to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:04 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
On these observations my Turnigy 1650 Kv motor is more like 1450 Kv . Yes it fly's just fine with plenty of power, runs about as warm as the Axi 2208/20 on 4s (x-3d-xl) but I'd still like the numbers to add up more closely.
Hehe, that's why I've stopped recommending motors in general unless I've used them myself, I've found the "inexpensive" motor manufacturers seem to almost guess at their numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Oh and the head damping seem a little bouncy if you start jabbing the cyclic around. Feels very nice to fly though, I'm still impressed with the handling and glad I got a Ricco SE .
That's why I went with the fuel tube silicon solid dampers .

Oh, I forgot to mention, yesterday I had my MaxiR cut out in flight... This time with an overheated Axi 2208/20 ... inverted.... only 5ft up.... Thank god it's a MaxiR, no time to flip it over, but I was able to mini-auto and kill enough headspeed that there was zero damage . I guess I need to be an indian giver and ask my buddy Alex for my Axi 2208 bolt on fan back (ESC was cool, but the motor was too hot to hold).

Does anyone know of a US source for those little Axi centrifugal cooling fans (that bolt to the bell, I don't remember where I got mine at , and gave it away to a buddy for use on his Hornet a long time ago since "I didn't think I would need it"). The LAheli part number is N8910: http://www.laheli.com/web/product.ph...I%202208%20fan.

Pete or Lee, would you guys mind ordering a few, I want at least 2 of them.

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:09 PM
Tenerife,Canary Islands
Joined May 2004
1,669 Posts
Kai ,donīt you think its time for a 2212 ............
chichisport is offline Find More Posts by chichisport
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:37 PM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined May 2003
917 Posts
it looks like esprit and hobby-lobby has the fans for the 22XX motors. i've been thinking of trying this myself.
hornet_dave is offline Find More Posts by hornet_dave
Old Aug 02, 2009, 02:03 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_dave
it looks like esprit and hobby-lobby has the fans for the 22XX motors. i've been thinking of trying this myself.
Ahh, you're right, I kept searching for axi 2208 fan and kept getting 12 pages of hits for everywhere a 2208 would work, LOL.

That's the downside of the Hyperion packs, they put out so much power throughout the flight that I'm really finding my Axi running hot by the end (I've been having to give it time to cool back down before going back up). I think that the fan will be enough to bring it back to the point where I can fly continuously without heat buildup (that and a cooler motor will keep the efficency higher so it should maintain more power at the end of the pack).

It only took 5min of hard flying for the ESC to loose sync with the motor (heat climbs, motor resistance goes up, eventually the ESC can't tell the position of the motor anymore). Yesterday it was the very first flight of the day with a 1100mah "practice" pack, so the weight of the heli was up 20gr, and the ambient temp was 90deg.

I think I bought the fan at the same time as the hollow shaft Axi I bought on sale, but at the time (winter) the motor was coming down cool every time so I decided not to mount it up (it's exceptionally light, at first I thought it was plastic, but it's actually anodized aluminum, so it should act as a heat sink as well). For some reason, at the time I thought the extra weight (minimal), and air drag would make the heli fly heavier with less power, but now I'd be happy enough if it just continues flying no matter how hard I push it (and I think I was overbloating the drag/weight effects it would have at the time).

Edit: For those wondering what Dave and I are talking about, here's a link to it: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cooler_fo..._3005_prd1.htm

-Kai

P.S. chichisport, I'm quite happy with the power I've got, the 2212 IMHO is overkill (yes, my 4s setup was overkill before, but now we're getting the same power out of the 2208/20 with newer packs, OMG the light weight of the 850's is killer).
Old Aug 02, 2009, 02:41 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden
For those wondering what Dave and I are talking about, here's a link to it: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cooler_fo..._3005_prd1.htm
Oooh, neat. I'll be ordering one of those since I've noticed my AXI getting pretty toasty too. Darn 100F ambient temps!

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Aug 02, 2009, 03:44 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
In prep for the build videos I plan on doing, I figure you guys might want to see my "ghetto" balancing tools.

I use an old Maxir plastic head as the balancing core (with four 3x6x2.5 bearings that are old, but not notchy) pressed into the head block, then clamped in my vice.

A spare 3mm spindle as the axle for balancing mainblades to each other (with an M2x12 bolt and two washers to bind the blades together)

The back of a #11 exacto blade to find the mainblade lengthwise CG (also clamped into the vice, blade edge down, I figure the width of an exacto blade is as thin as I can make a mark anyways, so why fight trying to balance the blade on the sharp edge of the exacto)

And for tail blades, I put in a spare tail slider core (2mm to 3mm adapter basically), and the M2x12 screw + a nylock to hold the blades together.

