HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:35 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,088 Posts
Build Log
AMX Light Attack Fighter Jet - Hobby Lobby

The AMX EDF arrived today. I love the color scheme on this model. It's well painted. Some shipping rash occurred due to a dumb packer at Hobby Lobby who scrunched a fan unit I ordered for another EDF on top of the fuse. Also be very careful when you open the box, the wing is taped to the top lid!! If you use a knife you could only guess what's going to happen.....

Here are some photos of the parts.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2008, 05:48 PM
Carteret, NJ
Joined Feb 2006
1,256 Posts
Looks cool Gary.

Do you think there will be any issues with those elevator and aileron servos catching in the grass at the field? It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Chris
cje0114 is offline Find More Posts by cje0114
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:50 PM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Did you complain to HL.
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Oct 28, 2008, 07:10 PM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,071 Posts
Man,I like this one!I want one bad!
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:01 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
WOOHOOO!!! So what is the bottom ESC/battery hatch made of? How is it held on to the model?

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:27 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
WOOHOOO!!! So what is the bottom ESC/battery hatch made of? How is it held on to the model?

Doubletap
The bottom is to house your RX. The battery goes under the canopy. I didn't go through the manual much, I was curious if I could get to the fan which you cannot, they glued the rear in place. So it's going to be a bit messy if you want to replace it. Enclosed is a photo from the manual showing the fan. FYI the fan in the photo is clearly not the same fan included.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:15 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
What kind of glue is it?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:13 AM
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Aug 2008
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
The bottom is to house your RX. The battery goes under the canopy. I didn't go through the manual much, I was curious if I could get to the fan which you cannot, they glued the rear in place. So it's going to be a bit messy if you want to replace it. Enclosed is a photo from the manual showing the fan. FYI the fan in the photo is clearly not the same fan included.

If this isn't your first EDF, how does the quality compare to what else you've seen? When's the maiden?!
BadClams is offline Find More Posts by BadClams
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:42 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadClams
If this isn't your first EDF, how does the quality compare to what else you've seen? When's the maiden?!
I have an Alfa Mig 15, Kyosho Illusion, Fantom and a dead Firebird. The Illusion is the best quality being a fiberglass fuse but very pricey and too small. The worst buy is the Mig, that thing is super flimsy and breaks very easily.

All fly very well, but you need a hand launcher that understands how to throw them. I am not capable of throwing well with my left hand. I have had several disasters depending on who launches my EDF's.

I think from first impressions the AMX looks very nice. I love the detailed paint job. It is very solid foam that should take a moderate hit. There is no way to tell how the fan/motor will hold up. That was a real disappointment on my Illusion, less than 8 flights and the impeller blew up. What a mess that caused. It is still sitting in my garage awaiting an upgraded fan.

As for the maiden well I am a slow builder. I will start nibbling away at it but first impressions is the included 1300 lipo is too small. I will probably try to find a way to get a FMA 2100 in there. Also I don't see any vents to get air over the battery. (I need to confirm this) I probably will punch a couple of holes through the front to get some air in there.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 09:45 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
The "worst buy" is the Mig, yet you've had 3 of them.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:08 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchy1
The "worst buy" is the Mig, yet you've had 3 of them.
Not exactly the fault of the Mig when you have a RX die in flight and the other takes off from the parking lot due to a brain phart
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:59 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,618 Posts
The Mig is a great flying plane though...very "slippery" and retains energy very well!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2008, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2008
180 Posts
Mig 15 is the worst???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring
I have an Alfa Mig 15, Kyosho Illusion, Fantom and a dead Firebird. The Illusion is the best quality being a fiberglass fuse but very pricey and too small. The worst buy is the Mig, that thing is super flimsy and breaks very easily.
Well, all alfa planes, not ony the Mig 15, are fragile.
Take good care of, be gentle with them and
the reward is more than great.

The Mig 15 is the best of the alfa bunch:
Taking off from grass, very docile in the air...
What else do we want....?
firebirdfly is offline Find More Posts by firebirdfly
Old Oct 29, 2008, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
18 Posts
i used the included glue and 2 days later it has NOT DRIED YET, its also MELTING THE FOAM!! Please USE EPOXY instead!! WARNING
NJAIRSTRIKE is offline Find More Posts by NJAIRSTRIKE
Old Oct 30, 2008, 06:20 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Jun 2001
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAIRSTRIKE
i used the included glue and 2 days later it has NOT DRIED YET, its also MELTING THE FOAM!! Please USE EPOXY instead!! WARNING
That is good to know, I was not going to use it anyways, I think it's silly to include glue that has no description on it. Did you use any extra wooden dowels/bamboo skewers to help strengthen the wing when joining it to the fuse?