SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:52 AM
Flight Instructor
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2008
684 Posts
I don't know. this whole thing really takes the fun out of fpv flying. especially the greater than 1 mile crowd.
mspencer is offline Find More Posts by mspencer
Last edited by mspencer; Oct 30, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:56 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Plus doesn't the TrackR1-DIY version have this feature? I believe I read it in the manual for setting things up. I haven't tried it yet, but I might make a cable for it.
It does, but its not as 'advanced' as the TrackR2 version. The TrackR2 auto-detects incoming PPM polarity (increasing student Tx support), and is less sensitive to non-TTL signal levels (Some transmitters emit 3.3v levels, some 9.6v, etc).
The R2 also automatically switches between stand-alone and student/trainer mode when the trainer signal is detected, avoiding the need to play with the morse menu at the field.
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Oct 30, 2008, 04:07 AM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Woo Hoo!
Thank you everyone for your hard work on this. I know that Typicalaimster and Patrick to name a couple did a lot of work. I'm sure there are others that I'm not remembering, and of course... the participants of the forum.
Yes this is more restrictive than we would like, but it's a start. And there's nothing stopping us from flying as we do now at our current sites. If I want to further out or cut the umbilical cord from a buddy box, I only need to go to my usual sites.

Thanks again guys. It seems the AMA has a future after all if they show they listen to their membership.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
Old Oct 30, 2008, 04:46 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer
I don't know. this whole thing really takes the fun out of fpv flying. especially the greater than 1 mile crowd.
As before, there is nothing illegal about flying FPV beyond the AMA guide lines, it is just not supported by the AMA or covered by their insurance.

For me it is a plus since I can now fly FPV at my club field.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:31 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspencer
As Pete mentioned, there is nothing stopping you from flying on your own. Keep in mind if you fly at 30,000' and 12 miles out and the FAA says something to the AMA... The AMA is not going to cover you. A good number of us fly at AMA fields. For example this opens up 5 AMA clubs within 30 miles of me.

This will allow us to grow this part of the hobby. Many AMA fields hold fun fly events. Bringing a FPV plane to a funfly event will draw quite the crowd. As we draw those people in, we want to do so as safe as possible. Once again once we have a safe track record, we can revisit the guidelines.

Our goal was to get our foot in the door.. We accomplished that. Next was to get a slight rule change.. That's been done. Now that we're setting up our home within the AMA, we need to be good neighbors and keep the peace at all times. Let's work with the rules, and show every FPV is safe! Once people recognize FPV as a safe aspect of the hobby we can go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkworks2006
Thank you everyone for your hard work on this. I know that Typicalaimster and Patrick to name a couple did a lot of work. I'm sure there are others that I'm not remembering, and of course... the participants of the forum.
Patrick kinda pushed a teetering rock off the edge and kept it rolling down the hill.. Everyone can thank him for much of the guidance and motivation. Although he made everyone mad, he really motivated us to DO something. You can send him gifts of beer

Gary Evens, Pete Schug, Rob Day (TVDude), Brian Renegar (Twin Turbo), and I all played a major part bringing draft rules together and presenting them here, to the community. I don't believe anyone in this sub-group would be opposed to being the contact for issues moving forward.

I paid a visit to the AMA crew, Bliss Teague and Rich Hanson. These two put me in contact with the right people within the AMA. I lightly kept the ball rolling there. Send these two some FPV gear

Bob Underwood was working with David Gee (SP!) and the owner of Hobby Lobby who's name escapes me. They pretty much ran with this thing and kept it going. For those that don't remember.. David wrote the article in MA mag and was the one everyone was bashing in the hate thread. Be sure to send him some FPV gear, or a card to Tower Hobbies!

Dave Mathewson motivated the AMA to resolve the 'issue' with the AMA and FPV this year.

Dave mentioned the motion was heavily debated between all DVP's. He believes the vote was passed unanimously, but couldn't recall right off hand, after some convening of one of the DVP's. The meeting notes will reflect the vote once they have been posted. If that's the case, you can thank ALL of your DVP's representing YOU with their vote.