I plan on documenting this process on video once I get more dynamic lighting setup (currently I still have to set pics up static).

Edit: forgot to put in the pics of how to use the #11 exacto blade (for finding the spanwise CG), those are attached now.

-Kai

P.S. After flying in the heat yesterday, I'm chilling in my daylight basement shop (nicely around 60 to 70deg all year round )
Last edited by Kai_Shiden; Aug 02, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:27 PM
Joined Jul 2009
89 Posts
Ahh, so that's how you balance the blades...I was never able to find a blade balancer that fits the maxir blades.

By the way , found why I had only 25 degrees pitch on tail both sides...turns out that the flat plastic part that holds the 2 pins was a little shorter compared with the newer version. I installed one and finally have my 43 degress+ on both sides.

Today My esc cut in the air (cc10). I tried it with the 2208-20.
It was good until I reprogrammed my gyro csm 560. Maybe the tail servo draw too much amp with new setup (s3154). The tail flap 2 times on the side, the heli starts turning (tail servo cuts) and finally the esc throttle cut.

Could be the tail servo, or the bec

I will put an external bec on it. Is there someone who ever tried this one?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

It seems a little weak though. (1,25 amp)

Is threre a 3 amp bec enough light for the Maxir?

Pat
Probicha is offline Find More Posts by Probicha
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:33 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
That's one way (and good too). If you have 2mm threaded rod, you can just bolt them together and let it sit on a vice (or something that can support both sides of the rod. Kai just happens to have an extra head lying around
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:36 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
Look like you guys found the fan, so I'll leave it to you... Email if you still are in need.

Our temps here have been 6-7 degrees below normal... So much for global warming... No need for cooling fans...
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:56 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probicha
I will put an external bec on it. Is there someone who ever tried this one?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm
Pat, that's the one I'm using on mine (with all digital servos). It's got plenty of output, and works even in the blistering heat we've had here this year.

-Chris
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:59 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
That's one way (and good too). If you have 2mm threaded rod, you can just bolt them together and let it sit on a vice (or something that can support both sides of the rod. Kai just happens to have an extra head lying around
Hehe, luckily, there are a bunch of places on the MaxiR/Ricco that those 6mm OD bearings are used, old broken mainblade grips and mainshaft blocks can also be used (also, a broken head or blade grips off a BladeCP and Blade400 also uses 6mm OD).

But yeah, having an extra plastic MaxiR head laying around was just lucky for me . Plus, I like being creative in my use of spare/left over parts (the extra spindle for example, is just spare part I keep on hand anyways).

Probicha, I thought you were going to ditch the S3154 tail servo, I didn't post my settings for use with that servo (they are far too aggressive for it)... Ditch the S3154 on the tail (or at least kick it down to analog refresh rates), the longer you keep it on your heli, the higher the odds are that you are going to break significant parts (ie, if you keep that servo on, it's inevitable that it's going to cause you to crash at some point).

I used to use a ParkBEC & PHX-10, I believe that JustPlaneChris is using one currently, mine was trouble free but we're definetly pushing it's limits (especially with a full house digital MaxiR/Ricco).

-Kai
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:47 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,505 Posts
Apparently the ParkBEC is under-rated, because I've used it all the way up to 450 size helis without issue.

I just set up my Ricco to fly on my DX6i, that way I can build a travel box with everything in it for those "grab and go" flying sessions. Since it has only two flight modes, there is no "normal" mode. "Normal" is the old ST-1, and "stunt" is the old ST-2. Who flies in normal mode, anyway?

Say, do you think there's going to be room for that cooling fan on the Ricco? The motor is very close to the CF plate on the bottom.

-Chris
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:51 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Yeah, I think the ParkBEC is under-rated for safety, admittedly even fullhouse digital on my MaxiR pulls up to 1.75A peaks, but averages only 0.5A, so the peaks are probably short enough that it would handle it fine.

The fan was close on my MaxiR which is one of the reasons I originally didn't go with it, but now I have my rear LG raised, so I'm pretty sure it will clear now (I used Sniper tail fin spacers between the triangle and the skid supports), also make sure the CF plate is on the bottom of the skid supports. IMHO even it if requires spacing the CF plate further down, it will be worth it.

-Kai
Old Aug 02, 2009, 09:22 PM
USA, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined May 2003
917 Posts
I haven't run the CF plate for the last year. It seems fine without it.
hornet_dave is offline Find More Posts by hornet_dave