Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Discussion
Turborix ESC programming?

Hello,

I have the following equipment:

Turborix 120A ESC http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81706_120
Turborix Programmign Card http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81707_pc
X Power 3880 2868-8 Inrunner motor (for boat) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320260439811

For Radio Gear:

Team Associated TR203A mini Rx http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/384660.asp
Team Associated XP2 Tx (RC18MT) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ASSOCIATED-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Links provided for reference.

With my last ESC (Mystery 60A) It was plug and play. I plugged it in, it beeped a few times and away I went. Not so with this unit...

I plug in the programming card and it just says read... Never changes even after 1/2 hour.

The instruction are in broken english and a piss poor photo copy. So between the both I cant figure this out. I kept playing with it and got it to work, but it was like full speed? Cant even do it again.

Ive been playing around with this unit for about 3 hours now with no luck. Ive searched around and I really cant find anything on this ESC.

Please note the Tx has a lot of option on it and Im not sure what they all do or where they should be set. Last run with the boat I discovered the dial by the trigger wasnt up all the way... WHich lead to about 1 minute of ballistic boating before the ESC died RIP :0

HELP!

I really want to get my boat in the water tomorrow! Supposed to snow Tuesday! yikes!
Basstronics is offline Find More Posts by Basstronics
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:04 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,116 Posts
Hi Basstronics,

Did you contact the seller?

It seems one, or both items is/are defective.

Does the manual mention setting up the ESC by way of beeping? If so, you could try that.
Does it need setting up at all, as the text mentions auto detection?

Did you try another (stick) transmitter?

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Oct 26, 2008, 05:27 AM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Wrong card?

Bass, you might have the wrong card, r2hobbies offers two Bi-directional cards but only one says it's compatible with the single directional ESC. Try to contact them and ask them about the difference. I have a card with this motor http://r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81707_50. Worked just fine until I smoked it. Now I have a card but no ESC. I believe they sent me a 30A instead of a 50A (found the 30A decal between cooling block and ESC). I haven't complained yet (I took some pics), I'm still thinking how to go about doing that. Hope this helps! Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Last edited by pkboo; Oct 26, 2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: BooBoo on info!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Pomp,

In the past when I contact the seller it takes days to hear back and theres just a language barrier that prevents effective communication. I will give it a try though.

The manual with the ESC on the right side the text isnt photo copied well making it hard to guess the words. Also its all in broken english and some of it makes no sense.

Boo,

Where I can read, it says this ESC has an extra plug for use with a programming card.

Guys Im starting to wonder if its a setting on the transmitter? Its got a throttle advance Hi and Low. Theres also a thumbwheel next to the trigger. Is there any special place I should have these set?

From what I can read in the manual, the ESC makes a fast beep when the Tx isnt showing at minimum or maximum position. So does that mean I need everything advanced or low?

Should I just get a new TX?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:19 AM
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Hooray!

I found the manual for my transmitter, now Im better informed!

I reset everything to neutral, plugged in the whole deal (minus programming card).

For the future if anyone else has these issues:

Throttle Advance HI -> max setting
Throttle Advance LO -> low setting
Throttle Trim-> low setting

Turn tx on. Turn boat on. Motor starts the fast paced di-di-di noise. Pull trigger for max throttle. Motor makes chime like noise, then 3 beeps. After third beep quickly move throttle to opposite position. Motor makes one beep. HOLD THIS POSITION. Motor makes music noise. Then one beep.

Ready to fly or the water in my case!

Now to figure out the programming card. Im not sure how many poles my motor is (any way to tell?) so Im not sure if I need hard or soft timing?

