HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,612 Posts
Yep, the Turnigy 1640 is about as close to the -26 as you will get.

Depends on the crash of course. If the blade doesn't hit that hard, it may not break. Plastic has seemed to take a little more abuse, but you need to watch out after crashes to check for hairline cracks...

The pinions will strip to save the rest of the components...

Both are good choices!
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2009, 07:52 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
LA Heli , in there own words regarding the Maxir / Ricco design:

We build our machines with experience and love. All the members of our team Ė the company owner, the manufacturing workforce, the designer and the webmaster Ė all fly our helicopters almost every day. Every team member is capable of flying at least standard aerobatics. Yes, itís true, we don't employ anybody, who cannot at least fly loops, rolls and stall turns! Because we fly the machines ourselves, we have a constant flow of information for hints and improvements. All of us want to fly a perfect machine, but we donít make changes just for our own use. Every improvement, as it is verified, is brought into standard production. Consequently, we fly standard machines without any factory special parts.

We take maximum care to optimize the construction. Even in the basic version of the MaxiR, our models have many standard features which are available only as optional tuning on competing products. Indeed, most of our tuning items donít affect flight performance, as our machines donít need such modifications! Most of our tuning parts are either "look-nice" or longevity features.

A key objective of our construction is to minimize crash damage, as crashes happen to every model heli pilot. Consequently, we introduced the programmed crash feature. If a helicopter hits something solid (like the earth), it is inevitable that some parts will break. In our design, the first parts to break are cheap and easy to replace, thus sparing the more expensive parts in the core from major crash forces. These expendable parts work like an electrical fuse in case of short circuit.

For example: If the rotor stops suddenly, the inertia of the spinning motor will inevitably break some gear teeth. We designed our plastic motor pinions to break before the more expensive and hard to replace main gear teeth are be damaged. Therefore you should never replace the plasitic pinion with a metal one, or you are likely soon to need a new main gear. The same philosophy applies to the construction of the rotor head and tail drive.

To keep all movement smooth and durable, we provided the basic version of the MaxiR with 21 ball bearings. For full tuning you can use as many as 25 bearings.

Molded frame parts allow the servos to be mounted with screws (rather than cutting off the lugs and gluing the servos in place, as is common in competing machines). The tail rotor servo mounts can be slid along the tailboom, making fine tuning easy. All aspects of the construction allow damaged parts to be replaced using just a screwdriver and Allen wrench. In particular, no glue is involved in replacing the tail boom, repairing the main or tail gearing, or replacing head parts. The battery holder can be moved on the frame to adjust the center of gravity.

The tempered main shaft, in combination with the durable head, make the core of the helicopter almost unbreakable. In the case of a crash, the parts that usually break are cheap and easy to replace plastic items. The head itself is rigid and all moving parts work smoothly.

Likewise, the tail rotor assembly was carefully designed for smooth movement with minimal clearances. The construction employs miniature ball bearings in the blades holders and a pitch control lever that moves moves on precision bearings. Plastic or carbon composite blades are lightweight and durable. All aspects of the construction are designed to eliminate vibration and help to keep gyro sensitivity high in order to ensure smooth control even in 3D maneuvers.

The lexan cabin helps to keep the weight low, but is incredibly durable in crashes.
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Mar 01, 2009, 11:58 PM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
raynet11,

I'm sold! Thanks for posting that.

Guess I better read the LAHeli site more carefully next time! Good info.

pwkpete,

Thanks for your answer.
mrbubbs is offline Find More Posts by mrbubbs
Old Mar 02, 2009, 07:45 AM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
Too bad, but I am not at this time...
Pete doesn't have the Black Ricco SE in stock and I can hardly find any other dealer so my next project are these 2:

http://rtfelectric.co.uk/index.php?m...roducts_id=100
http://rtfelectric.co.uk/index.php?m...products_id=97

They are extremely stable and the head has absolutely 0 slop!!!! They look a bit unconventional but they are great quality!! I have the longer CF tail boom with 350CF blades on my pro. Will use the wood blades on these 2.....

After I finish them I will check the Ricco SE again......

I already have a Mars 480CF PRO edition but these kits were so extremely cheap that I couldn't resist!
Flying Dutchy is offline Find More Posts by Flying Dutchy
Old Mar 02, 2009, 08:25 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Gazuar series Dutchy, that is one sweet build I know more then a few people who are very pleased with their ownership and the unique design and look are icing on the cake.

The Ricco and Maxir owners aren't going anywhere any time soon so we'll see you the next time around ..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,284 Posts
The Black Ricco's are in stock here:
http://www.gothelirc.com/shopdisplay...its+%2D+Laheli

Pete is the NA distributor, and I probably took all his
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:40 PM
Joined May 2007
363 Posts
Whoo hoo! I just picked up a red Ricco SE from Pete. Now I play the shipping waiting game. (got a gyro and rx coming from ebay seller)
mrbubbs is offline Find More Posts by mrbubbs
Old Mar 02, 2009, 12:51 PM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
I saw that website but that is the normal version and I was looking for the SE version......

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle

Flying Dutchy is offline Find More Posts by Flying Dutchy
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:53 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,284 Posts
It's now a feature selection for the regular Ricco kits, and you just select the "SE" version for an additional $20. The main blades and paddles are swapped out for the CF and 3D versions when you click that option.
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Last edited by RotorCycle; Mar 02, 2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added SE upgrade price
Old Mar 02, 2009, 06:09 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle

Outstanding service from gothelirc I might ad, I had to be one of the first kids on the block with a Ricco and gothelirc had my order picked packed and shipped, can't beat it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2009, 07:18 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbubbs
Whoo hoo! I just picked up a red Ricco SE from Pete. Now I play the shipping waiting game. (got a gyro and rx coming from ebay seller)
You may get it tomorrow, many of my shipments to MI make it overnight... Worst case is Wed
Old Mar 04, 2009, 08:48 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Does the base Maxir or the Ricco, set up with 3d paddles and fg blades and same motor (say an axi-20) fly 3D as well as a Maxir SE?
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw
Old Mar 04, 2009, 10:00 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
yes
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Mar 04, 2009, 10:15 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,612 Posts
Yeah, they are essentially the same machine.

Maxir, old servo geometry and FG frames
Maxir SE, alu frames, old servo geomerty

Ricco, new (improved) servo geometry - alu frames on both base and SE and misc upgrades
Old Mar 04, 2009, 10:29 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Pete, you should rephrase "new (improved) servo geometry on the Ricco.. It's perfect geometry with maximum swash plate deflection achieved with ease..

There is just something about the Ricco, the head design allows for silly pitch, I don't think I have ever seen such an easy to setup head.

You know what I mean, when your building a heli you always want that 50% pitch curve point = to 90DEG swash servo arms = to 0DEG pitch. Then I always want at least -11 DEG to + 11 DEG.. It seems I always had to mess with link lengths and putz around, it was never a huge time killer but some helis were a bear to deal with for this process (my initial Hornet build comes to mind) .

Maybe I'm older and wiser when it comes to builds but I don't think it's just me, this is such a well designed well thought out heli..

Where is my Sniper V2?
RCG Plus Member