HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2009, 07:45 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris View Post
Then you probably shouldn't ask me what kind of modifications I have been contemplating for my Ricco when I put it back together!

Hey, do you remember which pinion gear I used? It's so smooth I can't even count the nubs of the remaining teeth.

-Chris
15T.. I would reckon .. Be sure to post pics of the mods, what evil thoughts are coming out of your heli lab?
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:06 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
15T sounds right. As for the mods, if I go through with it let's just say Ricco will look like he was put in the dryer for too long.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:19 PM
Tennesee
Joined Feb 2007
504 Posts
Do it, Chris! I have been thinking about a very light weight mothed Maxir for awhile now. Just for indoor use when it is very hot or cold outside.

Gary
vanman2004b is offline Find More Posts by vanman2004b
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:23 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
Hmmm, 205mm blades on a Maxir with shrunken tail....

RJX makes 205's cheap...
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Dec 13, 2009, 09:33 PM
Tennesee
Joined Feb 2007
504 Posts
Got a link for the blades?
vanman2004b is offline Find More Posts by vanman2004b
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:41 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkpete View Post
Hmmm, 205mm blades on a Maxir with shrunken tail....
Say outta my head, Pete. That's exactly what I'm thinking. Short tail, steel drive shaft, possibly even a Trex (or clone) tail assembly since they were made to operate at crazy speed. Jack up the RPM with a bigger pinion and see what happens.

It might be a fun experiment, and certainly won't cost much to try! Worst case: It doesn't work and I put the stock stuff back on. *shrug*

-Chris
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:03 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
I have a set of the 290's that I am working with RJX to see if they can do the modifications to switch to 2mm/and shortened root length at a cost acceptable price...

I do not have any of the 205 in stock, but I can get some... They are standard 205's to fit the 250's...

Let me know if you guys want some, I'll get a bunch...
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:13 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
The unknown is whether the standard 205's have the right bolt size and root length to fit in the Ricco grips. I was planning to buy a set of the Protec 3D CF's (<$10) when I order the Trex tail parts. If they don't work, I have a friend with a Trex 250 who can use them.

-Chris
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:15 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly what I'm thinking. Short tail, steel drive shaft, ... Jack up the RPM with a bigger pinion and see what happens.
I thought that's called GAUI EP200SD

All charm of a MaxiR/Ricco is in disc loading being very close to 1kg/mē.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Dec 14, 2009, 02:13 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
Keep it large?

May be try keeping the standard configuration rotor size, motor and pinion on 4s (requiring a 4s compatible ESC). Cheaper than shrinking. With a Ricco at 3.2K RPM a max FF of about 70mph should be achievable (stock is ~50mph) and about 6-7mins of hard flying (depending on pack choice and flying demands). Not very practicle indoors .

I think the reason why going smaller with increased RPM is appealing because the relative dimensions of the shafts and materials seem to better handle the faster rotating smaller rotor mass. Where as increasing the stock size rotor past 3K rpm does require good balancing and the tail may be less possible to balance tune due to the relative forces involved on the materials in use.
But when shrunk, the weight of the components will be more noticeable on performance and handling on a smaller disk and expect a lot more problems to pop out of the wood work.

Would be interested to see whatever you try .

Edit: I see I probably missed the point . Yes try it.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Last edited by DarkHorse; Dec 14, 2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 07:31 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2po View Post
I thought that's called GAUI EP200SD
Yes, but that's a much larger investment than my experiment.

You are quite right about the disk loading, and I'm not trying to improve on the flying characteristics. I know that would be futile.

I must admit that one of the reasons I want to try going small is the crazy price of Ricco blades! It pains me to spend as much on Ricco blades as I do for my Protos blades.

-Chris
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:11 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
Quote:

You are quite right about the disk loading, and I'm not trying to improve on the flying characteristics. I know that would be futile.

I must admit that one of the reasons I want to try going small is the crazy price of Ricco blades! It pains me to spend as much on Ricco blades as I do for my Protos blades.

-Chris
Or you could leave her as your showcase showdown heli and just pickup a TR250 as a basher.. I know just what you need, another heli..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2009, 08:41 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynet11 View Post
Or you could leave her as your showcase showdown heli and just pickup a TR250 as a basher.. I know just what you need, another heli..
Stop it, Ray! That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

You may be right, it's almost blasphemous to hack on a MaxiR / Ricco. And TR250 (or clone) is not too expensive. Maybe after Christmas...

At any rate, it's time to order some parts. I'm fresh out of boom struts and main shafts.

-Chris
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:06 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
Quote:
Stop it, Ray! That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

You may be right, it's almost blasphemous to hack on a MaxiR / Ricco. And TR250 (or clone) is not too expensive. Maybe after Christmas...

At any rate, it's time to order some parts. I'm fresh out of boom struts and main shafts.

-Chris
Kinda the same philosophy as to why I haven't sold my Trex 500 after the Sniper II build, the Sniper is a work of art and quite honestly I don't take any chances with it as a result ..

I'm not so kind to my Ricco but have my Mini-T for careless heli throwing, but to be honest a TR250 would be a better fit for such a role, more so when it comes to backyard antics since I don't have the thumbs to lay down a good routine with the MT in a confined space (yet..)..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2009, 09:22 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
not really. I was able to snap the full V2 kit with everything except receiver for about $250. 287g AUW with 44g 2S batt (and I know people have them even with less weight), doubt you can make mothed Ricco mich lighter, although I would be interested to see what you can come up with, maybe then I'll make it too.

Quote:
good point, Gaui's are twice cheaper
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po