HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:06 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,397 Posts
Hey Salamander Friends!

This thing is back in supply again...in Hong Kong.
I've already ordered one from each of these sites: HobbyKing and RC-Castle. (That means I've ordered two, one for me and one for a friend.) I'm basically curious if both models come with the same components, particularly the ESC. There's a big price difference between the two sites, but once postage is calculated, this difference is only about $15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamhw
In every landing (good and bad), my tail horizontal gets broken up due to the tall vertical stabs hitting the grass first...What are the implications of me cutting off a quarter of the vertical stabs (from the bottom)?
Personally, I don't think the effect will be so bad to prevent flying the model, although it might yaw more in the turns. You may consider simply raising [what's left of] the vertical stabs and making them higher so, in effect, you don't have to cut off too much from below the horizontal stab.

In my opinion the vertical stabs are relatively high above the ground considering the horizontal stabs V-form. And if the verticals stabs are getting scraped off, then you may be landing the model too slow and possibly trying to plop it down from a high angle of attack. The 3 landings I made with mine—before it suffered some kind of uncontrolled roll and then downward spiral into the ground from about 30-meter height—were rather flat, albeit fast, and the tail boom (and stabs) never touched the ground.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Jan 12, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2010, 09:26 PM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
244 Posts
Hi All
Great thread, ive just ordered one from the Hobbyking website, in hong kong, cant wait to get it, im a little scared after reading about so many crashes and unexplained things happening to these EDF's.
Rob
moocowfish is offline Find More Posts by moocowfish
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:43 PM
Today is a Good Day to Fly!
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowfish View Post
Hi All
Great thread, ive just ordered one from the Hobbyking website, in hong kong, cant wait to get it, im a little scared after reading about so many crashes and unexplained things happening to these EDF's.
Rob
Hi Rob, this is not an easy bird to fly. This is my 3rd EDF and I've flown the Kyosho F-16 and Art-Tech Mig-15. Both are lighter and flew straight off my hands (I can only do hand-launches where I fly).

Even with upgraded 4800kv outrunner motor with 6 blades in the same 64 EDF housing and 25C 2000 mah Lipo, it will dip (nose down) after a 15-20 degrees up handlaunch... if I manage to elevate in time, it will climb out at 40 degrees with power... otherwise... heheh, its dirt time... the upside is the EDF is mounted on top so no damage and no foreign objects sucked into the EDF. hahah.

Not discouraging you, this bird looks real good and unique in the air, just want to let you know what you'll experience and be prepared for that maiden.

Cheers!

Han
kamhw is offline Find More Posts by kamhw
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:28 PM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
244 Posts
Hi kamhw
thanks for your advise, i will be nervous about the maiden but excited at the same time, are you saying with the stock 4300kv motor and 5 blade fan it wont hand launch, or maybe very difficult?

thanks again
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamhw View Post
Hi Rob, this is not an easy bird to fly. This is my 3rd EDF and I've flown the Kyosho F-16 and Art-Tech Mig-15. Both are lighter and flew straight off my hands (I can only do hand-launches where I fly).

Even with upgraded 4800kv outrunner motor with 6 blades in the same 64 EDF housing and 25C 2000 mah Lipo, it will dip (nose down) after a 15-20 degrees up handlaunch... if I manage to elevate in time, it will climb out at 40 degrees with power... otherwise... heheh, its dirt time... the upside is the EDF is mounted on top so no damage and no foreign objects sucked into the EDF. hahah.

Not discouraging you, this bird looks real good and unique in the air, just want to let you know what you'll experience and be prepared for that maiden.

Cheers!

Han
Old Jan 11, 2010, 11:43 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowfish View Post
Hi kamhw
..., are you saying with the stock 4300kv motor and 5 blade fan it wont hand launch, or maybe very difficult?
Rob
No, that is not what I meant. I got this as a kit only (plane plus EDF housing only) so I did not get the chance to try out the factory 4300kv motor.

