HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:27 PM
Cameras are EVERYWHERE...
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2008
1,879 Posts
Don't you just LOVE good news?
I think it happened for a couple of reasons.
First, it's obvious that FPV is here to stay.
Second, other countries are already ahead of the curve. The typical American line of thinking simply doesn't allow this...
And lastly, once someone actually SEES it, they get hooked because it's so stinking cool.

Based on all of the negative feedback we endured (and there was a lot, please send condolences to Patrick... ), it is not surprising that they initially took the stance of banning it. But EDUCATION is the thing that had the most effect, along with a concerted effort to dispel some of the common safety concerns.

Nobody should be dismayed about the buddy box rule. The previous rule (#10) was a much harder pill to swallow, right? This is a HUGE advancement! And it will give our hobby the exposure it needs to grow.

I'm sure all of the FPV vendors are jumping for joy right now, just like the rest of us are! This one small change will most likely increase FPV activity exponentially over the next year, and we will have trailer loads of usable data to present later when we petition to have the buddy box rule abolished.

The important thing to remember (and a quote from Patrick) is that if we had done nothing, the Feds would probably have shut us down eventually. The scope of the FAA's authority concerning private citizens and their property is second only to the IRS (in my opinion), and this milestone is like an anchor keeping us all from being dragged away by a large beurocracy.

Everybody should feel really good about this. Personally, I am proud to have been invited to join the effort. The others involved are really good guys and all of them deserve a nice pat on the back (that's a "pat", not a "Pat"... )
tvdude310 is offline Find More Posts by tvdude310
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:38 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Once again be polite. Remember you're now representing the face and future of FPV!
I will as always. Actually I have good relations with most of our club members and most of them like FPV(except couple of them). Our president is a great guy! I think he wished to let me fly FPV, but his hands were tied.
And the last thing I want to do is to make a bad reputation for FPV.
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Oct 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
FPV Flyer
Madrid, Spain
Joined Mar 2006
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdude310
Don't you just LOVE good news?
I think it happened for a couple of reasons.
First, it's obvious that FPV is here to stay.
Second, other countries are already ahead of the curve. The typical American line of thinking simply doesn't allow this...
Agree 100%, US fpv was getting a little behind from other countries, time to arrange your First National FPV Meeting guys .

Congrats
wavess is offline Find More Posts by wavess
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:26 PM
Larry
charlotte nc.
Joined Jul 2005
229 Posts
I would be glad to CD an FPV flyin/demo here in charlotte.
goliathman is offline Find More Posts by goliathman
Old Oct 31, 2008, 03:09 PM
UNREGISTERED USER :)
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Cool even thought it doesn't change the situation for me a slightest bit :P

I always was welcomed at my AMA field.. I have been a member for over 2 years and I'm just about to turn 17... This means I joined when I was 15.. I think the reason they like me is because I'm the youngest one there.. People there always called me the future of flying

I got signed off to fly alone just after one week.. and I have been flying many different types of planes since then.. Non FPV and FPV and following two rules "fly only after the flight line" and "Do not go over the rode".. Ahh also watch out for the frequencies.. Thats about all. I never have to have someone watching my plane and etc..

I'm very happy that AMA finally gave in and changed their mind and let us FPV on their fields

Damian
damian123 is offline Find More Posts by damian123
Old Oct 31, 2008, 03:10 PM
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavess
Agree 100%, US fpv was getting a little behind from other countries, time to arrange your First National FPV Meeting guys .

Congrats

OH YEAH! IM SIGNED UP FOR IT!!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 08:36 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,610 Posts
I've been talking with some freinds about adding FPV into their traditional Electric flyin. The field is about an hour from the DFW area and has excellent lines of sight into the flight area since most of the trees are only about ten feet tall. I'll post more details when available. This event is usually in early May. While a dedicated FPV event would be nice, due to the limitations on the number of availale Video Tx frequencies it may be hard to get people enough flight time at a dedicated FPV event.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:24 PM
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwh
...due to the limitations on the number of availale Video Tx frequencies it may be hard to get people enough flight time at a dedicated FPV event.

It has been down before. Its not all about flying yourself. Its more about meeting all the people you talk to here and its to see how others think about FPV..

Also whenever someone is flying you can tune in into a specific channel and enjoy the flight..
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:55 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian123
Also whenever someone is flying you can tune in into a specific channel and enjoy the flight..
Which is something a few of us did up in Rockville, MD this past Spring. Having the extra RX's on hand is great when you want to show off the equipment to other people. There are a few limitations on channels. I'm sure those can be overcome with some coordination and such. Don't forget you can still use 2.4ghz in a 72mhz plane!

The problem with a national FPV event is the size of the United States. I can see a few smaller events in different regions. A national event will take a little while to catch on.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 01, 2008, 12:00 AM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
how many channels are there available for video on 2.4ghz ??
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Nov 01, 2008, 12:57 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,365 Posts
Transmitter is shipped to US addresses with fixed CH1 (2410MHz)

Transmitter is shipped to US addresses with fixed CH2 (1280 MHz)

Transmitter is shipped to US addresses with fixed CH1 (910 MHz).
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2008, 01:10 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Transmitter is shipped to US addresses with fixed CH1 (2410MHz)

Transmitter is shipped to US addresses with fixed CH2 (1280 MHz)

Transmitter is shipped to US addresses with fixed CH1 (910 MHz).
Hmm... I wonder if the AMA can talk to the FCC about this?

Too early yet, I think.

I also think there are four 2.4 gHz channels and NO legal 1.2 gHz channels, though I am no expert here. Rangevideo's problems have already shown us that there is only one legal 900 mHz channel.

Of the four 2.4 gHz channels I think you have to be spaced two channels away to avoid interference, and 2.4 is getting to be a problem with all the RC tx's that use the same band.

The 5.8 gHz area seems to be forgotten for now. Excellent if you have LOS, but the signal can be stopped by trees. No personal experience here even though I have some 5.8 gear. I have not had the chance to try any of it.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Nov 01, 2008, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,365 Posts
That was from the RV web site.. I have the 5.8ghz RX and TX. I just haven't had the time to assemble the circuit for it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2008, 12:57 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,994 Posts
The FCC thing is a whole other battle
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Nov 02, 2008, 01:19 AM
New York
Joined Apr 2007
773 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget you can still use 2.4ghz in a 72mhz plane!
The problem with a national FPV event is the size of the United States. I can see a few smaller events in different regions. A national event will take a little while to catch on.

Thats exactly what I'm doing

The problem with the size huh? Well it would be kinda cool though and I think a lot of people would be interested in seeing so many people join together in one place at the same time sharing the same hobby