HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaw
Thanks. A friend at work just recommended harbor freight. Never heard of it.
I would want a vice that has a smooth surface, right?
I use a little trick while pressing my RC stuff in general, I'm always fearful of causing damage while clamping or pressing so I have to two blocks of soft pine that I use. Instead of clamping with the metal I put the blocks of wood in the vice and then the parts I want press or clamp in between, so far none of my parts have dents or teeth marks from the vice..
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,612 Posts
How about using a C-clamp. I used to use one to press in my one-way bearings on my trex450 helis.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:15 AM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,610 Posts
It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, you aren't putting that much pressure on it.
Back in the day, I just lined it up (got it seated) and tapped it in with a hammer...

But the vice is a handy tool to have around!
pwkpete is online now Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:11 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth, you aren't putting that much pressure on it.
Back in the day, I just lined it up (got it seated) and tapped it in with a hammer...

But the vice is a handy tool to have around!
Hammer?! I guess my gentle methods were spawned from working on my fragile Hornets.. lol.. Hammer + Hornet = DOH !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:14 AM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,610 Posts
LOL, I can relate/recall
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,612 Posts
I can remember a few people who wanted to "take a hammer" to their Hornets back in the day It is nice to see that things have come a long way since then.

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Apr 03, 2009, 12:54 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
I think Pete and I are one of the few guys left on RCG who have crossed over to the Ricco / MaxIR land with great joy but still have the old Hornets left in our hangers.. lol.

My Hornet X3D is great flying bird after your willing to spend the countless hours to get it perfect , well that is until you crash and have to do it all over again.. I have 3 Hornet X3D kits left in my stock pile, I use mine as lazy cruiser yard birds. My hard flying is done on the Ricco , on calm days of course , it's still a micro after all.

What a transition though , I had the Hornet state of mind as far as build and setup goes when I ordered my Ricco. I was very surprised when the build and setup turned out to be much easier then I was expecting. Simplicity and intelligent design principles make ownership a breeze..

My Ricco is as lively in the air when it comes to 3D at 2500RPM as my Hornet was at 2800RPM , and the long flight times, well it just doesn't all seem possible but there you have it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 03:58 PM
Too slow for 3D
United States, CA, Hydesville
Joined Oct 2005
176 Posts
You guys aren't the only ones who still have hornets. I have an x-3d and an HII
K.Lund is offline Find More Posts by K.Lund
Old Apr 03, 2009, 04:32 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
So now they come out of the woodwork.. !!! Thanks for checking in..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 05:28 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,610 Posts
Actually, if you look in the first few pages of the Maxir construction thread, you'll see what happened to my Hornet 2's after flying the Maxir
Old Apr 03, 2009, 07:08 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,282 Posts
The Hornet I gave my brother is setting on his bookcase in pristine condition. And it will stay that way (as a static model) so it can be sold on eBay in 2050 for major $$$.
RotorCycle is online now Find More Posts by RotorCycle
Old Apr 03, 2009, 08:58 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorCycle
The Hornet I gave my brother is setting on his bookcase in pristine condition. And it will stay that way (as a static model) so it can be sold on eBay in 2050 for major $$$.
That's what's more then likely will happen to mine, parts are scarce , my other 2 kits are still new in the box.. Wonder what those will be worth in 2050? lol..

At this point I would rather have a 2nd Ricco kit, my standard for cruising and an SE for crazy stuff... I have 2 extra 2208/20's laying in my motor drawer doing nothing..
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2009, 09:32 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,610 Posts
Just come on down (up) and drop me an email
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:26 PM
Aerospace + Airbrush
minneapolis
Joined Jul 2005
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete
Just come on down (up) and drop me an email
It really works!! Follow my easy steps: I ordered a second SE, pulled a 2208/20 off a CP, some hs-55's off my H2, a 3154 off a different CP, and dug in the parts box for a Spin-11 and 401, and wallah! Now I have a backup Ricco and several maimed Hornets. But I won't touch my X-3d, she's still sittin' pretty
radiohead is offline Find More Posts by radiohead
Old Apr 03, 2009, 10:50 PM
United States, PA, Plymouth Meeting
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts
Success! Used a c-clamp and it went in with a little guidance.

I have another question about the one way bearing. Do you lube the one way bearing with lithium grease or something like that? It seems pretty tight without any lube. Or should I just let it break in?
akshaw is offline Find More Posts by akshaw