SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:21 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle
Nice Kai - did you smack off the head button at the 4:56 mark?? That impressive enough to attempt on purpose
Honestly, it happened so fast I had to watch the video to know for sure what happened . I just reacted to running out of space while doing that stuttering rainbow across the hangar, if only I had just rebounded the rainbow back across (instead I backflipped out of it, and turned it into REALLY running out of space), I would have been able to claim it was intentional .

-Kai

P.S. At tomorrow's indoor, I'm not going to fly the MCX between Maxir flights, doing that kept making me shaky during the Maxir flights .
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:27 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Great job guys, this heli is just to good to have such a small distribution, if you guys can put together a nice entry level ARF package that would be a winner in my book.
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Nov 04, 2008, 09:42 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,287 Posts
That's really tough since the MaxiR / Ricco attract more experienced pilots looking for a premium micro, and they usually have specific preferences. It's not uncommon for pilots to step up through the ARF ranks of Kings, Blades, HoneyBee's before deciding engineering and low disc loading are what is missing.

They want THIS cyclic servo, and THAT tail servo, with THIS ESC, and it must have THAT gyro to give them a feeling of bliss

But we are trying to make an array of nice servos available, along with a few low-cost motor and power system alternatives. It does seem to be a "builders" model.

The new $50.00 build service completes the airframe and balances the blades, but then it's left to the pilot to choose components.

But hey...if feedback starts to come in about a specific RTF configurations (and more than 2-people agree), we're always open to suggestions
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Nov 04, 2008, 10:23 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,614 Posts
Lee and I are getting the motor/ESC now, but IMHO the best ESC is the Spin 11 for this model and it brings the kit to a pricier level. Lee and I are stocking servos, so other than gyro and RX, we can put together a reasonably priced package....

pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Nov 05, 2008, 12:25 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
I mentioned this in the Maxir build thread, but neglected to mention it here.

LAheli answered the question about where the new Ricco falls in the base vs SE lineup.... by announcing the Ricco SE

http://www.laheli.com/web/product.ph...search=Y%25740

Quote:
- very light lexan canopy
- carbon main blades
- 3D paddles
I do think it's funny that they are all listed as red kits though

What does that mean to everyone else who wants a Ricco? It means that there are more options when purchasing. Standard Ricco with plastic main blades, conventional paddles, and heavier plastic canopy, for those who want a tamer heli (calmer behavior in wind as well as being good for those nearer to the beginning end of the learning curve), and Ricco SE for those who want to go to a wilder setup from the start.

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Nov 05, 2008, 05:37 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
That is good news, I'm sure some of these bolt on items will end up on my Ricco as time goes on , if nothing else I love to try different blades and paddles on all my helis (SAB, Radix, and MAH are particular favorites).

So now that LA Heli is done poking around with the Ricco I assume they will get back on track in working to bring the Sniper V2 to light. I'm kinda in a holding pattern waiting to make a build decision between a Logo 500 and Sniper V2 but obviously it's better to do research and comparison once the final product is released (in this case the Sniper V2)

The Ricco has given me bias goggles so it's going come down to a sheer numbers game first then emotion and heli lust 2nd..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
Bare frame weight vs Hornet X3D:

Just finished throwing one of my Hornet X3D's together and remembered that I wanted to get a bare frame weight to compare it to my Ricco.

Hornet X3D (BB / no blades) = 128g
Ricco (BB / no blades) = 126g

almost an identical starting point, one can see why the extra disk size of the Ricco pays off in the performance department.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2008, 08:57 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
I will be ordering a new Ricco SE tomorrow. Looks like it will come with a metal head and carbon blades/paddles. Anyone know the wt difference between the metal head and the plastic one? Does the metal one have tighter tolerances than the plastic? I do understand that the maxir plastic had two piece grips verses one piece for the Ricco.

This will be my first Ricco/Maxir.
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Nov 28, 2008, 08:22 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
To my knowledge the difference between the standard and SE is the metal head block (not sure if this is a worth while upgrade) and the CF blades and paddles (worth while).

I'm very pleased with my standard Ricco , I did order a set of FG blades but to be honest I still use the plastic blades if it's windy out.

I don't think you can go wrong with either unit but you won't be shortchanged if you go for the standard over the SE.

cheers,
Ray
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:53 AM
Bird of Pray
The Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
673 Posts
Anybody received/built a Ricco SE already?
Flying Dutchy is offline Find More Posts by Flying Dutchy
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:11 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,614 Posts
Hello FD,

There is no difference to building a regular vs SE Ricco!

The SE has a metal head, CF main and tail blades, 3D paddles and a clear lexan canopy whereas the Ricco base has plastic head, plastic main and tail blades, the heavy paddles and a white plastic canopy. That's all, everything goes together the same.

HTH,
-P
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:37 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
I remember you guys going into some debate a long time ago about the metal head block verses the plastic one. If I remember correctly everyone came to the conclusion that the only real argument for the metal head is that it looks prettier then the plastic and costs some points on the scale.

The 3D CF bits and lexan canopy do sound very appealing though.. I purchased the FG blades for my Ricco after the initial build and I'm still itching to pickup one of those pretty painted canopies that you started stocking after my initial build.

I think my Ricco handles very well with the FG blades and stock paddles, it must really be quick on the cyclic with the 3D paddles.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:44 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,614 Posts
It's crazy fast with the CF blades and 3D paddles... I normally fly with the FG's, but when I put on a set of CF's, it's like wow. You can tell the difference in stiffness and the extra speed.

Now, I don't know if there was some change in material with the plastic heads of old vs. more recently - I put my Ricco (my original kit was a base model with plastic head) in real hard late last summer and after that I couldn't get it to track anymore. I must have hit so hard that I ovalized the plastic head where the main shaft sits, it was loose. I never had that happen with any of the previous heads, but again, I don't know if that was just a really hard and pointed crash... I always liked the plastic heads, they are light and it was hard to tell any difference between it an alu, but I switched to the alu head after that...
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:29 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,134 Posts
I build to fly.. I usually sort the crashing part afterwards and 99.9% of the time if it worked before I stick with it. Eye candy is nice though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:34 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,614 Posts
I hear ya!

I swapped the plastic head out for a black alu one so you really can't see any eye candy My CF Maxir now has the silver aluminum - that's the silver and black CF beastie - but I'll probably swap it to CF Ricco frames at some point, I like the servo geometry a bit better...