. I flew more in the last year than I have in a long time, so my skills have certainly improved, too. I am not new, just rusty. Been riding motorcycles less recently, and reloading, and flying more. -----Metalguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:58 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I think a lot of my problem was where I was flying. The field is fairly small, and turns must be made right away, and probably not the best situation for a maiden. I also had zero experience with ducted fans, and even though launching this one will be different from the level toss I give mine now, I understand the pause needed for the plane to get up to speed before input....and I just have a lot more time on various aircraft now, so I have a pretty fair chance at success this time. I also think my batteries were not up to the task, so I was getting less thrust than needed, too... I am thinking of forgoing the stock motor and ESC, and using a 4s set up for better power. Think this is a good idea?------Metalguy
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:06 PM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,355 Posts
I'm sure you will tame her this time. Just be aware on the turns, the only weak spot with the stock EDF.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:28 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I just have to wait now....on its way from China. Will the stock motor handle 4s? I know the stock ESC won't.-----Metalguy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:50 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I just answered my own question today. I still have the edf from my departed He-163, and hooked it up to a 4s capable esc, then ran it up. Wow. Great amount of thrust, and I believe this will be one of the first mods the plane will get when it arrives. I shall swap out the esc, and put in a 4s capable unit of around 50 amps, or so. I will also swap out the stock servos, fix the nose gear linkage, and do the normal beef-up of critical areas. I bet she flies well on 4s. ------Metalguy
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:57 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2009
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I just answered my own question today. I still have the edf from my departed He-163, and hooked it up to a 4s capable esc, then ran it up. Wow. Great amount of thrust, and I believe this will be one of the first mods the plane will get when it arrives. I shall swap out the esc, and put in a 4s capable unit of around 50 amps, or so. I will also swap out the stock servos, fix the nose gear linkage, and do the normal beef-up of critical areas. I bet she flies well on 4s. ------Metalguy
have not tried it on 4s, but used one of the the new nanotech high d/c 3s batteries ( 65-130) and she seems to develope good usable power. Not sure how long the OE motor/fan will last with the extra punch from 4s, but I guess you will find out. With the inherant design of this plane, especially the stubby wings, Keeping the weight down is absolutely critical. The wing loading MUST be kept to a minimum, or she really deteriorates in flight behaviour When I was experimenting, i dropped in a GWS 64mm set up, and it produced much better performance. Used it with a 40amp ESC as well to keep things cool. Looking forward to hearing some good news
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:50 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I do think my last He-162 suffered from poor battery performance, too. I was using 1300mah 20c batts, and they were older, too. I now know they weren't up to par, as my nano-tech 45-60c 1300 batts have a lot more whallop. I have used them both in my light version of the HK Me-163, and its like day and night. While it will still fly on the old, low c batts, it is in no way the powerhouse it is on the higher c batts. I did buy some nano-tch 4s 1000 mah batts to see how they do in the new He-162....------Metalguy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:53 AM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
Well. Guess what arrived today? My new He-162! Looks like the usual slight damage, nose, tiny bit on the tail, and T.E of wing roots. Has anyone tried a product called styrospray? I have been reading up on it, and may coat some of the bottom of this with it, to see if it can alleviate some belly rash on landings.--------Metalguy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
4 blades! Scale blades!
Joined Apr 2006
4,355 Posts
Styrospray? Never heard of it. Let us know how it works
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
It appears to be a lightweight coating that folks use on EPS sculpures, to weatherproof, and give them some strength. I will test out the small 2 quart size, and see if it can be feasable to use on models. I am hoping it isn't very heavy. While I don't plan on coating an entire model with the stuff, it could be useful as an abrasion resistant coating for the underside of belly landers.------Metalguy
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:32 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,838 Posts
I may start this build tonight. It is siting in the box, awaiting some attention.-------Metalguy