HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by LittleG, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:52 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Discussion
Swyft 2 - My first Hand Launch Glider ever

After months of having this kit in the box, I finally started to build it after watching a video of emb145drvr fly his DLG... I saw how much fun emb145drver was having and, especially, seeing the big grin on his face when he caught the plane. The reason for the procrastination was because of the complex construction of Swyft 2. When I first saw the instructions for it, I said to myself, "Whoa! This is going to be one helluva difficult build and would take weeks to finish", so I decided just to put it off or until I had a reason to build it. Well, I have a reason to finish it now - can't have emb145drvr have all the fun.. The build actually went fairly easily after I got going with it, and it wasn't as complicated as thought it would be. The instruction is just very detailed, which is great because I learned a lot of building techniques, and the whole expericence turned out to be quite fun... Well, enough of me babbling... Here's a few photos of what I've completed so far.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; Oct 29, 2008 at 05:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:02 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Feb 2006
183 Posts
Looking good.
emb145drvr is offline Find More Posts by emb145drvr
Old Oct 31, 2008, 06:22 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
She finished!!!

Here she is finally finished after a long, arduous building process; and actually, soon after I had finished her, I maidened her with the CG not quite nailed down (tail-heavy), which was a big, big mistake and I should have known better. I don't know what I was thinking. I got too excited, I guess... When I gave her a light toss, she tucked right under. I thought it had too much elevator, so I compensated by trimming up; and tossed her again with the same result, tucking into the ground, but this time the tail boom broke off from the gusset and threw all the control linkages out of alignment ... I repaired her already and here are some photos. I added at least 10grams to the nose to achieve the correct CG and hopefully, she flies better than during the maiden flight.
Last edited by LittleG; Nov 01, 2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:40 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Sloping the Swyft2

Sloped the Swyft2 today and, boy, she sure can stay aloft for a long time in 5-6 mph winds... Launched her 7-10 times and each flying iteration probably lasted 5-7 minutes. It was great! Definitely hooked. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about replacing the battery every time you fly...

If I can convince my wife to come out with me, I'll try to get video footages next time I'm at "Stinky" Mountain.
Last edited by LittleG; Nov 03, 2008 at 09:16 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:52 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Short footage of the Swyft2 floating around

Got the Mrs. to film me while I tossed the Swyft2 around.

Swyft2 (1 min 26 sec)