Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB
Bill you make me jealous!
Which one, the Spirit of St. Louis jet?

I do have the FW190TL, that is almost as off the wall though.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Sep 01, 2009, 06:41 AM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
It's not for lack of trying, I just don't have that kind of talent!
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
Old Sep 01, 2009, 12:52 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy E Oetting
A spin is a type of stall. It could have been an accelerated stall. The problem could also be related to component failure, mechanical or electrical. I had a servo come loose on me last year and that plane did ugly things all the way to the ground.
Roy
Hmm, Roy, you might be onto something. I might have gotten too slow as it was dusk and it was a ways away from me, and doing the post mortem, I see that one inboard aileron hinge was very loose. Not sure if that was from the first crash or second, but I'm currently theorizing that my CG was a bit back, and if that aileron was loose at the incipient stall, then it could have been a contributing factor, and when I throttled up to try and bail out (wasn't high enough to nose down), I might have made it worse... Hmm..

In general (now that the nose is smushed) where are people setting CG relative to the mold line just behind the leading edge of the wing?

"Manual" says 412mm from the nose for cg, and I started at about 420, and in the crash was at 430 or so...... maybe just Pilot error? I get lazy sometimes because I generally can fly anything in any trim and still bring it down in one piece... Guess I got my humility lesson!

PS, Definitely going to have to do a 190TL! on my FSK plane, the scale cooling fan would pull the plan along on the ground with no prop, so I figured it had to be possible!
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Last edited by spinnetti; Sep 01, 2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
West Central PA
Joined Dec 2008
2,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnetti
Hmm, Roy, you might be onto something. I might have gotten too slow as it was dusk and it was a ways away from me, and doing the post mortem, I see that one inboard aileron hinge was very loose. Not sure if that was from the first crash or second, but I'm currently theorizing that my CG was a bit back, and if that aileron was loose at the incipient stall, then it could have been a contributing factor, and when I throttled up to try and bail out (wasn't high enough to nose down), I might have made it worse... Hmm..

In general (now that the nose is smushed) where are people setting CG relative to the mold line just behind the leading edge of the wing?

"Manual" says 412mm from the nose for cg, and I started at about 420, and in the crash was at 430 or so...... maybe just Pilot error? I get lazy sometimes because I generally can fly anything in any trim and still bring it down in one piece... Guess I got my humility lesson!
I can't specifically remember if any hinges were loose, but boy were they poorly installed. I took them out, recentered them and reglued them. One of my ailerons was around 1/4" below the wing on one end, and 1/4" above the wing on the other end. Horribly skewed. I see that stuff and think that it's a real shame that a number of folks fly these things right out of the box, many who would barely be able to fly the plane if everything was right.

I'll have to check my CG relative to that wing mark, but I can say that an EVO 3s-1800 seemed to get it right, and that I doubt it would fly well with a lighter batt and no ballast up front.
WTFLYR is offline Find More Posts by WTFLYR
Old Sep 11, 2009, 05:29 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
Installed my new 23 dollar fan/outrunner. (+$9.99 shipped) If you take off the intake trumpet which is just held on by tape it is a drop in fit. I think it's the identical fan housing. Held it in my hand and I can really see why this thing pitches so much when you change power. And boy, does it pull! Can't fly it for a few days but will report back.
merlinfan is offline Find More Posts by merlinfan
Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:42 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
At my father's insistence I had to rename my model; had I finished it the local hobby shop owner would not hang it on display with decals stating a "Piece of Sh*t." So here are some photos of my new Piece of Cr*p.

So, as I said, I didn't finish it prior my return to Germany. It now hangs in my parent's garage (along with another old model, a Holiday 280).

Everything on this model was designed and assembled by using a ruler and "eye-balling." Glue was foam-safe contact cement and 5-minute epoxy.

As you can see the Salamander's "turbine" and battery holder were spared to be used again. Ditto for the carbon fiber spar inside (unseen, naturally). Except for the wings, the remaining foam construction uses the box the Salamander came in. Some old scrap balsa and plywood I found laying around make up much of the support structure. The main wheels were also spared from the Salamander (its nose wheel didn't survive), and I bought a new castering tailwheel. It easily rolls along the floor and the large rudders make ground steering a snap. I drew a chord line on the ends of each wing half to assist their equal mounting, but somehow the left and right trailing edges are still uneven a few millimeters at the fuselage. Nevertheless, if it is a problem it's something I expect a quick aileron correction can't handle immediately after rotation. (Oh, does a tail-dragger rotate or just lift off?) And that's why I decided to add wheels: With that trailing edge alignment a hand launch might be too fast for any roll correction.

Presently without finishing and RC components (but including the motor/ESC) it's very light at around 200 - 250 grams. But even with a 3s LiPo it will be a bit tail heavy and require some lead in the nose.

Next summer (if I'm back in the States) I will install the the radio components, figure out the servo linkages, paint the thing, and then give it a try.
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Last edited by James Frolik; Sep 12, 2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 04:39 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
Flew with the new outrunner and had no problems. Plane still goes pretty fast at 1//2 to 2/3 throtle but no jump in speed going to full power. I reduced aileron throws, might have over done it. It can only do 1 roll per second. Will go up a little. This plane can be called a lot of things but boring is not one of them. Flew 5 min, ran a 15c 2100 down to 11.33 Volts. Puffed it, need more Cs.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:17 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Hi, I just talked with Hobby Lobby and they have discontinued the HE-162. They had a nice list of spare parts but according to David at HL they won't be getting them either.
Can anyone recommend a source?
I've been chomping at the bit to get my Heinkel air worthy but other priorities have kept me from getting much don. I did make a eflux tube out of a beer can which cam out OK.
Roy
Roy E Oetting is offline Find More Posts by Roy E Oetting
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:28 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,400 Posts
Roy, haven't you flown yours yet?
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:48 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik
Roy, haven't you flown yours yet?
No it is still virgin. I worked out what I want to do for the main landing gear and bought the carbon rod. As I said I made the eflux tube and installed that, but I'm presently working on a 30 mm EDF which is taking me longer than expected. I also have a MiG-21 pusher I want to finish (it is almost done) that so I can fly video combat between that and my pusher JAS-39. I'm pretty sure those are going to be to fast to really be successful so I have another plane on the drawing board.
I was just looking to see who sells Starmax and it doesn't look like there are any HE-162's out there. My thought was to get another down the line and put retracts in it.
Roy
I've also replaced the ESC because I don't want to go dead stick and I also have a rate gyro to help me out in roll.
Last edited by Roy E Oetting; Sep 22, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:39 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
Here ya go Roy.

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...1i73429de40fq2
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan
Thanks for the help. Have you bought from Philip Workshop?
I got to believe the shipping has to be a lot. In a few days I'll check into it.
I also watched the young guy flying it off what seems to be a roof top. He made the underhand hand launch look easy.
Roy
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:33 PM
Throttle Bender
Joined Jun 2008
1,343 Posts
I have bought some pilot heads and retracts from Phillip. Quick ship.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:58 PM
The thruster don't work!
Fairborn, OH
Joined Oct 2002
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfan
I have bought some pilot heads and retracts from Phillip. Quick ship.
Thanks again,
Roy