SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:43 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
If you want a bigger {longer} battery, just cut the 1 plastic slat in the rear wall of the battery compartment, the rest is foam, then just glue in a stop wherever you want, not a big deal

Question IS weight and balance then....

Also remember this plane HAS NO WING SPAR, another though on heavier and faster
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2008, 01:59 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,259 Posts
I maidened my Salamander today. Yep, the nosewheel steering sucks. I'll have to chop off the nose and fix that. As expected its sensitive in roll. What I didn't like was that it took tons of up elevator in turns to hold altitude.
2nd flight used a TP 1320 and puffed it. 3rd flight, found that a Thunder Power Prolite 2100 fits and will slide back all the way till it balances properly. No cutting necesary. I used some foam rubber in the battery compartment to keep it from sliding forward. Now it grooves in the turns and needs much less back presure to make them level. I guess it's becase the mass is closer to the CG.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Nov 21, 2008, 02:58 PM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan
I maidened my Salamander today. Yep, the nosewheel steering sucks. I'll have to chop off the nose and fix that. As expected its sensitive in roll. What I didn't like was that it took tons of up elevator in turns to hold altitude.
2nd flight used a TP 1320 and puffed it. 3rd flight, found that a Thunder Power Prolite 2100 fits and will slide back all the way till it balances properly. No cutting necesary. I used some foam rubber in the battery compartment to keep it from sliding forward. Now it grooves in the turns and needs much less back presure to make them level. I guess it's becase the mass is closer to the CG.
Congrats! How was the power? Did it require full throttle? How was top end speed? Slow speed handling? Stall?
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Merlin, are you sure you have just not moved the CG back some? Did you find the elevator trim changed any with the 2100?

Tommy
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:07 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Interesting. I am going to try mine out with the gyro on roll today.

I dident really notice the excess backpressure needed for a turn, only the tendency to tuck the wing in a steep turn, did yours do this too?

So would you say it flies closley to stock with the bigger battery?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Flew about 15 flights today. the gyro works well, really gives it a more solid feel only 5 grams and 28 bucks, why not have one...

Was doing some crosswind {few MPH wind}Takeoffs and landings, the gyro really helped here as expected, aint fraid' of no crosswinds no more.

I think the stock power is great, I cant imagine being able to buy a plane RTF that has enough, I was really suprised by this one. Maybe my nozzle helps, I have never flown it without it.

Full throttle it moves pretty good, probably 70 or so I guess. I fly around at half most the time just cruising.
Last edited by SilentHunter; Nov 22, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2 Posts
starmax He 162 Salamander

I just bought one without the radio* and I need to know if anyone has set it up with they're own . What are the throws etc and any other information would be great. Thanks** * * *
somotebeit is offline Find More Posts by somotebeit
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:48 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Elevator like 1/2" up and down, maybe 15 expo

Ailerons like same, but lots more expo, I use 40 on them.

Nosewheel, redo stock suck linkage, lots of expo, or suffer grinding the wingtips off tipping over syndrom. This plane has NO tolerance for just flooring it and taking off. It has to have an almost absolute straight takoff run. Go drive it around before you try to fly, make sure you can drive FAST and STRAIGHT.

Visibility: the stock paint color fades out fast, and the weird shape, keep it close the first few flights, I painted my wingtips in the top to help, and it does.

This is the only plane I have had where taking off {nice} is as intense as landing, probably harder. Just look at the gear stance Landing is easy on this no prob.

Dont worry U get used to it after a bit. Good luck and let us know.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:35 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
15 flights in 1 day! Either you got some battery stash, or you spent a LOT of time charging at the field!

Interesting notes about the gyro. I have a flying pal who put one on his Multiplex Twister and he loves it.

With some luck the Sally will go up day after thanksgiving. Mr Electric Tom Hunt will do the maiden. With some luck I should get some photos/video in the air.

Tommy D
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:55 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter
This plane has NO tolerance for just flooring it and taking off. It has to have an almost absolute straight takoff run. Go drive it around before you try to fly, make sure you can drive FAST and STRAIGHT
Funny how easy the Hobby Lobby videos always make these planes look!
Old Nov 24, 2008, 09:19 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,259 Posts
CG is still in the recomended place. I copied the paper cup exhaust and while it looks cool, I think it actually adds speed. So does 2100 mah and I spend alot longer at full throttle. Vertical is still pretty weak but better than most EDF rtfs. My stock Phase 3 F16 blows it away. I concur on the overbanking tendancy, I'm flying it on my original 4 channel radio with no expo, it's pretty twitchy. I had a dead stick (over 10 min.) and landed in some tall weeds and broke off the tail. It glides like a greased brick. I'll add some toothpicks because it looks like a weak spot behind the tail servo hatch. I'm not sure if this plane would do well as a belly lander, I get tail strikes just landing on the gear. And the nose gear has a shorter straighter pushrod now. Takeoff are still exciting but much improved.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Nov 25, 2008, 08:24 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,053 Posts
Merlin

I think as a belly lander the tail should be beefed up for unexpected strikes for sure. A little .5 glass and WBPU would work nicely. Or heck if you didn't care how it looked some fiberglass packing tape would also do the job.

Reducing the exhaust exit for sure will give you a higher top speed but I'm pretty sure it will cost you in the overall thrust department.

Tommy D
Old Nov 25, 2008, 05:15 PM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
I wish, I have 4 packs, Spent most of the day charging.

Yeah the gyro is cool, especially when you have some wind on a light plane like this. i really like it when the plane is far away and hard to see, you know, when your flying on "where it should be"

Good luck with your flight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
15 flights in 1 day! Either you got some battery stash, or you spent a LOT of time charging at the field!

Interesting notes about the gyro. I have a flying pal who put one on his Multiplex Twister and he loves it.

With some luck the Sally will go up day after thanksgiving. Mr Electric Tom Hunt will do the maiden. With some luck I should get some photos/video in the air.

Tommy D
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHunter
I wish, I have 4 packs, Spent most of the day charging.

Yeah the gyro is cool, especially when you have some wind on a light plane like this. i really like it when the plane is far away and hard to see, you know, when your flying on "where it should be"

Good luck with your flight.
Which Gyro? Just a cheap heading hold?
Old Nov 28, 2008, 04:37 PM
WisCONsin
Joined Jan 2006
134 Posts
You mention the difficult take offs.... Anyone try hand launching it?
Steely Dan is offline Find More Posts by Steely Dan