SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2008, 02:03 PM
Rem The Wasp CV-7 9/15/42
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Discussion
New HL/Starmax HE-162 Salamander

Ordered mine from PW-RC about amonth before HL came out with it. Pretty nice kit. Wings are stubby like the full scale which is good. EDO 64 fan. Battery tray is the only thing stopping me from building it right now. The biggest battery you can put in is about a 1320 size 3 cell. Anyone else have it yet?
SammyB is offline Find More Posts by SammyB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2008, 02:40 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyB
Ordered mine from PW-RC about amonth before HL came out with it. Pretty nice kit. Wings are stubby like the full scale which is good. EDO 64 fan. Battery tray is the only thing stopping me from building it right now. The biggest battery you can put in is about a 1320 size 3 cell. Anyone else have it yet?
Sammy,

you sure you can't mod the battery tray to take a bigger one? There's alot of fuselage there with no duct in the way. Maybe one can split open the fuse halves and hog it out?

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 31, 2008, 02:50 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
I have to take a picture. It uses a GWS style hard plastic hinged battery door. I could make the hole bigger but would have to find a way to extend the battery door. I know there is a way, just have to open up my mind a little.
Old Nov 03, 2008, 02:29 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,752 Posts
Anyone else?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Nov 03, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Got one
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 03, 2008, 03:16 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Got one
Pics please!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 03, 2008, 04:07 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
What are your first impressions Tommy?
Old Nov 03, 2008, 04:44 PM
Registered Triplane Addict
Winchester MA
Joined Jun 2004
1,770 Posts
ordering one in a week... I wanted to use a gws 3900kv outrunner in an edf-64 on 4s instead of the stock stuff but the bat tray worries me. I wish we could get bare foam.... jeeeeeez
68Strat is offline Find More Posts by 68Strat
Old Nov 03, 2008, 04:48 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
It's pretty neat I think. If you have seen their F-5 it's a lot like that.

Will have to re-do the battery "box" IMO.

Check the upcomming reviews, I think someone is doing it.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 03, 2008, 05:32 PM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
Who might that be?
Old Nov 04, 2008, 03:31 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Switzerland, ZH, Dietikon
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Hi Folks,

I just opened the box (Santa is early this year)! Yukk, the green color is all wrong (nothing a rattle can of Tamiya's Olive Drab can't fix)! Besides that, not too bad in terms of foam quality.

I'll put a strip of FG down the belly as mine will be built w/o landing gear. I'm probably going to cut off the fuse around the cockpit to get a bigger battery bay.

Oh, the fan? Pull out of the box and throw over left shoulder is probably the best I can do with it...

Mine will be propelled with the aid of a Vasa 65 ('cause I can't be a**** to hog out enough foam to install a MiniFan) and Steve Neu's 1105 motor.

I'll publish a couple of pics of the build, if anyone is interested.

Best regards - Paco
RoverTomcat is offline Find More Posts by RoverTomcat
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:20 AM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
I have been flying mine. Here are some observations/suggestions:

The stock power system is great, no need at all for an upgrade, flys perfect at half throttle. I was amazed.

The stock nosewheel system sucks, that coupled with the narrow main gear= all over the place on takeoff. be sure to mod the gear so that it centers, has no slop at all, and remove the "dogleg" coupler to the servo. I mounted my nose servo upside down in the stock location, and then a straight shot to the nosewheel shaft. Dont underestimate the nosewheel importance on this plane, takeoffs are awful unless it is setup perfect.

Add some wingtip "bumpers" so you dont grind the foam WHEN it rolls onto a wingtip due to the really narrow main gear. Also be sure to bend the main gear so thet the wheels have a slight toe-in.

Dont firewall the throttle instantly on takeoff, the torque from the fan will make the plane roll onto a wingtip and use said bumper. roll the power on smooth.

Plane is sensitive in roll, so get a good amount of expo.

The color, and the strange shape of the plane, it will disappear fast! keep it close. I painted mine with tan leopard spots, and painted the wingtips yellow, this helped this lots.

Other than the above, it flys great! you can land pretty slow too, without tipstalling. It is a neat plane and I enjoy it much.

I also installed a nozzle with 52mm diameter outlet, the stock nacell duct is only a few mm smaller than the fan. Looks and works great. Made from a paper cup.
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:21 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
I dont know why you would toss the fan, mine was balanced and works great. Unless you just like modding stuff. I was skeptical too about the fan, but give it a try first.

Yes I would like to add a 1500 or even 1750 battery too, wouldent take much mod to fit. I am first going to add the extra weight of the bigger battery {piece of lead}, to see if the performance is affected by the extra ounce or so.

Hopefully the bigger battery wont affect it much, and to counter the extra nose weight, a super micro servo in the tail for rudder
Last edited by SilentHunter; Nov 04, 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:31 AM
Santa Clarita,CA
Joined Apr 2004
1,685 Posts
I like your exhaust nozzle! Looks more scale that way. The yellow wingtips look pretty good too. This plane is modeled after the Salamander at The Chino Planes of Fame museum. Very cool plane to see up close. When you grasp what you are looking at, it's rather amazing.
Old Nov 04, 2008, 10:42 AM
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Right, Starmax did a good job on the scale outline, mostly why I bough it. I have seen the Salamander there before.