PS: Adjust your aileron throws and put in some negative Expo (35% for mine)... this bird rolls like a low-wing warbird.

Han
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
carnage in 10 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik View Post
Hey Salamander Friends!

This thing is back in supply again...in Hong Kong.
LOL, I will tame it.
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:34 AM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
244 Posts
Hi kamhw
Thanks again for the advise, i see expo mentioned alot in this thread.
i cant wait !!!

p.s i ordered an Salamander this morning and Hobbycity had 8 left, i checked a minute ago and they had 4 left, WOW these are popular at the moment.

(just rechecked and they are sold out.....)

Rob
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:06 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamhw
Hi Rob, this is not an easy bird to fly...(I can only do hand-launches where I fly).
Han,

You might consider a bungee launch. If you look back through these posts I have a video of my model's last flight, which was its 2nd bungee launch.

Prior to that video of a successful bungee launch (and of its 4th flight attempt), I had flown it twice with the landing gear attached. My home club in the U.S. has a hard surface runway so I had thought the landing gear would be practical.

Well, it wasn't. To avoid the risk of stalling on landing I landed it fast (power on about 1/4-throttle) and this worked fine. But it also used up more runway than was available, about 300 feet—and that bugger was too squirrelly on the ground.

So the following flights I used a bungee; the 3rd flight landed on the green grass parallel the runway that extended much longer. Easy. Smooth. And even though I still landed it fast, the model stopped much sooner. I'm sure this would work on a dirt surface as well.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:01 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2003
90 Posts
Quote:
Han,

You might consider a bungee launch. If you look back through these posts I have a video of my model's last flight, which was its 2nd bungee launch.
Thanks James, I found the post (#145) but do not see any video attachments or links. Are you able to provide the link so I can see how you bungee launch the salamander? Thanks

Han
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Did you guys ever see the Video of the Review I did on the model? I think a Bungee is overkill IMO.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:24 PM
mmmmm
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
244 Posts
Hi Tommy, i have never seen the review, would you mind pointing me in the direction of it !
thanks
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Did you guys ever see the Video of the Review I did on the model? I think a Bungee is overkill IMO.

Tommy D
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=he+162+review

Should take you to the Review Thread
Old Jan 13, 2010, 03:32 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
I disagree. It's simply an issue of a failsafe launch. Additionally, Tom Hunt threw your model on its first flight. And he is no EDF novice. He also didn't have a transmitter in his other hand. Therefore why not, as pilot, didn't you throw it?

Of course after you re-powered the model with a beefier setup a PIC hand-launch became a no-brainer. But I suspect a majority of EDF fliers don't do that with this model—and mine was plenty fast enough on the stock setup.

Another no-crash-option may be to simply let it do a belly-slide takeoff from smooth grass.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:20 PM
what it do everybody?
a swamp naturally
Joined Mar 2008
664 Posts
both threads leads one to ask - has anyone flown this without crashing it?

someone mentioned that the gear tracks well, so isn't rog the safest way to get tthis edf off the ground?
zaskarkid is offline Find More Posts by zaskarkid
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:26 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Quote:
I disagree. It's simply an issue of a failsafe launch. Additionally, Tom Hunt threw your model on its first flight. And he is no EDF novice. He also didn't have a transmitter in his other hand. Therefore why not, as pilot, didn't you throw it?
He threw the model with one hand, while holding the TX in his other. I'm not so sure I understand what you typed/are asking.

If this was a HEAVY underpowered EDF model, sure I would have tossed it for him. We did not figure on having a problem hand launching it, and we didn't.

That included both stock and non.

I do have to disagree with you RE Bungee being a failsafe launch. We have a fair number of models <Prop and EDF> that go up with a Bungee. That said one more then one occassion I have seen a muffed launch.

Bottom line is do what YOU want. We hand launched and had no trouble.

Tommy D