HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2008, 05:41 PM
mgg
Spain
Joined Oct 2008
31 Posts
New Product
The Flight Simulator for FPV and Multicopters

AeroSIM RC is a Radio Control Flight Simulator for PC. Recently, some powerful FPV specific features have been added to the simulator such as:
  • On-board camera, with pan and tilt, controllable from transmitter (or mouse)
  • OSD with GPS data (ground speed, altitude, heading, lat/long, waypoints, etc.)
  • Scenario Generation Tool. Create an scenario of your own flying site from just a satellite image.
A FULL DEMO can be downloaded now from the download page at www.aerosimrc.com

A DEMO of the simulator was prepared for the participants of the II Spanish FPV / UAV Meeting 2008 (see thread) to familiarize with the flying site before the actual meeting.

The FPV capabilities of the simulator have been discussed at the Spanish forum AeromodelismoVirtual.com. For instance, you can connect your googles and head tracker to the computer and fly virtual FPV at home.

I hope you will find this project interesting, and contribute with your ideas.
mgg is offline Find More Posts by mgg
Last edited by mgg; Oct 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:28 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgg
AeroSIM RC is a Radio Control Flight Simulator for PC. Recently, some powerful FPV specific features have been added to the simulator such as:
  • On-board camera, with pan and tilt, controllable from transmitter (or mouse)
  • OSD with GPS data (ground speed, altitude, heading, lat/long, waypoints, etc.)
  • Scenario Generation Tool. Create an scenario of your own flying site from just a satellite image.
A DEMO of the simulator was prepared for the participants of the II Spanish FPV / UAV Meeting 2008 (see thread) to familiarize with the flying site before the actual meeting.

The DEMO can be downloaded from here. There is an article here (in Spanish) explaining the special FPV features added to the simulator.

The FPV capabilities of the simulator have been discussed at AeromodelismoVirtual.com forum. For instance, you can connect your googles to the computer and fly virtual FPV at home. It is like the real thing! (see pictures at thread)

I hope you will find this project interesting, and contribute with your ideas.
We've come full circle!
All simulators were originally "cockpit view" or FPV, then added outside views (mostly for the enjoyment of the user). Then the RC sims took up the cause and made their products view from a fixed point to simulate the RC experience, and now they are revamping the cockpit view again, this time for FPV!
Wow, the best part is that FPV is becoming so much more "mainstream".
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
Defrost the chicken!
Duluth, GA
Joined Sep 2008
83 Posts
Nice start

Wishlist:

- Emulation of all mainstream OSDs, customizable (just like a real thing);
- Interference generator. Just like the wind, an occasional "snow" or even blackouts are important factors that influence FPV flights.
- Headtracker
talbot is offline Find More Posts by talbot
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:46 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
that is awesome!

I'm gonna need some time figuring out how to use that!
rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Oct 29, 2008, 06:56 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Very nice, but I cannot get the mouse to click on the controller type selection and therefore I cannot use the Transmitter to fly =(
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
is there an air to air combat version?
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:19 PM
ApachePilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,870 Posts
Any ideas on mapping your Tx to the game, can;t seem to get it figured ou here, even with ppjoy or without. Running a JR Tx with usb interface.

Apache
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:27 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I agree about the interference and loss of video signal. It would be cool to specify a range from your starting point, which beyond that range you'd get more and more radio hits and loss of video the farther out you go.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau
I agree about the interference and loss of video signal. It would be cool to specify a range from your starting point, which beyond that range you'd get more and more radio hits and loss of video the farther out you go.
and that would be So Cool...
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:46 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,962 Posts
Wow I would like to try that, it`s very cool.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:50 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Sooner or later the developers of the sim will catch wind of this thread, and most of those features will be available.
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
Old Oct 30, 2008, 05:00 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
The guy with the most experience at going out of range is Jett Pilot.

Maybe they ought to ask him how to simulate OOR situations. JP always said climb if you have range problems. It would be nice if they simulated that effect, with greater range at higher altitude, or loss of signal if you go behind trees, as happened to me flying at a lake in VT.

For myself, I have been practicing with an older version of Real Flight, where there is no hint of the airplane visible. The old version is hard to land, and is a way better trainer in all respects that the current version. The Pitts is realistically hard to land with no visible reference of the airplane in the frame.

The old version has a slider for landing difficulty, and I usually have it set all the way up.

I've got or had most of the current crop of sims, and I still like the old version of Real Flight but Aeroflight Pro, or whatever the Ikarus sim is called is a lot of fun too. I love flying the French version of the Storch off the photorealistic mountain and landing it on the upslope. The engine sound is fantastic when piped into my hifi.

Some people get the morning blahs. I get the morning Blah, Blahs, while having my coffee.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 30, 2008, 05:27 AM
Joined Aug 2008
168 Posts
tried the demo, but couldn't really play it. It freezes all the time. I have a pretty fast pc with gamer gear, so performance shouldn't be a problem. Running on WinXP, any ideas why it freezes for serveral seconds regulary?

Sibi
_Sibi_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sibi_
Old Oct 30, 2008, 07:06 AM
mgg
Spain
Joined Oct 2008
31 Posts
Quote:
Wishlist:
- Emulation of all mainstream OSDs, customizable (just like a real thing);
- Interference generator. Just like the wind, an occasional "snow" or even blackouts are important factors that influence FPV flights.
- Headtracker
OSD
Currently, the OSD in AeroSIM RC can be configured to some extent: selection of units, refresh rate, and transparency. More config options are planned to be

added, like the position of each data element on screen, hide/show units, and some new data not implemented yet, such as battery voltage and current, or

signal dBs. All can be easily added.

Interference generator / blackouts
Sure will make it more attractive. Actually, I have already been working on such special effects, selecting different types of video noise from all of your

uploaded FPV videos. This feature is also in my wish list.

Headtracker
Nice one. Actually it is already available. All you need is a cable adaptor to connect together the USB cable, the transmitter and the headtracker. Then

select channels 5 & 6 to control the pan and tilt of the camera.

The cable adaptor should be something like this:
HeadTracker signal - connected to - Radio Trainer Input pin
Radio Trainer Output pin - connected to - USB cable signal.
Connected all grounds together

Please, somebody try this and let me know how it works. Do not forget to connect also your googles to the computer!

Quote:
is there an air to air combat version?
Not yet. Air to surface will come first, then multiplayer, then air to air combat...

Quote:
Any ideas on mapping your Tx to the game, can;t seem to get it figured ou here, even with ppjoy or without. Running a JR Tx with usb interface.
Check that you can see your Tx as a joystic in the Windows Control Panel / Game Controllers. Then, in the AeroSIMRC Controller menu, select the bottom right

controller option, which is fully customizabe. Then map joystick X, Y, etc. accordingly.

Quote:
tried the demo, but couldn't really play it. It freezes all the time. I have a pretty fast pc with gamer gear...
AeroSIM RC runs with OpenGL. Most probably you are running with microsoft OpenGL driver, which is emulated and very slow. Make sure you have the latest driver of your graphic card.

Thanks for your feedback.
mgg is offline Find More Posts by mgg
Old Oct 30, 2008, 03:08 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
I can verify that it works well even on my laptop with only a 256MB nVidia 7150m card, which isn't exactly the best for 3D apps such as this one. It also works very well on my desktop with a Radeon 9800pro which is also not the latest and greatest hardware...

Next question, when will the full paid version be for sale? This is about the only sim I've ever actually looked forward to paying money for...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau