HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2003, 07:47 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
Scratch Edf Mig 1-44 Concept Const. Pics

hi all, posted before on getting info on the edf-75 6 blade fans but havent heard anything to this point so i went a head on the project any way, i can always swap out for the wemo's mf-480's if these gws dont pan out. well its going to be a functional canard delta wing configuration and of course a twin, was thinking of having elevons and the canard with each surface having its own dedicated servo and Y the left side and the right side with mixing! should be able too roll pretty tight!! has any one experimented with this canard configuration? i'm shooting for a AUW of 45oz. max!! and hoping to get it in at 43oz. the batt and other support equipment come in at 15oz. so thats leaving me with 28oz. to play with on the airframe, my k-cox f-18 came in at 39.05 and flew very well on a promax cobalt 11t and later with the fan drive-s from kontronik, my prelimanary est.auw is looking more like 48oz due too the xtra fan and two other servos, about 5oz. more for the added bagage+ the aiframe being bigger adds another 3oz. length is 42in. ws32in. heres a few early pics
ESB is offline Find More Posts by ESB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2003, 07:50 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
pic#2

fuse under way
Old Feb 20, 2003, 07:53 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
pic#3

looks like a box at this point
Old Feb 20, 2003, 07:56 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
cool deal

I built one of these a while ago for Mini Fan. I remember having a hard time getting the nose section right scale wise. The back end is cake though. And save your self some time and don't use front surfaces, they are not that effective and make CG hard to hit. Just like the Firebat they scrub way too much speed and roll rate is geriatric lol. And if your going that small you can bypass making your own wings and get a pair of Wattage YF-22 wings. there light and close enough in representation. Mine was too big to use them.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Feb 20, 2003, 08:00 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
pic#4

under belly intake, it seems too me that the blades on the rotors are to flimsy, dont know how many watts they can take, i'm really not shooting for the sound barrier on this, i know i can get alot of ompf! with 2 mf-480's and 2 bl fan drive-s's, my whole objective at this point is to get a nice flyable platform and then i'll go from there!!
Old Feb 20, 2003, 08:04 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Almost forgot

An easy way to reproduce the nose section is to get some 3 views of a Mig 29 and just take the nose section from the beginning of the lex's, and scetch the lex's in a lazy arc to the tip of the nose and you'll get the shape your looking for. And the little buttress sections around the canard sufaces, just make an airfoil shape and pin it against the sides as a wing root so to speak, and then just do some 32nd sheet flared it it to the fuse.

I'll dig up some pics of mine if I can find any

Barry
Old Feb 20, 2003, 08:07 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
mig

i know what you mean on the nose section monkawarm, alot of angles meeting curves, i'll probaly redo things 3-4 times before its close!!! have you heard any info on these fan units? any thrust #'s? im planning on using 10cp and 12cp-1300's
Old Feb 20, 2003, 08:14 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
mig

i do have 2 mf-480's but these gws fan's were givin to me so i thought i'd give them a shot, all i'm going to do is make 2 adapters for the mf-480's and if the gws fans dont work then it will be and easy swap out!!
Old Feb 20, 2003, 08:51 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
75's

Thrust is not a whole lot on those things. thinking it over actually 45oz may be a bit sluggish with those fans. I have a few of those and you can basically treat them like hot 380's with 5x2 props. There pretty much at there max with 8 hecells's so 10 cp1300's to both of them will work allright. You might, depending on how big you've allready made it, be better using Minifans in it. Don't forget, this is not only a draggy delta wing, but a draggy delta wing with tons of extra surfaces. Even with 29oz and Minifan with 8 zapped CP1700's mine wasn't exactly a smoker. If I had it again I would think about doing a plate wing on it, and a Single Midi Fan. And I too redid the nose 6 times before I just gave up trying to do it in balsa and hotwired it. Still wasn't happy with it. And I really didn't have a problem with the intakes down low. I did the Fuse sides and the divider running back right to the cone out of 32nd so it was pretty beefy. And I had a battery tray hidden just behind that sweep up underneath the intakes too. You'll find batts have to go under the plane cause in the nose it's gonna swap ends when you chuck it like the X-31.

Barry
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:17 AM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
nose section taking shape

well i got the nose pretty much ruffed in and some sheeting on it, work on the small lex and canard wings next, dont want to work on the fan area till i see what will be a good placement for c.g. purposes, + after some advice and further thought i've decided to not make the canards functional, so i'll lose some servo weight there+ a little for the hardware i'm not going to use.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:19 AM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
pic

//
Old Feb 22, 2003, 02:57 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
Good page

This is a page you should check out. It will give you a better idea of body makeup and design.

http://www.lindenhillimports.com/mig144.htm

Barry
Old Feb 23, 2003, 06:24 AM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
mig 144

wow!!! i was way off! thanks for the info barry, i'll save it for my single mf-480 project, i'll rename this one my own version, too much time and material in it too start over!!! i think i'll call it the miggle eagle, use it as a test platform! thanks for the website
Old Feb 24, 2003, 07:48 PM
ESB
PGH,PA.GO STEELERS
Joined Jan 2002
631 Posts
MIGGLE EAGLE

well since renaming my project(cause i missed the scale outline by a mile) i've since got the canard wings and batt hatch ruffed in, i oppted to buildup my canards, rudds and delta wing, i think this is a much lighter then foam sheeted surfaces, i'll be putting a bigger canopy on, used this one just too give and idea of the look,+ been building really light so my est. weight of airframe less all equipment will be around 18oz. not bad for being 42in. long with a 32in.ws
Old Mar 03, 2006, 10:29 AM
Joined Jun 2005
2 Posts
Good afternoon!
And what was farther???
Alex_belogor is offline Find More Posts by Alex_belogor