HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:45 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Corona with Voyager E landing gear (yet again!)

Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed a lot (because I've just been through a load of the threads in a search!) but I still have a couple of unanswered questions about using the V-E landing gear on a Corona after reading previous threads.

My kit of bits for the V-E landing gear arrived yesterday. The two actual skids and the two support brackets. (plus set screws/mounting screws)

Question 1: The brackets have a slight angle where they join the skids. Have people got this angled forwards or backwards? (It's kind of tricky to see this even though there were some good pictures in my search).

Question 2: The only picture I've found that shows the close up detail of how the V-E gear attaches to the crutch was JIMJAM's where he's just got it nytied through existing holes and is ignoring the screws/screw holes in the V-E gear. So, question 2, is this how everyone has attached it? I thought about epoxying/CAing a wooden block to the crutch then screwing into this but is this not necessary?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cliff

PS AS I've had some setup problems with getting my Corona going I'm actually going for some tuition plus setup help with the famous Russ Deakin tomorrow - should be fun!! (Apparently I get to start by having a go on an I/C Raptor which should also be fun!)
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2003, 12:24 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
ok.. on mine i put both front and back w/that angle you are talkin about forward.. thats how almost all real heli's look so i went with that.. plus i put the mounting gear where it attaches on the back with plastic ties.. the theory there is if i hit hard it will break the plastic ties first and not the crutch...
below is a pic of the rear of mine closeup.. so you can see how i did mine.. on the piece for the crutch i added a 1/4" square dowel similar to the keel stiffiner... but the landing gear isnt glued or screwed at all.. just plastic ties and i have no problem on mine..
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Last edited by gmaster; Feb 21, 2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:20 PM
Honolulu Intl, Hawaii, United States
Joined Feb 2003
1,502 Posts
Question 1: The brackets have a slight angle where they join the skids. Have people g

You definitely want the angle of the struts aiming forward...
Astro30 is offline Find More Posts by Astro30
Old Feb 22, 2003, 01:58 AM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Gmaster,

I like the cable ties. I use HOT Glue to do the same thing. Hot glue will seperate from the skids before busting the crutch.

Nice.

- Rick
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:16 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Thanks everyone. That great picture makes it very clear!

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:19 AM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
yah hot glue would work.. at the time i didnt have any at hand so go with what you have good luck its not hard to figure something out..
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster