2,639 Posts
cool
lvspark is offline Find More Posts by lvspark
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2008, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2008
26 Posts
A big thanks for the work

I had a seperate agreement with the property owners at the two clubs I frequent. That agreement allowed me to fly FPV (helicopter) outside the auspices of AMA.

Since the approval of Supplement Code 550, both clubs have adoped a stance that FPV is permitted under AMA. Since I had been doing FPV previous to AMA approval, the clubs had no problem quickly modifing the saftey rules.

As such, I did my first AMA/club legal FPV flights this past weekend (in Northern Virginia, USA) at both clubs.

Sunday, I helped a fellow club member test his camera and transmitter by hooking up his stuff to my ground station power network (12 volts) and receiving the broadcast on my receivers. The guy got to see his camera output under goggles for the first time. He is excited to move forward with building his FPV heli.

I have offered to allow some of the better heli pilots I fly with take the controls under goggles (I would be on the buddy box). So far, none of them have taken up my challenge.

I have been flying cockpit view in RealFlight G4.0 (and 4.5) for some time. The sim flying is very much like the real thing.

jrohland
jrohland is offline Find More Posts by jrohland
Old Nov 03, 2008, 10:28 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
Let me guess LCAA is one of them? I know NVRC has no problem with FPV. In fact if people need help and their close to NVRC feel free to send them my way!
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:25 AM
Joined Aug 2008
26 Posts
Heli only clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Let me guess LCAA is one of them? I know NVRC has no problem with FPV. In fact if people need help and their close to NVRC feel free to send them my way!
I don't want to branch this thread off topic but, you asked:
Virginia Flyers (Gainesville, VA)
VARCHA (Bealeton, VA)

Both of these clubs allow members to fly planes. However, the fields are layed out for heli flying.

jrohland
jrohland is offline Find More Posts by jrohland
Old Nov 03, 2008, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
I wouldn't say it's straying TOO far off topic.. It's still good to know which clubs are now accepting FPV Pilots. I'd love to fly FPV over at the FARM club out in Bealeton!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2008, 12:23 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
I found that 2009 Official Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code still have rule #10:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/105.pdf
The operator of a radio-controlled model aircraft shall control it during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses that are prescribed for the pilot. No model aircraft shall be equipped with devices which allow it to be flown to a selected location which is beyond the visual range of the pilot.
But at the end of document there is line:
First Person View (FPV) Operations (#550)

So, I understand that I should not fly beyond the visual line of my copilot even if it is possible, but rule#10 says that model should not be equipped for that. But every FPV plane is equipped. Did they forget to correct rule#10?
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Nov 04, 2008, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
I see what you mean. From my understanding the 550 is sorta like the turbine waiver. It basically states, yes you can do this, but here is how you HAVE to do it. I have a feeling they are leaving parts of Rule 10 in Doc 105 to keep UAV'ers on the ground.

"With devices which allow it to be flown to a selected location which is beyond the visual range of the pilot"

AKA a Autopilot. So technically people wanting to fly fully autonomous can't. It comes down to insurance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2008, 01:01 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
Small correction can solve this issue. Something like:
... with devices which allow it to be flown autonomous to a selected location which is beyond the visual range of the pilot

But again, I am already happy that we have SC#550.
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Nov 04, 2008, 05:12 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
My take on it is 550 is an addendum, which supersedes what is stated in the main safety doc. So as Scott said, you can fly FPV, but only within the regulations of 550.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Nov 04, 2008, 05:38 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Anyone know if there is a public record of which VP's voted in favor of 550? I figure before I email my VP to thank him for passing FPV, I would see if I could find out if he indeed voted for it. If the vote's not public, or if my VP voted against it, then I will phrase my email such that I'm thanking my VP for the EC's work as a whole in passing it.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Nov 04, 2008, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
Whoever voted for whatever will eventually be posted here...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...n/ec/news.aspx

It's the "Executive Council Meeting Saturday, October 25, 2008". Once it's posted in on that page it'll list the discussion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2008, 08:49 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
More info into things.. Here's how they voted according to the AMA Website...

Quote:
MOTION X: Moved by J. Rice (VIII) and seconded by B. Brown (III) to approve the document titled FIRST PERSON VIEW (FPV) OPERATIONS AMA MEMBERS AND AMA CHARTERED CLUB SITES as amended; and add it to the Supplemental section of the Safety Code and the PDF file listing.
MOTION passed unanimously (Dist. VII VP out of room for vote).
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2008, 10:34 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,227 Posts
Thanks. I'll send a thank you email to my VP Jim Giffin.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Nov 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang
That would be great! Would really help spread the word. It might also be of benefit to have a fairly detailed article on the specifics of FPV flight. People will see guys flying FPV at their local AMA field now. And to also read an article about how everything works would really get people interested.
I wrote up an article on FPV and submitted it to the editor of MA. Here's his reply back...

Quote:
Scott:

This is brilliant!

We just published the code details in the January issue. Actually, we'd very much like to do a feature article on the subject. Something under 1,000 words, with about 10 pictures. It would be an awareness, how-to, review article. Interested?

Sincerely,

Michael Ramsey
Editor, Model Aviation
Sooo guess I get to write some stuff up on FPV!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2008, 06:28 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Excellent! Good job there typicalaimster.

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Last edited by tychoc; Nov 14, 2008 at 07:19 PM.