HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:40 AM
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Oct 2000
617 Posts
Discussion
Twin Boom Pusher w/ inverted V-tail

Hi all,

Almost finished my latest aerial photography model built from fan fold foam. The wing is six foot span with a spar made of bass wood and balsa caps and foam web. The center section is sheeted on the bottom to create a D-tube. The leading and trailing edges are reinforced with poplar dowels and sticks. Flight loads are also supported by kevlar flying wires. The fuselage is built of poplar and bass sticks. I haven't decided if I'll cover the front of the fuselage pod or leave it open.

Power system is a Turnigy 28-30 outrunner, APC 10x4.7 prop, Super Simple esc and 3S 2200 mah batteries. The weight should be about two pounds including the camera and mount.

-Bob
Bob Chiang is offline Find More Posts by Bob Chiang
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2008, 07:49 AM
Build, fly, learn!
Versailles, France
Joined Jul 2008
495 Posts
Looks good!
I would like to see more build pictures of it if you have some!
ADB2 is offline Find More Posts by ADB2
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:40 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,733 Posts
Verrrry interesting! a really different spin on the foamy idea. I like the "structure" think I'd leave it open/unskinned. Although more aero with skin, but you don't want a speed demon for ap.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:29 PM
England
Joined Dec 2005
308 Posts
Thank you Bob... food for thought.
Steve Mills is offline Find More Posts by Steve Mills
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:06 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
I love it !!!
I will be following your next posts with attention.
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:08 PM
Peakaboo!
Sakinee, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
1,388 Posts
It will be easy to balance with a wide range of camera size. Simply beautiful !
Gwelan is offline Find More Posts by Gwelan
Last edited by Gwelan; Oct 28, 2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2008, 06:45 PM
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Oct 2000
617 Posts
Well I'm happy to report the maiden flight was a resounding success. When I got to the field, it seemed reasonably calm, but the wind picked up as I was assembling the plane. As I held the plane up, it felt very buoyant like it wanted to fly, so what the heck. Gave it a toss and with maybe 1/4 throttle it went climbing. Nice and stable, though I had to hold in some control pressure.

Shut down to tweak the power-off trim, then gave it full throttle: this turns out to be my only model that climbs vertically (or close to it). And, I have learned that without a camera, the glide speed is about 15 miles per hour. I know this because with power off, it held it's position in the sky for at least 15 seconds, and even moved backwards very slowly There happens to be a weather station less than a mile away, and it reported about 15 mph max wind speed during the time I was flying.

I'll need to do more testing and adjusting in calm conditions, but this model has exceeded my expectations. It should provide a very capable load capacity and be very stable.
-Bob
Bob Chiang is offline Find More Posts by Bob Chiang
Old Nov 24, 2008, 05:21 AM
Onward through the fog.
Bohol Philippines
Joined Aug 2008
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Chiang
Well I'm happy to report the maiden flight was a resounding success. When I got to the field, it seemed reasonably calm, but the wind picked up as I was assembling the plane. As I held the plane up, it felt very buoyant like it wanted to fly, so what the heck. Gave it a toss and with maybe 1/4 throttle it went climbing. Nice and stable, though I had to hold in some control pressure.

Shut down to tweak the power-off trim, then gave it full throttle: this turns out to be my only model that climbs vertically (or close to it). And, I have learned that without a camera, the glide speed is about 15 miles per hour. I know this because with power off, it held it's position in the sky for at least 15 seconds, and even moved backwards very slowly There happens to be a weather station less than a mile away, and it reported about 15 mph max wind speed during the time I was flying.

I'll need to do more testing and adjusting in calm conditions, but this model has exceeded my expectations. It should provide a very capable load capacity and be very stable.
-Bob
NIce work Bob!
Looks very interesting. Kind of like a seletonized Slow-Fly Pushycat I tend to be drawn in by the unorthodox. I don't suppose you have in-flight pictures or a vid do you?

How's the control response with the "A" tail and can you give me an idea of the tail area compared to the wing area and the approximate angle at the apex of your inverted vee??

Steve.
Cybernaught is offline Find More Posts by Cybernaught
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:56 AM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,677 Posts
Looks like if you covered the fuselage it would make a good seaplane from the nose's shape.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Nov 24, 2008, 03:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Interesting design... Post videos of it in action... I like to see how well it flies.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG