HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:32 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Discussion
Trex450 and Multiplex Royal Evo 9 setup Q's

Is anyone flying their Trex on a Royal Evo 9? What sort of pitch curves are you using? I keep seeing 5 point curves but this thing has 6 and it's giving me fits!!!

Any other setup tips? I'm pretty new to helis and not too sure about what I'm doing to setup this radio. I don't have any problems with gliders and planks.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2008, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2 Posts
hi Tag.
I just set up a micro heli on my royal evo9. Getting a heli set up is very different from a soarer or plank.
I wasted about 10 hours by missing steps out of the programming process. In the end I started again after reading the Multiplex manual sections one word at a time - and then, following the steps deliberately very, very slowly to ensure I didn't deviate or miss anything out, I had the basics programmed in about 30 minutes!
Some tips I came across:
First, select e-ccpm as your swashplate type, not mechanical swash. Then...
1. if your aileron channels are reversed, DON'T try to reverse the servos. Instead, swap the two channels the servos use. If you try to reverse any of the servos you'll muddle the controls and end up thinking your mode2 setup is more like mode 3. The whole swash will completely go out of sync.
2. if your pitch servo is at the rear of the swash, set your swash setting to minus 120 degrees (royal evo default is plus 120 deg. This should avoid the problems with 1, above.
3. The swash setup on mine was massively over-driving the servos and they were stalling at about 30% stick movement. I cut my swash max throws down to about 40% of full available mechanical throw. Check the model's instructions and set to its recommended throws to get you the blade pitch angles (and buy a pitch gauge - most useful).
5. Set the throttle curve to 0, 50, 90, 90, 90 (and 90, if a 6-point throttle curve - I can't remember without going to look and it's raining!) and you should get a hover at 50 to 60% throttle. If you're using -2 deg to +12 deg for your blade pitch min and max throws the heli may be quite sensitive and climb very quickly as you add throttle. You will also see the heli try to drive itself into the ground at below about 45% throttle but that keeps it on the floor imho! You can always change the curve later.
4. After checking all the movements were correct I added 30% exponential to all the stick movements to tame them - very small moves give you gib responses otherwise.
5. The tail may spin if your tail rotor pitch is out - just zero it in on the digi trims and then adjust it mechanically later.
Basically, follow the manual very, very VERY closely and you'll be okay.
Oh, and Joedy Druela did create a heli programming tutorial to accompany his plank one. But the only version I have found is in German. I began translating it but after re-reading the manual didn't need it.
Good luck - and if you need them I can give you my programming settings for my Twister Storm.
jandude is offline Find More Posts by jandude
Last edited by jandude; Nov 07, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: missed a step out of the advice
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:11 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I actually finally did get it. The only thing I'm having a problem with now is the gyro but it's because I don't really understand exactly how it should be setup. I just this Tuesday have gotten this thing flyable. Man, what a difference.

Thanks again
Tag
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2008
2 Posts
sounds like you're doing okay, then.
The gyro - not really messed with that yet so not really qualified to comment. But on my Blade cx2 turning up the gain made the tail lock and quite unresponsive whilst turning it down meant it never stabilised. I guess the same principle applies but I've not had to make an adjustment out of the box!
Happy hovering...

btw - have you sent your royal evo off for the upgrade or aren;t you going to bother? Not really considered it yet but may send it off so I can go 2.4ghz next year.
jandude is offline Find More Posts by jandude
Old Nov 07, 2008, 04:24 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
I probably will eventually update it (don't think they're doing it yet) but I really have no desire to go to 2.4.

I have the latest version of the tutorial and it has the heli section in it and it's in English. Maybe it wasn't/isn't available separately.

Thanks again
Tag
Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Hey guys - I know its been a while but...............
I have a copterx 450 Heli - and Im trying to set it up on my Royal EVO 7. For some reason I cant get the throttle to work. If I go into monitor I can push sliders and move pitch all day long and I never see the throttle move.
I tested the ESC by throwing it on the gyro slider and it works fine.
So any idea what Im missing?
Thanks,
Scott
Scott Seidler is offline Find More Posts by Scott Seidler
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:04 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Throttle kill switch? Also, on the EVO 9, You have one of your two sliders, mine is on "F" , that work as sort of a governor. You have to have that moved up in order for the throttle to work with the stick.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:11 PM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Is there a throttle kill switch? I see throttle cut switch (h) that lowers 3 when you press it.
Slider F up? Doesnt seem to matter....
Im just watching the monitor screen making these changes and 3 just will not move............

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Scott,
Do you happen to have a copy of the "Tutorial" by Joedy? If not, it's like a bible for an Evo owner.

Make sue widget "n" is in the up position and then try the "f" slider up and then your pitch stick.
Tag
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
Also, have you flown electrics with this radio? Is your Throttle cut in a momentary or an on/off mode?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 09:39 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
975 Posts
http://mpx.speedkom.net/cms/vorschau...2_tutor_gb.pdf
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:22 AM
Jack's Kid
USA, NJ, Kinnelon
Joined Aug 2006
663 Posts
Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this..........
I only have flown gliders with the radio.
I checked the monitor and pushing the throttle cut does lower the number 3 servo in my monitor screen - but only as long as you hold the button.
I should mention mine is an EVO 7 - not upgraded yet. So there are some presets that I cant change.
I tried it again with the throttle down and the kill switch pressed - get lots of beeps - but it wont set.
I also moved the throttle over to a slider - and it will spin up on that one. So its something to do with this channel.
I am going to dig out the manual and check it over - also I might start again from scratch on this.......

-Scott