HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2008, 09:55 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,190 Posts
Discussion
The AMA and FPV...Supplement Code 550

Today the AMA has officially released its stance on FPV. This wouldn't of been possible without the countless efforts of our community. Many thanks to the RCG folks, The AMA and members of the EC that made it happen.

Yesterday I updated our US Guidelines for FPV in preparation. These guidelines include use of FPV craft at AMA fields. The AMA has narrowed it down to 4 of their own guidelines. This can be found as Supplement Code 550. You can find all the codes in PDF format on the AMA's web page.

This information is new and word trickles down slowly. I'd highly suggest working with your safety coordinator at your local AMA field regarding FPV. The new code will allow FPV at AMA fields, however 'No Fly Zone' restrictions may apply at certain fields. Usually these restrictions are due to a lease agreement stating where activity at the field will happen. Once again work with your fields safety officer!

During this trial period of these new rules FPV will be under the microscope. Keep this in mind and be on your best behavior when flying FPV at AMA fields. This trial period can, and probably will, be observed by the AMA, FAA and ARC committee! Once data has been collected on the safety and impact of FPV at AMA fields we can revisit the rules, and revise them, in the future.

FLIGHTS AT AMA SANCTIONED AIRFIELDS

Preface: Some AMA fields are located within congested or populated areas. Furthermore these sites may have contractual agreements with land owners restricting activity within a limited flight zone. These areas do not have the space requirements for FPV flying and should not be used. The AMA model aircraft Safety Code will apply at all times!

Quote:
1. An FPV-equipped model must be flown by two AMA members utilizing a buddy-box system. The pilot in command must be on the primary transmitter, maintain visual contact, and be prepared to assume control in the event of a problem
2. The operational range of the model is limited to the pilot in commandís visual line of sight as defined in the Official AMA Safety Code (see Radio Control, item 10).
3. The flight path of model operations shall be limited to the designated flying site and approved overfly area.
4. The model weight and speed shall be limited to a maximum of 10 pounds and 60 miles per hour.
Always keep in mind:
Flying FPV at a AMA field is a privilege and not a right! Please do not get into arguments regarding FPV at AMA fields. Arguing if you can fly FPV will only give FPV'ers a bad name!

So there you have it folks. That being said.. Who's wants to host the first FPV fun fly?
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by typicalaimster; Oct 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:20 AM
Sarnia Ont. Canada
Joined Jul 2005
325 Posts
THANKYOU all involved.
mdw21 is offline Find More Posts by mdw21
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
Very cool!

Great work!
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:39 PM
musicians can fly?
Seattle, WA
Joined Nov 2007
154 Posts
Wow. I never ever would have believed that this all could be accomplished inside the space of a single year, which it primarily has. Fantastic work everyone!

It's more restrictive than I would like in a few respects (ie: how does one utilize a headtracking device if the transmitter has a buddy box plugged into the trainer port?) but its an amazing opportunity to get our foot in the door.

Once again, thanks for all the hard work.

-ross
wyldryce is offline Find More Posts by wyldryce
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:48 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
This is great news!. I guess the 60mph limit rules out the FPV Funjets though :-)

Just a note on the headtracker/buddy setup, the TrackR2 does allow the 'bridging' of a master and student Tx, to support this configuration. The pan/tilt channels are mixed into the signal from the student box before being passed to the trainer.
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:00 PM
Sarnia Ont. Canada
Joined Jul 2005
325 Posts
This is great news!. I guess the 60mph limit rules out the FPV Funjets though :-)

1/2 throttle ?
mdw21 is offline Find More Posts by mdw21
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:09 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRC
Just a note on the headtracker/buddy setup, the TrackR2 does allow the 'bridging' of a master and student Tx, to support this configuration. The pan/tilt channels are mixed into the signal from the student box before being passed to the trainer.
Plus doesn't the TrackR1-DIY version have this feature? I believe I read it in the manual for setting things up. I haven't tried it yet, but I might make a cable for it.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:16 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw21

1/2 throttle ?
I think this is largely unenforceable except for blatant violations. Sixty mph is pretty fast for an easy star, though I am sure there are a few that can go sixty straight up. I'll have to clock mine one of these days. Maybe we can borrow the town's radar for an hour or so and see just how fast (or slow) these things go.

I bought a twister, still in the box. I guess I am not flying it FPV unless I do so slope soaring!

As Anthony points out, head tracking is still possible.

What I would like at this point is some really good goggles. I have yet to find goggles that are good under normal sunlit flying conditions. I can record pretty good video, but the ground looks black in my goggles.

Hmm... If I can resurrect my Eyetops I wonder if I can fly without the buddy box? I can follow the plane with one eye and glance at the Eyetops when needed, or visa versa. I only used them once, and hated them, but they have more adjustment than anything I've gotten my hands on since. I've been thinking of sawing them up and fitting the eyepiece to some cheap sunglasses, centered just below my right eye.

Pete
PeteSchug is online now Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:38 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Awesome job guys. Thanks!

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:50 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
Great news!
I don't like buddy box rule, but maybe I want too much now.
60mph rule is hard to control and is "artificial" for me. But idea of black-white-black color FPV police planes with light bar flying over the AMA field and bumping other planes for speeding looks interesting for me.
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,190 Posts
Well once again the Buddy Box rule is a small compromise for a HUGE leap forward. Yes it'll be a small inconvenience. Once we have a established safe track record we can revisit the buddy box rule.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:09 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2008
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Well once again the Buddy Box rule is a small compromise for a HUGE leap forward.
I agree.
sokiii is offline Find More Posts by sokiii
Old Oct 29, 2008, 02:21 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,153 Posts
Congratulations to all that made this happen. Also, I'm impressed that AMA moved so quickly on his issue and actually did listen to this section of the hobby. I definitely will renew my AMA membership now.

thanks again,

-tychoc
tychoc is offline Find More Posts by tychoc
Old Oct 29, 2008, 03:27 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
I think I will submit for my Park Flyer Membership now, maybe upgrade if I find a decent club.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 29, 2008, 09:07 PM
Larry
charlotte nc.
Joined Jul 2005
229 Posts
Congratulations for a job well done!
goliathman is offline Find More Posts by goliathman