Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Discussion
EEK !!! Second Lipo Fire!!!

Charging Sunday , talking with Skottman between flights... Boom !!! Ran around the truck to see the grass on fire, my battery Toast(less than toast actually)...stomped the fire out unplugged the remains...Using Elecrtifly Poly Charge and BP balancer... didn't think this could happen with a balancer, but apparently the PC didn't cut off, not the first time this has happened and not the first lipo fire caused by this charger forgetting to cut off...
So I'm chucking this charger and getting a new one... All the guys at the field are using FMA, so that's probably the way we're going... can't afford to start any more fires..or lose more good batteries to bad chargers...
Gotta' be careful with these lipo batteries cause' they're little bombs waiting to go off...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:17 AM
North Kent, England UK
Joined Jan 2005
301 Posts
Glenn, Do you have something to carry your lipos in when driving? I put mine in vegetable/fruit cans with the lids wired down and have them in the passenger well but I'm not happy with it, if one did go up I doubt if I could get it out of the car safely.

I've been thinking of making a steel box to contain them.

Jim
JimW is offline Find More Posts by JimW
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:49 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Charger_2S-3S
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:26 PM
Surprise, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
759 Posts
Consider this charger: https://fusion-pack.com/productdetai...?id=108&cat=91

Its an excellent charger, has thermal cut off/sensor, Max charge time cutoff (configurable), and max mah cutoff also configurable...

I have one and its a great charger. Has the ability to charge 2 3s packs at once with a simple adapter to charge via balance taps. https://fusion-pack.com/productdetai...?id=112&cat=89

Its a very accurate and easy to use charger...
JasonJones is offline Find More Posts by JasonJones
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,738 Posts
Glen: sorry to hear about the fire. I've not had one actually ignite, although did have two puff - now discarded. Am I correct in that the lipos puff or ignite either on rapid discharge or while charging only? Seems I haven't heard on any just spontaneously igniting in storage.

Relative to chargers, I found this one on HC some time ago, and it seems to work well: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Charge_Capable
Lets me charge a pair of mystery 900mah 2s at a time. It seems to charge some batteries to about 90-95% full, I can put them on the esky mini charger and top them off. larger (1kmah the biggest I have) packs seem to top off consistently. Balance is always within 1-3 Hundreths of a volt. for what it's worth.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:28 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Flame suit on------------------

I've been using the FMA Cellpro since it first came out and love it. Got the adapters for different pack charging taps. You can watch the charging rate amps drop as the voltage reaches full, and taper off to less than .2 A as it finishes. Sometimes I'll charge them right off the plane to only 90% and fly them again. Probably one of the safest chargers out there IMO.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by praymond
Flame suit on------------------ Paul
Well, at least I didn't get BANNED this time!

BTW we are neighbors.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:02 PM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
This looks like one of the best chargers I've seen in a while. Specially the price. Don't know how I missed it. Think I'll get one because unlike the el cheapo unit it'll do 1 cell and has adjustable current.

Interesting that they actually recommend parallel charging which caused huge hissy fits in yesterdays thread.

quote:
"It can charge from 2S to 4S packs and can also do TWO 2S packs at ONCE!! Which is a real bonus!
The charge port connection fits all Polymax, hexTronik, Dualsky, Align, Kokam etc.. battery ports.
You can adjust the charge rate from .5A up to 2.0A for a fast charge."

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Relative to chargers, I found this one on HC some time ago, and it seems to work well: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Charge_Capable
Lets me charge a pair of mystery 900mah 2s at a time. It seems to charge some batteries to about 90-95% full, I can put them on the esky mini charger and top them off. larger (1kmah the biggest I have) packs seem to top off consistently. Balance is always within 1-3 Hundreths of a volt. for what it's worth.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:13 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Quote:
Do you have something to carry your lipos in when driving?
It's very rare for a battery to spontaneously combust. Fires usually happen due to a charger error (as in this case), or when the battery is physically damaged (i.e. in a crash, but there was a report of one being bitten by a dog!) or overheated by being left on the dashboard (not a problem in the UK!)

For storage and transport, you biggest worry is that something heavy and sharp may fall on your batteries, puncturing them and shorting the internal layers together.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Guys

This may sound a silly question but once the charging is over can we consider our lipos safe, in other words once charged but not used are they safe enough to leave in the house or car unattended? Is the only risk period during charging or actual use in the plane?

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Glen: sorry to hear about the fire. I've not had one actually ignite, although did have two puff - now discarded. Am I correct in that the lipos puff or ignite either on rapid discharge or while charging only? Seems I haven't heard on any just spontaneously igniting in storage.

Thats the same charger I use, so far I have had no problems with it, I like the ability to charge 2 2s LiPos at once, I have 4 I run and 4 3s packs, depending on what I am flying. This charger is a nice solid work horse that does a great job for a great price.
Thats my 2 cents.

Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:14 PM
Registered HotGlue Addict
Joined Dec 2006
1,455 Posts
gpw,

Glad your OK and no serious damage

Wow! Thanks for the heads up

Been using the ElectriFly Poly Charger couple years
knock on wood (my head) no problem
Now I don’t have a balancer but never had a lipo puff while on charge
only on discharge while flying
(reason for two meters to select prop size, Volts times Amps = Watts)
I keep records on each lipo before and after charge
When the numbers change big time I chuck the lipo
You bet I will pay more attention to the poly charger after this

Steve,
I treat a lipo like a gun
it is always loaded
chaosMurphy is offline Find More Posts by chaosMurphy
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey Rich Smith, where do you live?????

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,738 Posts
Rich: as I understand it, the HC charger has 4 separate Cell circuits, so each cell is charged to it's capacity independently. It has two 2s taps, one 3s and one 4s tap. It's not really Parallel charging as we think about it and one can only do the 2s two-up. But if one has lots of 2s packs, it's nice!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 04:53 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,916 Posts
Just buy the Cellpro and be done with it. Probably the best and most foolproof charger being made. It's all I've used for small packs since they were introduced.

FMA will be introducing a new backlit version at the end of this month/beginning of Dec so they have the current version on sale for $49.95.

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr