SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2001, 08:27 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
House of Balsa 1/12 P-51 as a Sloper?

Well what do you think? Will it work? I'm just not able to spend the dough on a new plane at the moment. I've got this one half built. But no motor for it yet. Could I just throw in some servo's and head for the hills. Let me pull up the specs for this....

Wingspan: 36"
Wing Area: 216 sq. in.
Weight: 22 - 28 oz.
Wing Loading: 14.6 to 18.6 oz./sq. ft.
Fuselage Length: 28.5"
Airfoil: Semi-Symmetric, Low-Wing

Let me know what you think. Keep in mind I'm not looking for a rocket ship just something to fly.

Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2001, 11:21 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
That'll be just fine. Wing loading is good. Do what's easy to reduce drag: sharp trailing edges or square ones (not rounded); about 1 degree of incidence difference between wing and stab.

From the description of your "hill," I wish I could come visit Kodiak, AK. How are the mosquitos this time of year? (I know, big enough to rape a turkey with all 6 legs on the ground... )

Dieter
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 29, 2001, 11:40 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I've flown the larger HOB P-51 as a sloper.. the wing is bit too thick for a lot of speed, but it is manuverable.
The 1/12th Bf-109 is basically the same airplane, with only the plastic turtle deck the real difference.. it made a very nice sloper..
Sparky Paul http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff http://www.networkone.net/~pjburke/index.html
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 29, 2001, 11:43 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Actually I don't think I've seen a misquito up here. The little bugs is what get's you. I fly my planes down by a sort of marsh. They get pretty bad when it heats up(for here that's 65-70). No back to the topic.

What's this wing incidence that you are telling me about? And how would I measure it?
Old Jun 30, 2001, 01:01 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,710 Posts
"What's this wing incidence that you are telling me about? And how would I measure it?"

The difference between angles of attack of wing and stab should be about -1 degree in your case, which means wing and stab should lean slightly toward oneanother.
Get an incidence meter (may have to mail-order that in Kodiak). Mount wing on plane and secure the assembly so that nothing moves. Slide incidence meter onto wing near the root and measure the angle. Now attach stab's fixed portion without the elevator. Measure and adjust stab so that its incidence is 1 degree less than wing's (tilted toward wing by 1 degree).

Note, these indicence measurements usually are not all that acurate, but if you try hard for about 1 degree difference, you'll be fine.

I made this point because "power" kits frequently have too much incidence built in for slope flying. The "semi-symmetrical" airfoil will not require a whole lot of incidence difference. Too much difference requires additional nose weight to make the plane fly. Unfortunately, this also makes it unnecessarily nose-heavy and reduces performance.

Dieter
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 30, 2001, 01:07 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I've got the fuse fiberglassed and drying. It'll be a couple of days before I get it done. Do you think I should go with the strip aileron or change to a servo in each wing. I don't have
a computer radio so i don't know if this will bring me any benifits.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 02:42 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
I decided to go with strip ailerons. Mostly because I already had them set up that way. Other than that it's finish the fiberglassing, cover the wing, paint it and go fly. I'll post an update on my sloping adventure.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 06:07 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Thanks Sparky. That'll save a few $$$.
Old Jul 01, 2001, 01:30 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
To get around the "get an incidence meter" $$$ situation.. http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/incidence.htm
Sparky Paul http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff http://www.networkone.net/~pjburke/index.html
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 12, 2001, 10:54 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
I've got the P-51 done except for some minor Exterior painting. Decided to take it to the local football field and see how it glides.

I had some binding problems with the stock aileron set up(strip) so I threw in two HS81's. Cleared it all up. I also had to add a bunch of weight to the nose to get it balanced. I was a little worried that it was too heavy. Well any way.

Gave it a good toss into about a 5 mph head wind and glided nicely for some 50 yards. Needed a little left trim. One more toss just to see if I got lucky and it did the same. Now All I got to do is wait for the wind to pick up a little and I'm off to the hills. Getting excited now.

So I just turn into the wind and make like a figure eight in front of the slop right?

Thanks for all that have giving me tips. I implemented all that I thought I could do without botching up. My building skills leave something to be desired. I'll report back when I actually get it on a slope.

Foxtrot