Of course the community was greatly involved. Without letters of support to your DVP's, it wouldn't have put FPV on the radar..
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Oct 30, 2008, 08:34 AM
Joined Mar 2008
71 Posts
Congratulations guys!

Let's see other countries follow now! Thanks!
flyerbr is offline Find More Posts by flyerbr
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:39 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
I think I'm still in shock that this actually passed! Yeah, so the rules are not exactly what we were hoping for (eg: requiring a buddy box). But hey, we can actually fly FPV at AMA fields now!! And I think that is a HUGE step forward!! As Scott mentioned, we've definitely got our foot firmly planted in the door now. Once we show a good, safe track record, we should be able to revisit the rules and possibly make some tweaks here and there.

As for the visual line of sight rule, well for flying at an AMA field, you really can't expect anything different than that. Normal flight ops at AMA fields are bound to specific flight areas. And so it's not surprising that FPV flights would be limited to at least the same area.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to flying FPV at my local AMA field. Just gota blow the dust off my plane!

Brian
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 30, 2008, 09:51 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,855 Posts
Thanks,
Typ did a lot of leg work including a trip to the Caerbannog in D.C. and Iím sure many hours on the telephone. This was no easy achievement, the conditions were right and there was a group willing to put differences aside for the cause.

As a group I would do some flying at the AMA fields to expose more people to FPV. The AMA has a safety committee meeting once a year, so every year you show FPV is safe you can petition the AMA for more freedom.

One other point about the AMAÖ
Iíve only been a member for a few months, but the change in attitude and direction with the new administration proves that you can work with them. With the less than favorable climate in D.C. it speaks volumes.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/Nov08/president.htm
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:32 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,231 Posts
Typicalaimster, thanks for the heads up on this great news. And thanks to everyone who helped get this passed.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2005
5,245 Posts
Thanks Patrick for the reminder! I just thumbed through the November issue of Model Airplane Mag. Once again no section on FPV!

Let's see if I can change that a bit. I'm writing up a article and submitting it to the editor of MA Mag. Let's see if I can get it posted. It's just a quick page on what FPV is and such!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:03 PM
Northern VA
Joined May 2007
296 Posts
Awesome stuff guys. Thank you to all involved in making this happen.
nathanj988 is offline Find More Posts by nathanj988
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:43 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Let's see if I can change that a bit. I'm writing up a article and submitting it to the editor of MA Mag. Let's see if I can get it posted. It's just a quick page on what FPV is and such!
That would be great! Would really help spread the word. It might also be of benefit to have a fairly detailed article on the specifics of FPV flight. People will see guys flying FPV at their local AMA field now. And to also read an article about how everything works would really get people interested.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Yahoooooooo. Does not affect me yet as I dont have my setup done yet but I wrote what I thought was a pretty good email to my local AMA rep.

I am actually surprised, very surprised. But I think they kind of had to do it when you figure what no action or dropping the hammer would have done.

Thanks to all involved.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:00 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
I am surprised too! Can imagine the faces of our club members which tried to prove me furiously that FPV is illegal (not only at AMA fields, but anywhere).
Thank you, guys.
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Oct 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokiii
Can imagine the faces of our club members which tried to prove me furiously that FPV is illegal...
Once again as we emerge out into the fields keep one thing in mind... Be friendly, be polite! There's going to be a bunch of misunderstanding due to lack of knowledge. We're only 48 hours into the change so expect some resistance. This is not a game of "I told you so". Be sure to keep those attitudes at home. Instead had them a copy of SC 550 and put on a big grin.

- Kindly explain to your clubs board of reps, or safety coordinator, FPV is NOW allowed by SC 550. You may want to send them a copy.

- LISTEN to what they have to say. Some clubs may have agreements with their landlord stating where the overfly area is located at. Talk to the safety coordinator and work out a flight zone with them! Be sure to avoid people and property!

- The CLUB owns the field, not the AMA. Therefore they'll dictate what activities can take place where and when. They will have final say if FPV is allowed.

Once again be polite. Remember you're now representing the face and future of FPV! Try to answer questions. Bad press gave FPV a bad name. Let's change that image!
RCG Plus Member