Now to get my turn fins on and charge batts. Its cool out and windy, light rain here and there.
Last edited by Basstronics; Oct 26, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:12 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,289 Posts
Basstronics.
Good fun trying to understand Chinglish isn't it ?
Firstly, as pkboo said, you need the right card. The one you have is for their Bi-directional ESCs
You need the other one with all the LEDs on it for that 120A Advance ESC, I think. Although... I do have both. I've never tried the reversing one on the Advance series of ESCs.
The Bi-directional card you have does have a single direction only mode as well as the Bi-direction mode. But I think you need the other card.
Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:49 PM
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
I sent them off a little E Mail.

I just opened up my props and they are all to small. Only plus is the will fit on my Mini Rio. So Im trying a bigger prop on it today...

I got my second battery balancing right now. Once done Im going to take a run. I hope it works right. Its just to cold for a swim.... lol

No vid unless I can get someone to go
Old Oct 26, 2008, 08:36 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,289 Posts
Hey Basstronics.
I just tried the Bi-directional card that you have on my Turborix Advance 80A speedie & I can tell you for sure they don't work. Sorry . You definitely need the other one. In my opinion they are easier to use than the bi-directional ones anyway.
The main thing you have to do is set the battery type with your transmitter before you take it for a run. That's NmHi or Lipo. the factory default setting is Lipo I think so if you're using NmHi cells you will have to change it. Here's some instructions that may help.
Scroll down to post No 20 & open the PDF file. Thanks to Waboats

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=904744&page=2

The factory default settings for timing are "auto" so there's no need to touch that.
Of course the card is much more simple.
Cheers.
Paul.
Last edited by 785boats; Oct 26, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 09:33 PM
Joined Jun 2008
178 Posts
Well that helps a lot.

The broken english still will make it hard to understand how to program it. But I guess I really dont need to.

I thought you could program sensitivity etc?

Dunno Im just a noob.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,289 Posts
The card allows you to change the Lipo low voltage cutout from 2.8V to 2.9, 3.0,or 3.1. Or NmHi to 55%, 63% or 71%. This can't be done with the transmitter setup. If that's what you mean by sensitivity.
Regards.
Paul.
Old Mar 08, 2009, 01:52 PM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Hi all

As I can see in this thread, some of you own this ESC prog. card:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail....d=rcps81707_pc

Could you provide some information about its hardware?

As you can see in this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...967207&page=23

Some of us think it would be possible to hack the ESC prog card to program the Turborix 2.4GHz 6ch system (also, might be a good and cheap platform for other projects).

Main information would be the MCU this card is using (PIC, Atmel?), and some photos of the internals would be very helpful, so, if somebody could post this information (here, or in the other thead), it would be very appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Old Mar 08, 2009, 03:00 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Pics

Here you go, I don't if it's much use though! Boo
Old Mar 09, 2009, 05:18 AM
Espaņa, AL, Sevilla
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkboo
Here you go, I don't if it's much use though! Boo
Thank you very much!!

It is just the information I needed. The PCB is sigle sided, and seems it hasn't important components under the LCD. The MCU is the IC located in the lower right corner of the 2nd photo (marked in red), and the golden pads near it (yellow) seem to be for ICSP (in circuit serial programming), so it's possible the MCU is programmable.

If you could post a close up photo of the MCU where it's possible to see the letters on it, or just post those letters here, the info would be complete (sometimes it's hard to read even with it in your hands, so unless you have a good camera maybe the latter is the only possibility).

Again, thank you very much.
MoFl is offline Find More Posts by MoFl
Last edited by MoFl; Mar 09, 2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2009, 12:19 PM
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Sep 2008
80 Posts
Looks very promising.
Waiting for a better picture.

t.i.a

hans
keepitsimple is offline Find More Posts by keepitsimple
Old Mar 09, 2009, 01:07 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
It's a better pic IMHO but

Guys, sorry I think they some clever work in concealing what you need The four dots are just that, 4 copper dots at the end of that etch. The number on the chip is eligible, y tried to look at it under the loupe (magnifying glass) but no dice. Do you have any other way to get the information if you have the program card.... I'm thinking Hans lives in Holland so do I.... Let me know! Boo